Non KTM guy with a few questions.

I currently ride a '14 crf450r, don't race but have a back yard mx track and ride some local tracks now and then. I also do lots of desert, hill climbs, sand whoops and so on. I LOVE the power of the bike, I have some engine mods and it rips. But I also have to ride it every day when irrigating and doing other farm work. Not having a headlight, not having a low 1st gear and not having e start are all things that bug me. 

I've been just looking online at some of the newer 500's, not always sure on the letters but I think exc's. I've also watched some videos where people say they like the power, its smooth and nothing too aggressive. What I'm wondering is about how much hp do they have? Can you get a selectable tune switch for them and have the power be really hard hitting like my crf? I'd love the same power, but just with the addition of the different gear box.

Also, everyone says the suspension is soft, but I'd just beable to get it setup for my weight like any other bike and be golden wouldn't I? Still be able to rip around a mx track if I wanted or go to some tight trails instead?

Oh also, are the 450's in the same model near the same power?

Thanks in advance. 

Todays exc's are street legal woods bikes, so out the door, a 500 would be in the mid 40's on horse power, about 50 horse once everything corrected. They also come with taller gearing over an mx bike. 

I saw someone recently who dyno'd a near stock 17 450exc and it was near 40 horse, with a some modding got it into the lower 40's.  Previous era xcw's were in the mid 40's stock. 500 xcw's  near 50 horse stock.

so with a new exc, you'd need time and money , atleast I did.

• Like 1

Well that was exactly the kind of answer I needed, just not what I was hoping haha. Most of the time I dont need that much power but when I get in the sand or on local hill climbs I use all mine has and going down on power just wouldn't help. Although the '14 crf is only just over 50 stock sooooo.....Can you do stuff like HC piston and cam and wake them up?

Out of the two, is the xcw the better choice? I don't care much about riding down the highway, local county road maybe.

Edited by slowngreen

The main reason I have the ktm is its street legal aspect , if I  didn't need the street legal aspect  , Im sure I could be quite happy on one of those crf rx 450's at a considerable discount.

But a crf 450 top speed, would come up short compared to an xcw,  and many other if its features, like stator ouput, speedo , lighting and all that jaz.   

I run pretty tall gearing 15/46, but it will flip over backwards (throttle alone) through 3 gears, 4th will pull if a catch it just right.  If I geared it down to a crf, Im sure everything would get even more abrupt.  I do have a hit, that's how the bike comes up in the taller gears and gearing with no clutch, but its a very control hit.  Geared down Im sure that would be more abrupt.

Pretty much everyone with an EXC, strives to get it to XCW level power wise, right off the bat. A stock exc bike though , you'll be opening your wallet and spending time cause they are choked and mellow.

we didn't even talk about suspension, no where near crf capability hitting stuff at speed, so the wallet will come out, unless sticking to slow trails and little jumps.

Im sure cams and such would change the bike more, not really needed IMO.

But I go from my sport bike to my 500 ktm without being dissapointed

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

Ok thanks again! I will forget the exc as I don't think it would be what I want really but look into the xc-w's some now. Suspension wise, I'm a big fat guy so I have to have the suspension done on all my bikes anyways so no big deal really.  

• Like 1

Someone posted a super moto'd 500 exc dyno a while back, that pulled 58 horse  , that was geared down, well fueled and full FMF set up. Indicated was 113 mph top speed.

Ive only hit 111mph indicated myself , gps more like 109mph

• Like 1

I thought I read that KTM was reporting the 500 to be putting out ~62hp, but after all the emissions stuff felt more like mid 40s to me.  After a desmog and remap it feels like high 50s low 60s, but no dyno data to back that up.  It is the fastest dirt bike I have ever ridden and by far the smoothest engine I've ever been on.  Regardless of what the power output is after all the work, it is more than I will ever use.  Probably too much for the woods riding I do and about the right amount for my few sand trips every year.  

Also a big guy so I can't imagine what the little guys are doing with that power except fighting it.

• Like 1

My 2015 500exc is noticeably faster than my 2005 Crf450r.   It has a lot more low to mid power and feels similar on the top end.  It is de-smogged, re-mapped, and has an FMF pipe.  The CRF just has a pipe.  

• Like 1

I just read today that the '17 500 exc-f has 63hp? Clicky...

Watched a dyno vid of a '15 though only hitting 45hp.

This guy's thread shows his exc at 56hp...clicky....

Those are huge gaps in numbers for the three. 

Only real reason Im still kind of reading up on exc's is looking at used bikes, there is alot more exc's around than xcw's.

Edited by slowngreen

One thing to keep in mind when looking at HP numbers is some are taken at the crank and others at the rear wheel.  There is a big difference in the number depending on the method.

Buying a bike based only on HP numbers is kind of pointless.  An EXC is certainly not going to outperform your CRF in every way but likely will be a better bike for most of your riding.  Once you have an EXC properly "jetted" and set up it will probably climb almost as well at your CRF.

I say probably and likely as I haven't ridden either bike but ride with others who do.  Very few people can get max performance out of any bike.

• Like 1

Thanks. I do realize going off of hp numbers isn't really the way to go shopping but knowing how much what I currently ride has roughly, it seems like a good starting point of what to look for in an enduro/dual sport bike. When you read that some of them have 45rwhp, that seems very low in comparison but again it is just a number, I understand that. 

If I am just using it as an offroad only bike, I am correct in assuming the "de-smogging" is basically just installing a desmogging kit, then getting the ecu remapped? 

Edited by slowngreen

Not a ktm but do you guys know anything about the FE501? Is the FE501, not the fe501s, like the xc-w? Meaning does it have emissions stuff that needs gutted to open it up? 

2015 and 16 same, yes same motor config as xcw

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

rode a 16 501, husky version of 500exc, and a 17 450xcf back to back and the 450xcf has more power. why aren't you considering a 450xcf?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

rode a 16 501, husky version of 500exc, and a 17 450xcf back to back and the 450xcf has more power. why aren't you considering a 450xcf?

I will consider one for sure, I am just going off of local used bikes, have been mainly 500's or 350's. Been a few 450's but older, I don't want to go older than what I have which is a '14.