2017 300rr overcharging

I fitted a lithium battery last week and on sunday raced the bike it was fine for race 1 but race 2 the starter relay just clicked so had to kickstart the bike when I got home I fitted the standard battery back on and it started fine so I checked the charging rate and as I revved the bike it went up to 17.6 volts so I presume the regulator is faulty anyone had any similar problems and any idea how much a regulator costs

I fitted a lithium battery last week and on sunday raced the bike it was fine for race 1 but race 2 the starter relay just clicked so had to kickstart the bike when I got home I fitted the standard battery back on and it started fine so I checked the charging rate and as I revved the bike it went up to 17.6 volts so I presume the regulator is faulty anyone had any similar problems and any idea how much a regulator costs

i put a lithium battery in from the dealer on my 17 300. no problems been about 6 weeks

I am also having this problem, 17.5 volts with std battery. I can actually hear the battery boiling after shutting down. Also the oil injection has failed and is not working at all. I have likely damage to the engine from lack of oil. It actually stalled a couple times and was really hot, boiling coolant. I have this suspicion that the voltage regulator failure has also damage the oil injection ecu. Going to contact my dealer this week. Not happy.

2017 300rr with about 30 hrs.

Edited by Berto300
  • Like 1

I was buying a new standard battery for my street bike recently from my local KTM/Beta dealer and I mentioned my old battery was reading 19V but did not have the amps to even turn over the bike. One of the shop dudes said, once you have the battery installed in the bike and while its running, check the voltage. If is more than say 14V, most likely a defective voltage regulator. I checked and it was 14V so I'm assuming I toasted the old battery by not charging it correctly.

This might give you some ideas but IMO for a 2017 bike I would be taking it a Beta dealer if you can and asking them to sort it out for you.

looking on the net last night it appears there is a problem with the 2017 voltage rectifiers.

this also explains why my oil pump stopped working although i caught it in time and have since removed the oil tank and pump and now pre mix the 2 stroke oil.going to ring the supplying dealer this morning be interesting to see what happens especially as is the second bike i have bought from there.unfortunately i need the bike sorted quickly as i have another race this sunday.so whats the odds i end up having to pay for a new rectifier on a 20 hr old bike....

well i have had to pay for a new voltage regulator although did get a bit of discount and apparently the dealer said beta uk have never had any problems with them on the 2017 rr models i asked if the regulator is the same as the bike comes with and it is so he gave me a reassurance it wont also go wrong.we shall see i really like and enjoy my beta unfortunately this problem has soured it a bit for me.

i fitted the new voltage regulator when i got home from work and it is still overcharging this bike is seriously trying my patience now not what you expect from a bike thats only been ridden 7 or 8 times from new.has anyone got any ideas what else could be causing this.i have checked the charging rate with 2 different meters and its still reaching nearly 18 volts when you rev it and to make it worse im supposed to be leaving tomorrow lunchtime (saturday)for a big race on sunday.

Hey Adam you are having some bad luck☹ . I have taken mine to the Dealer today, 7 hour round trip ?. I am hoping to hear something back in the next few days, he has already been talking to Beta Australia about it. I will keep you posted. It will be a good test to see how well Beta back their product and warranty. I have 25 hours on mine. My speedo is also flickering badly so maybe the overcharge has damaged it as well. 

hi berto300 sorry to hear your having problems as well is this problem just on the 2017 300rr or is it other models as well in the uk you get 1 months warranty and that is it what do you get in oz.When I bought the bike new I got the dealer to remove all lights and dash etc and just fit an mx front number board so its not as if I could have shorted anything out.if anyone else reads this post could you check your charging rate at tickover and when you rev it and let me know the results plus if you have a problem its better to know before you damage your bike.be interesting to see what the dealer has to say when I calmly speak to them today.

i raced yesterday just unplugged the voltage regulator so it didnt charge and am taking the bike back to the dealer on saturday having told him i want the bike sorted out regardless of wether its out of warranty,here in the uk we get 1 months warranty only but my arguement is i have now ridden the bike 9 times only and also the new regulator he sent me out last week doesnt work either overcharging more than the faulty one that was on the bike.also its the second bike i have bought from him in 2 years.