Sign in to follow this  

KTM jetting problems

I have an '08 200 xc that smokes excessively. I have rejetted it to KTM recommended specs for my location and temperature yesterday and it seems to smoke even more. Before it had a 162 main and a 45 idle with the needle at the 2nd clip. I changed it to KTM spec with a 175 (supposed to be 180 but 175 was the closest I had) and 3rd clip on the needle. Which made no sense because that made it run more rich, but it's what KTM recommends. It smokes just as much if not more. Bike has no air leak, and the seals were good. I have no idea what the heck is wrong with it, makes me mad because I spent 3 hours yesterday changing the jets twice, with no improvement. I'm running a 32:1 ratio with yamalube oil at approx. 300 meters above sea level. What the heck is going on?

I find the manual's jetting recommendations to be overly rich also. Is 32:1 ok ratio also the KTM recommendation? If you go too lean, that can lead to failures though. I'm still working out my 150 one step at a time. What are your temperatures?

I find the manual's jetting recommendations to be overly rich also. Is 32:1 ok ratio also the KTM recommendation? If you go too lean, that can lead to failures though. I'm still working out my 150 one step at a time. What are your temperatures?

I figured that 32:1 is a little rich, but not enough to make THIS big of a difference. I jetted it for 61-79F and it's exactly 61 now, so Temperature might have a little to do with it, but it still smokes like this even at 95F

just lean it out. go to a 160 main and one leaner pilot jet. then go from there

I think a higher oil to fuel ratio creates a lean condition with less fuel to be combusted. What does KTM say to use?

32:1, which is actually richer than most people use but I try to stick with KTMs recommendations

26 minutes ago, aray7654 said:

32:1, which is actually richer than most people use but I try to stick with KTMs recommendations

What elevation ?

Why 32:1 ?

Do you race mx or lots of sand ?

Usually they are 50:1...... my old 1981 cr450 ran 32:1 lol

Machining tolerances and oils are much better nowadays. 

New ktms 60:1 is recommended. 

One thing about the jetting charts are they are only a recommendation,  and every bike is slightly different. 

I'd say go back to the original jetting you had fitted. Drain  the tank and put some 50:1 mixture and see if it's any better.

Is the smoking a new problem or has it always done it?

I'm thinking you have your terms backwards, unless you're saying most people run something like 24:1 in a 200. Then 32:1 "would be" richer. When talking rich or lean, it's always fuel that's being described, not the amount of oil.

A 5 size jump on the main from where it was at a 162 is ridiculous. If the KTM specs were right and it should have been running a 175-180 all this time, seems to me that you'd have burned it up running a 162 long ago.

How do you ride? WFO all the time or casual trail riding? It helps with smoke and spooge to match the premix oils flash point with the type riding you do. If you ride WFO all the time, the Yamalubes 255* flash point is probably fine, but if you are a casual trail rider, you might use an oil that's a little lower. But whatever you do, pick a mix ratio and stick with it, and jet around it.

You said you've rejetted for "your location". Did you recently buy the bike from someone at a significantly different elevation?

Was the bike running and performing well with the previous jetting, no plug fouling or signs of running lean on it?

I'm thinking you have your terms backwards, unless you're saying most people run something like 24:1 in a 200. Then 32:1 "would be" richer. When talking rich or lean, it's always fuel that's being described, not the amount of oil.
A 5 size jump on the main from where it was at a 162 is ridiculous. If the KTM specs were right and it should have been running a 175-180 all this time, seems to me that you'd have burned it up running a 162 long ago.
How do you ride? WFO all the time or casual trail riding? It helps with smoke and spooge to match the premix oils flash point with the type riding you do. If you ride WFO all the time, the Yamalubes 255* flash point is probably fine, but if you are a casual trail rider, you might use an oil that's a little lower. But whatever you do, pick a mix ratio and stick with it, and jet around it.
You said you've rejetted for "your location". Did you recently buy the bike from someone at a significantly different elevation?
Was the bike running and performing well with the previous jetting, no plug fouling or signs of running lean on it?

You are correct, i meant to say leaner, in terms of fuel mixture, not jetting. I got the bike from a guy that raced gncc around here but traveled a lot so it's hard to tell if he had it jetted for a certain race, or if he always ran it that way. I've only had the bike for a half a year, and have put maybe 10 hrs on it. I've ran the yamalube in my 125sx and rm125 and have no problems whatsoever. The funny thing is, the bike ran completely fine with its old jetting, and seems no different with the new jetting. It's just the freaking smoke and spooge, which looks stupid when you're on the track. It's beyond me that 162 is not recommended anywhere on KTMs jetting chart yet with that jet, it needs to run leaner.