2001 GASGAS EC200

Hello all,

New to this Gas Gas bike.  Actually, new to 2-stroke and motocross in general.  So I picked up this bike, it seems to be pretty well maintained, and it runs pretty good.  It is for my son, he is 14 and pretty tall.  Yes, this is his first also.  He has ridden this once at a training day, and I have ridden around the neighborhood a couple of times.  It seems to crank pretty well with the choke, and once run, it doesn't seem to have any issues starting.

I have noticed on the couple of times around the neighborhood, I have oil coming from the exhaust pipe.  I am wondering if this is normal?  The original owner instructed us on how to mix the gas, but I am not sure if I have it too rich with oil or what.  He gave us Spectro 32:1 2cycle oil and said to mix 2.5 -3 ozs per gallon.  I mixed at the 2.5 per gallon at this point.  Seeing how the Spectro oil is hard to come by other than Amazon, I was also wondering what others use and how it is mixed.

So far, we really love this little ride.  My son is thinking about all the upgrades he wants to do, and how to spend good ole dads money.  At this point, I just want to make sure everything is right with the bike.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 14 year old as well. So I know all about spending dads money.

I would just get a ratio rite.

https://www.amazon.com/Ratio-Rite-Measuring-Cup-does-come/dp/B000I1YLGK

I mix all my gassers at 50:1. With Klotz supertechniplate.

But if he's been using 32:1 thats more oil and its not getting burned off and running out the exhaust (its called spooge). Won't really hurt anything except the muffler packing but they usually need changed anyway.

Where are you located? I bet Matto's can get it for you. I have a decent race shop that stocks what I need.

I personally have always used 50:1  . 

My new husqvarna 60:1

I think it's more to do with better quality oils nowadays .

It might be jetted slightly rich too. I see a lot of 2 strokes through the workshop with very rich jetting

I am located in Chattanooga.  I am sure this thing is probably a little rich.  you can ride it and come back smelling like exhaust and rich fuel. 

I just grabbed a measuring device from Amazon, just not that one.  Haven't really looked at it just yet, as we have been working on the YZ250F that we also got that needed head work.  About together with that, and will be going through the GAS GAS in a couple of days.

I have a good line on Amsoil products, and was thinking of changing to their oil.  Any thoughts?

Didn't know anything about the exhaust packing, I will have to check that out also.  Anyone sell that, or is it kind of generic?

• Like 1

So we lost the kick starter today during a ride.  Never found it.  Anyone have on laying around that is not needed?

There are some threads on gasgasrider.org that discuss compatible kick start levers. IIRC, a YZ250 kicker fits.

3 hours ago, DaveCR said:

There are some threads on gasgasrider.org that discuss compatible kick start levers. IIRC, a YZ250 kicker fits.

+1 on what he said  ^  fits very well and is more durable

So we lost the kick starter today during a ride.  Never found it.  Anyone have on laying around that is not needed?

One of mine has the YZ kicker. Its a little longer for leverage. Fit fine.

So I got the kick start, yes, the 2003 YZ250 fits great.  Now, he wants risers, but I am thinking about adding bars because they look a little bent.  So how do you decide an bars?  So many bends and styles.

2 hours ago, HEEP said:

So I got the kick start, yes, the 2003 YZ250 fits great.  Now, he wants risers, but I am thinking about adding bars because they look a little bent.  So how do you decide an bars?  So many bends and styles.

Popular bend is the CR High if your son is say 5'8" or taller. 

16 hours ago, HEEP said:

It is all personal preference.  Can he go to a local bike shop and see what he likes or does he have friends with bikes he can try?

We all have renthal RC (Ricky Carmichael) High bend. Different than CR.

Tall pretty flat and not a lot of sweep. Grip area is large for positioning of levers. I’m 6’. My 19 year old is 6’2”.

• Like 1

So new thing today.  Son is complaining about lack or power through the power band.  Says it doesn't seem to rev like it did.  We have been off the bikes since I had a major fall, and he just got back on yesterday and today.  So am I looking at a top end rebuild, clogged filter, spark plug?  I need to be able to go to the garage with a good plan of attack, as I cannot spend too much tme out there due to healing.

Clean filter

clean carb /set float height and record the jetting in there

check reeds 

replace spark plug

ended up being the plug.  sounded like it was being choked down with no power as he said.  checked air filter and it was clean, and oiled.  pulled the plug, and it was fouled, and the screw on electrode on the top was stripped and not making good contact.  this probably helped foul the plug I'm sure.

Next issue is to try to mount the side plastics better.  The two screws that attach them to the tank.   Is there a better method?  I thought about installing a nutcert to put a bigger bolt and washer to hold them on.  if anyone knows a better way, please let me know.

also, thanks so much for all the help.  it is greatly appreciated.

On 21/12/2017 at 6:21 AM, HEEP said:

ended up being the plug.  sounded like it was being choked down with no power as he said.  checked air filter and it was clean, and oiled.  pulled the plug, and it was fouled, and the screw on electrode on the top was stripped and not making good contact.  this probably helped foul the plug I'm sure.

Next issue is to try to mount the side plastics better.  The two screws that attach them to the tank.   Is there a better method?  I thought about installing a nutcert to put a bigger bolt and washer to hold them on.  if anyone knows a better way, please let me know.

also, thanks so much for all the help.  it is greatly appreciated.

If the plug was  fouled you need to do some jetting 

• Like 1

I know we do.  Probably more of a complete cleanup of the carb.  We are trying to get through the riding season.  Our plan was to go through as much of the bike as we could.  Carb was number 1 on the list.  Then on to tires and bushings throughout.

Ok guys,

Working on new bars and getting them mounted up this week.  Looking at the bark busters that need a little work, and I can handle that, but the brake and clutch levers have been modified and really need to be replaced.  So looking for them online, I am not seeing anyone that covers 2001 models, either at Rockymountain or even EBAY.  So any ideas on how to find levers to replace the stock ones?