Well I finally got one. This thing just followed me all the way home friday. Got to go out and ride yesterday and the suspension is soft but it tracks so well. My question is if I put new springs in will I have to change the valving? I'm in western oregon and mostly ride single track in the coast range. I was worried about the weight of the bike but I half to say it feels lighter and more nimble than my 2000 kx250 and it was what I thought was a perfect bike in the woods after suspension and all the goodies. Throttle is a little jerkey right off bottom what settings have fixed this. Everything else is awsome. Thanks for the help.20170506_114347.jpg

• Like 1

How much do you weigh? I'm also looking for a softer hit off the bottom. I have the tuner and have played with it a bit but would still like to soften the initial hit a little too. I really like mine!

Also, what's your static and race sag with the stock springs?

How much do you weigh? I'm also looking for a softer hit off the bottom. I have the tuner and have played with it a bit but would still like to soften the initial hit a little too. I really like mine!
Also, what's your static and race sag with the stock springs?

I did forget that part, I'm 245

I've had my FX for a little over a year and only messed with springs initially. I'm 6'3" 270 B Vet rider. I started out with .51 fork and 6.3 shock spring. I couldn't get the sag I wanted 108 + or - with 35mm static sag so I went with .54 fork and a 6.8 shock spring. While I was now able to get the perfect sag, those springs were so f'ing stiff, it would literally throw me off the bike after hitting a G out or medium sized trees. I went back to the previous setup and the rebound was still too light.

I finally sent it off for a revalve a month ago and he put in a .51 and .54 fork and the 6.3 shock spring. It was so much better, but I thought it was still a bit stiff up front. I ended up putting a stock .46 in one leg and kept a .54 in the other and it's just about perfect. My sag is still a little off 110/25 but I can live with that. Just to test it out, I put the 6.8 back in today and while my sag was perfect, it rode like crap. It bucked me all over and the traction was horrible. I even added 5-7 clicks (clockwise) of rebound and it sucked. The 6.3 is going back on and I'm leaving it.

Race Tech recommends a .50 fork and 7.0 shock spring for my weight. I think they are spot on with the fork spring but a 7.0 would be super stiff for my taste.

Us big fellas have an uphill battle. We need a lot of rebound dampning to control the spring but can't have too much which will make it pack.

If you buy a set of .50 fork springs you could always swap one out with a stock spring and you have basically a .46, .48 and .50 to play with. I'd recommend a 6.0 or 6.3 for the shock.

I've had my FX for a little over a year and only messed with springs initially. I'm 6'3" 270 B Vet rider. I started out with .51 fork and 6.3 shock spring. I couldn't get the sag I wanted 108 + or - with 35mm static sag so I went with .54 fork and a 6.8 shock spring. While I was now able to get the perfect sag, those springs were so f'ing stiff, it would literally throw me off the bike after hitting a G out or medium sized trees. I went back to the previous setup and the rebound was still too light.

I finally sent it off for a revalve a month ago and he put in a .51 and .54 fork and the 6.3 shock spring. It was so much better, but I thought it was still a bit stiff up front. I ended up putting a stock .46 in one leg and kept a .54 in the other and it's just about perfect. My sag is still a little off 110/25 but I can live with that. Just to test it out, I put the 6.8 back in today and while my sag was perfect, it rode like crap. It bucked me all over and the traction was horrible. I even added 5-7 clicks (clockwise) of rebound and it sucked. The 6.3 is going back on and I'm leaving it.

Race Tech recommends a .50 fork and 7.0 shock spring for my weight. I think they are spot on with the fork spring but a 7.0 would be super stiff for my taste.

Us big fellas have an uphill battle. We need a lot of rebound dampning to control the spring but can't have too much which will make it pack.

If you buy a set of .50 fork springs you could always swap one out with a stock spring and you have basically a .46, .48 and .50 to play with. I'd recommend a 6.0 or 6.3 for the shock.

Thanks that helps alot. Racetech website said 48 front and 6 rear it just seams unbalanced to me. They were good on my kx but I also revalved them at the same time. (What a chore that was doing it myself for the first time) It sounds like I'm just going to half to revalve at the same time and hope for the best.

Even if you get it revalved don't be scared to play with springs if it doesn't feel just right... unless it does of course! Haha

In the 'maps' thread, try my #8 map for the smoothest transition I could make.

Did ur map 9 only get rid of the jerkey throttle. I mostly notice when on the gravel just kinda idling down the road in 3 or 4 gear. Otherwise I like it everywhere else

Even if you get it revalved don't be scared to play with springs if it doesn't feel just right... unless it does of course! Haha

My biggest problem is I love the way it feels it just to soft. I just don't want to put heavy springs in and then the valving go away.

At 245 you can play with valving forever and still won't be right.  Get the springs that are right for your weight and see what you think of it then.  Makes most recreational riders quite happy.

• Like 1

My biggest problem is I love the way it feels it just to soft. I just don't want to put heavy springs in and then the valving go away.

I plan on getting the springs I'm just wondering how much it will effect the stock valving.

57 minutes ago, mxkid108 said:

I plan on getting the springs I'm just wondering how much it will effect the stock valving.

You need to change the springs first. Without knowing the specifics of your riding ability, style, and terrain, it's hard to say what you need.

Edited by Krannie McKranface

Everyone I know who has one and who weighs 235 or better, up to 270, has been pretty happy with the stock valving after they got the thing sprung correctly for their weight.  You will probably like it better than you do now, in fact.

• Like 1

I'm also a bigger guy at 300 lbs and race tech recommended springs for a F-350.. lol I did .50 fork and 6.6 shock . I ran .54/7.2 in my ktm and it worked good but super stiff!! This current setup works great but I do have comp all the way soft on forks. I am going to drop oil level 20cc and try that. After that I will go into valving.

I'm also a bigger guy at 300 lbs and race tech recommended springs for a F-350.. lol I did .50 fork and 6.6 shock . I ran .54/7.2 in my ktm and it worked good but super stiff!! This current setup works great but I do have comp all the way soft on forks. I am going to drop oil level 20cc and try that. After that I will go into valving.

I looked again and RT said 48 front and 6.8 rear. I mostly ride mountain, rocky, roots, dense forest single track. I like the way the bike handles now just don't like the Bottoming out every time the wheels leave the ground. I know I can probably get away with the 48 springs and nothing else internal. But the back scares me that if I put that much spring in that it's going to change everything. So if anyone has done this is there a shim stack re and com. That others have done them selves. I know I can do it myself I just need a starting point.

2 hours ago, mxkid108 said:

I looked again and RT said 48 front and 6.8 rear. I mostly ride mountain, rocky, roots, dense forest single track. I like the way the bike handles now just don't like the Bottoming out every time the wheels leave the ground. I know I can probably get away with the 48 springs and nothing else internal. But the back scares me that if I put that much spring in that it's going to change everything. So if anyone has done this is there a shim stack re and com. That others have done them selves. I know I can do it myself I just need a starting point.

.48 front and 6.8 rear? Are you sure?

A 6.8 rear would match up with a .60 front....

A .48 front would match up with a 5.8 rear....

.48 front and 6.8 rear? Are you sure?
A 6.8 rear would match up with a .60 front....
A .48 front would match up with a 5.8 rear....

Ya I know that's y I'm so obsessed with this