Yellow plastic for 400S

Hi everyone,

I'm having a terrible time finding a plastics kit to change a white drz to yellow.  I want yellow fenders, radiator shrouds, side-panels, and head-light fairing.  Also am looking for a used yellow tank on ebay, since I know that would be separate from any kit.

As far as buying things separately, did I hear correctly that there are two different shades of yellow for the DRZ?  A yellow and a fluorescent yellow?

Which one is easier to get?

Which one is more similar to an RM?

Most kits have white number plates. The R Tec kit's fender is a bit more like a stock SM, better than stock S fender. I forget what kind of fender the Acerbis kit has.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281579329450

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232262047113

You will need to buy the headlight shroud separate. The SM one looks better, slightly more modern, and should fit on an S. Here the part number for a yellow one: 51811-29F50-YU1

You can also just buy an aftermarket headlight however. Maybe a white would look good to match the number plates.

Can't comment on the different yellows, RM color comparison or how well R Tec matches OEM.

• Like 2

The earlier yellow was more of a mustard shade than the bright yellow of the RMs.

Only the earliest ('00-'02) E models were solid yellow making them look like bumble bees.The white side panels and headlight shroud gives the yellow bikes a nice contrast.Their yellow headlight fairing was smaller for the non-dot 35w headlight and so will not accept the 55-60w headlamp of the S/SM models.

• Like 2

Thanks guys.  I've seen the R tec ads, and they look nice but I want yellow side-panels instead of white.  The 2nd link for the Acerbis kit says it doesn't fit the 'S' model, although maybe that's only because of some rear fender trimming needed?

Good to know that I should at least be sure to look for a used tank newer than '01 to match any new plastic.

Also good to know to stop wasting my time looking for a kit that includes a headlight fairing.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 1:37 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

The color change was company wide. The earlier RM were also the Mustard Yellow. The new color started in 01.

Typically aftermarket call it "01+ yellow"

My '01 S is the old yellow color. I think that the new yellow started in '02 or '03.

• Like 1

Ive always wondered if its possible to find that old mustard yellow like my 01 is .  It matches the Clarke Tank nicely. 

Ive always wondered if its possible to find that old mustard yellow like my 01 is .  It matches the Clarke Tank nicely. 

Yes, I was on Dennis Kirk and they had both for the fenders. They are both called RM Yellow. You have to read the description. Mustard is model years 89 -00. The new yellow is 01 on.