High-test, ethanol free gas between Pottsville and Tamaqua

I drove 209 from Pottsville to Tamaqua a couple of weeks back. Along the way, there was a small, old-timey gas station with a hand written sign out front saying "ethanol free high test". I could not stop to investigate as I was following a guy and had no idea where I was or where I was going.

I am always on the hunt for some 93 octane pure-gasoline. In my last trip to Virginia, I found a lot of low-test pure gasoline for only about $0.30 more than regular ethanol, but no high test. And I don't need to pay $10/gallon for 100+ octane racing fuel (which is at least easy to find).

Does anyone know about this station? How much do they charge? Is it for real? etc.?

Not real sure about where in Pottsville. But here in Jersey any small airport will sell you ethanol free fuel. I have used it for years as a marine mechanic for winterizing boats. I'm not 100% on the octane level, for some reason I believe it is 95 octane, but don't quote me on that.

Fegley's Mini-Mart,  30 Center St, Tamaqua, PA 18252

Don Fegley rides a KTM.  That's the reason they have the ethanol free gas.

Bob K.

• Like 1

Have you looked at Puregas.org?  They may help but call first.  The list can be edited by customers (incorrectly) and stations change too.  I've found incorrect info in my area.

16 minutes ago, motoxvet said:

Have you looked at Puregas.org?  They may help but call first.  The list can be edited by customers (incorrectly) and stations change too.  I've found incorrect info in my area.

Yeah, I've looked, but I've not found it useful. Too often too out of date.

29 minutes ago, Rgksr said:

Fegley's Mini-Mart,  30 Center St, Tamaqua, PA 18252 Don Fegley rides a KTM.  That's the reason they have the ethanol free gas.

The one I saw was not all the way into Tamaqua, just a random store out on the highway. But I'll try Fengley's too. Do you know if they have 93 octane? Thx

Edited by pat22043

1 hour ago, pat22043 said:

Yeah, I've looked, but I've not found it useful. Too often too out of date.

There is another web site that does basically the same as Puregas but I don't remember the name of it...

Pat,

Yes they have 93.  Like I said Don rides a KTM, he's good friends with my neighbor.

Bob K.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ssobel80 said:

Not real sure about where in Pottsville. But here in Jersey any small airport will sell you ethanol free fuel. I have used it for years as a marine mechanic for winterizing boats. I'm not 100% on the octane level, for some reason I believe it is 95 octane, but don't quote me on that.

It's 100LL (low lead).  I run it in my lawnmowers, not for the high octane but because it doesn't go stale over time and keeps the carb from gumming up.  I use it in the dirt bikes as well, every third tank or so.  

It's 100LL (low lead).  I run it in my lawnmowers, not for the high octane but because it doesn't go stale over time and keeps the carb from gumming up.  I use it in the dirt bikes as well, every third tank or so.  

Yep that's why I used it for a winter mix. I would run it through the engines so it sat over winter with this fuel that doesn't go bad.

I went to Fegley's Mini-mart and picked up 5 gallons of ethanol free 93 octane gas. It was $3.09 a gallon. That is a great price. And I met Don Fegley, we talked KTMs, riding, etc. Great guy. Everyone: buy gas at his stores.

I went to the one at 551 W Penn Pike, Tamaqua, PA 18252

It is clearly the corporate HQ of Fegley Oil.

There are two other mini-marts: 

30-36 Center Street, Tamaqua, Pennsylvania 18252

146 South Kennedy Drive, McAdoo, Pennsylvania 18237

Don said that he had to label the premium as having "up to 3% ethanol" because of the pump has three grades. The regular is 10% ethanol. The mid-grade is a mix of pure and 10%. The premium is 100% pure gasoline, but there can be a tenth of a gallon or so in the pipes and hoses. He labeled it "up to 3%" to cover that. If you use the old Cary Nation motto: lips that touch alcohol will never touch mine, then put the first quart into your car/truck and then fill your five gallon can.