Which bike to replace grandson's kx-60?

My Grandson is 11 and is getting a little too big for his older KX-60. He hasn't outgrown the power, just the size/frame of the bike. 

Not sure of his height but his inseam is 26.5 inches, he weighs around 90 lbs. 

He doesn't race motocross. We live in Idaho and ride atv trails.  He is still a little over cautious when riding, sometimes a little nervous and some of that comes from still getting used to the powerband of the KX-60 and also due to the fact that his stepdad doesn't take him riding very often, couple times per summer and then his KX sits outside under a tarp rest of the year. 

So, I want to get him a bike and keep it in my garage next to my 250-xc and then I can take him riding all summer, get him comfortable riding. He loves to ride and has been begging for me to get him a bike and take him camping/riding. 

I am looking at the CRF-125 and the KLX-140. But looking online it looks like those two bikes make 8 hp where his current KX-60 makes almost double that amount. 

Is the CRF-125 Torque good? For trail riding, I think TQ is probably more important than hp for a kid still gaining confidence.

Brakes on the CRF 125 are disc in front, drum in rear.  KLX is disc in both front and rear.

Other than that, they both have electric start, with no kickstarter, which makes me nervous but oh well.

They both have crappy little suspensions but at this age, probably not too important.

I just lean towards the CRF for reasons of Honda durability/Longevity.  Those older XR 75's are what I grew on in the 70's and they were bulletproof. 

I'll have him sit on both and get his opinion, of course, but I want to get him a bike that will last him playing around on trails until he is 16, and then get him a 250X. 

Besides the KLX 140 and the CRF-125F, any other bikes to suggest looking at? 

For the kids I have been around who went from the kx 60 at around the same size,  they all adapted nicely to the kx85 and kx 100 if they are tall enough.  the kx100 actually has an easier engine to get used to.  buying an 85 with a tired cylinder and doing the conversion may be viable too.   in case you haven't checked,  the port timing on the 100 is substantially retarded from the 85,  as all kawasaki did was bore the cylinder,  and match the combustion chamber to the bigger piston.   he may still be slightly short for the larger wheels.  my friend's grandkids seemed to benefit from lower gears on the 85,  but some of them had moved off of a tt110 and had to  learn to use a clutch.  all of them seemed more at home with the axle pulled as back as far as we could get it and have a smidge left for chain adjustments.  you are already mixing fuel for the xc anyway.   you might be suprised at how much he changes with some riding time.  He is also as you likely recall approaching the growth spurt stage.  

• Like 1

thank you for the advice. I might let him try a crf 125 on the dirt lot behind our dealer and let him see how gutless it is compared to his kx-60. Then if he gets over his 4 stroke curiosity, I can get him on a kx100. I ride a two stroke for life and dont want to have to carry two different gas cans. Plus, two strokes are much lighter and easier to pick up at that age.  

I think the skill set he has already learned would make him a good candidate for the kx 100 or kx 85 modded.   The suzuki 85 is worth looking into as well.  the yamahas and hondas are more high strung,  no pv etc.   larger feel too.  

• Like 1