07 CR125 budget build

Just got me an 07 CR125 in pretty good shape for $1900. Goal is strip the whole bike apart and go over and inspect every part, get it all cleaned up and back together again with as little money as possible. This will be a budget build and one of my main goals is to make it look like a tad bit modern( 2017 CRF450 front fender, fork guards, number plate, brake rotors) but still keep it stock CR looking. Selling the applied triple clamps in the pictures for $250 if anyone is interested. Also the red twinwalls 998 bend. More to come once I get everything apart.

IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6514.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

Edited by macz400
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

why are you selling the clamps?

Just want to look as stock as possible with a few tasteful mods. Never really cared for red clamps either, preferred the polished silver look. 

IMG_6519.JPG

IMG_6520.JPG

IMG_6521.JPG

1 minute ago, gunters96lt1 said:

Awesome, cant wait to see how this bikes ends up.

Don't get too excited. This won't be one of those super trick CR builds that I see on Vital, just setting myself for a budget of around $500 to spend and parts. I'm sure when it's all said and done it will be more like $700 lol

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, macz400 said:

Don't get too excited. This won't be one of those super trick CR builds that I see on Vital, just setting myself for a budget of around $500 to spend and parts. I'm sure when it's all said and done it will be more like $700 lol

Well if its anything like the 07 250 you did itll be a really nice bike.

Before and after frame pics. Scrubbed it with simple green on maroon scotchbrite pads. Then sprayed it with Alumabrite and let it sit for 15 seconds then sprayed off. Going to touch up a few spots tomorrow.

IMG_6557.JPG

IMG_6558.JPG

IMG_6559.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

IMG_6563.JPG

IMG_6564.JPG

• Like 7

On 8 May 2017 at 9:06 PM, macz400 said:

Just got me an 07 CR125 in pretty good shape for $1900. Goal is strip the whole bike apart and go over and inspect every part, get it all cleaned up and back together again with as little money as possible. This will be a budget build and one of my main goals is to make it look like a tad bit modern( 2017 CRF450 front fender, fork guards, number plate, brake rotors) but still keep it stock CR looking. Selling the applied triple clamps in the pictures for $250 if anyone is interested. Also the red twinwalls 998 bend. More to come once I get everything apart.

IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6514.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

That looks in pretty good knick mate, $1900 is a bargain, well would be in the uk , these are fetching around 2.5k here

• Like 1

Before and after pics of the linkage. Didn't clean it up as nicely as I did on my 250 but don"t really care too much about the appearance since it's basically out of sight. Dumped out all the bearings and regressed everything. This is probably the first time I was able to use all the bearings without having to replace any of them. Even the lower shock bolt. That's usually the first one to go. 

IMG_6586.JPG

IMG_6588.JPG

• Like 2

Before and after pics of the linkage. Didn't clean it up as nicely as I did on my 250 but don"t really care too much about the appearance since it's basically out of sight. Dumped out all the bearings and regressed everything. This is probably the first time I was able to use all the bearings without having to replace any of them. Even the lower shock bolt.

The short bolt that connects the linkage to the swingarm in my 2002 CR125 I'm sure had been sitting there for 15 years without any service at all. I had to pound it out with socket extensions and a heavy Hammer to get it to pop out. I mushroom the end tip of the bolt getting it out and it won't go back in. At one point it was so bad I thought I might have to use a Sawzall to cut it out. The amount of neglect seen by these bearings is phenomenal.
  • Like 1