XR650L NEED SUGGESTIONS ! Hey.. I welcome ideas.. Please !

I am the very proud new owner of a Honda XR650L 1999 model.

The bike has a few minor mods thus far. The smog kit is gone, the muffler baffle is removed, carb jetted, and am running Metzler Enduro's. I have a small shield I am considering placing on from National Cycle. This is dual purpose, but my primary mission, I mean purpose is the modified evil urban transport assult vehicle... Or my primary transportation to work. Knowing that, does anyone have any sprocket & chain suggestions? How about the shock dust covers? Ideas.. I am so into this bike, and just want the best preformance I can get out of it on the street. I don't want a sport bike or cycle.. It's not an affordability issue..I have to have the XR on the road.. I am just so in love with everything about the bike ! (Can you tell I just got it ??!!) Please anyone.. ANY suggestions !!

Many thanks !!!! jazz........ :)

I recently purchased a 98, its in the custody of the park police presently, but when I get it back im installing emgo mirrors, ims 4 gal tank, custom machined lowering link, and a corbin seat. I purchased all the parts on ebay. I too was considering a shield because being as big as I am once on the highway my body is like a sail catching the wind. let me know if the shield makes a dramatic difference.

I recently purchased a 98, its in the custody of the park police presently, but when I get it back im installing emgo mirrors, ims 4 gal tank, custom machined lowering link, and a corbin seat. I purchased all the parts on ebay. I too was considering a shield because being as big as I am once on the highway my body is like a sail catching the wind. let me know if the shield makes a dramatic difference.

A shield makes a huge difference! I put a Slipstream Spitfire shield on my L and it really makes riding on the highway at 65/70 more enjoyable. I am 5'11" tall and the shield completely takes the blast off of my chest. I catch some wind on the helmet, but it's not to bad. And the nice thing about it is, it comes off in minutes. :) I was never one for shields on a bike, but it comes down to function over form, so I don't care. Get a shield, you will not regret it.

Hey Slip,

Got any pic's posted on this shield and mounting?

I recently purchased a 98, its in the custody of the park police presently

What's up with that?

I actually got the shield from my boss, who sold me the bike. He purchased a bad-a$$ 2004 xr650l. He placed a sheild on his. He says it has made ALL the difference in the world. At 75mph, it is very fatiguing. He said now at 75mph. he can ride very comfortably with just one hand. But he's one bad mother*^%$% anyway !! jazz...

Someone told me a place to ride where cops wouldnt bother me, well the opposite was true. They threw the book at me for riding on public property occupied by telephone poles :). The guy that told me about the place rode there 20 years ago, so that shows how long its been there being used by bikes/atvs. Long Island sucks for dual sporting. So Im waiting to get my motorcycle license then ill get my bike out the pound $500 fee

I mean purpose is the modified evil urban transport assult vehicle...

:D :D :D:)

Hey Slip,

Got any pic's posted on this shield and mounting?

Sure,

000_073.JPG

and here:

000_0074.JPG

:)

Here's another pic.

000_0073.JPG

that shield is cool. I want one.

Where is National Cycle? Any idea what it costs?

Yep, that's where I got mine. Can't beat the price of $42. :)

I got mine on eBay from CargoLargo. Brand new in box, instructions and all parts for $20.50. :)