New guy - XR200R 6v to 12v?

Hey guys.  I'm new here.  I just bought a house in March, so I'm finally free!  In the few months since I've picked up an 89 FourTrax 350d that I'm currently working on, and a 82 XR200R that runs like a top.  I've never owned an ATV, dirt bike, or heck any other small engine thing until buying this house, so needless to say my experience with these is VERY limited.  I've basically totally rebuilt my pickup truck and have supercharged my daily driver as well as plenty of other mods, so I'm mechanically able as long as I've got some kicking off points :)

Anyway, I picked up a 1982 XR200R from a buddy of mine that had 2 of them.  I'm in the process of getting a VT title for it so I can piddle around on the roads out here in the country when I feel like it, but mostly it's a toy for playing around on farms and the like.  Anyway, as it will be on the road some I'd like to convert it to 12v.  I just tested it and right now it's putting out 5.7v AC at idle, which from what I understand is right for the 6v bikes.  I've done a lot of searching here and other places.  Seems most people say you can just put a 12v regulator inline with the headlight and it works.  Other people say you need to switch the stator.  Others say other things.  Being a total noob that doesn't know how to separate the chocolate from the poop, I'm trusting you fellows to guide me in the right direction.

Right now it has a working 6v 35w headlamp and a working 6v tail light (I've got a 12v bulb in it because the 6v one was shot. It's dim as to be useless, but I wanted to make sure it worked).  I've bought a dual filament 12v brake/tail light and have the spring switch already.

I've converted 6volt XRs to 12volts by installing a 12volt AC regulator and swapping in 12 volt bulbs. Use 35 watt 12 volt headlight bulbs. If you want a bit more power for the headlight use a LED tail light, all of the ones I have tried have circuitry that will work on AC.

Cool!  Do I put one regulator in line with each of the bulb circuits, or one regulator for the whole deal somewhere further down the wiring?  I'm not exactly sure how this stator deal works.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Is this diagram I found in another post on here right?  Just sortof hang the regulator off the circuit?  I figured it would have been in parallel.  I have no experience with AC at all, so I could be totally wrong here.

XR200R2000WiringLightswithRegulator.jpg&

14 hours ago, OldGreyBeast said:

Is this diagram I found in another post on here right?  Just sortof hang the regulator off the circuit?  I figured it would have been in parallel.  I have no experience with AC at all, so I could be totally wrong here.

XR200R2000WiringLightswithRegulator.jpg&

Your 82 has only a blue wire from the alternator for the lights, no pink or yellow.  You don't need the fuse because the alternator is a small finite source and won't produce enough power to burn up wiring if shorted. Also no need for a switch.

Here is a 86-88 diagram, same as your bike except; it shows a regulator, some wires at the CDI will have different colors, and the ignition connectors are different.  The frame ground should be at the coil mounting bracket on your bike.

591200ed48d04_XR200R86-88WiringDiagram.JPG.cc5a106a042015359a9ede491b7b8990.JPG

• Like 1

Had to work late yesterday.  Been fiddling with this today though.  Is there a 12v bulb that is a drop in replacement for the 6v honda bulb, or do I need to replace the whole housing/etc?

12v conversion works great :)  Tail light is nice and bright now.  Just need to wire my brake light in.  Where would you recommend mounting the 12v regulator?  There's not really much room on this little guy.

i had my ac regulator mounted on one of the coil mount bolts.

Thanks.  I tried to fit mine in that area but it doesn't seem to want to go in there.  Do you think it would hurt it to mount it to the frame?  I notice most of the electrics seem to be mounted to plates that can wiggle around a bit.

The alternator doesn't produce a lot of power, if the regulator was dissipating all of the alternator output because the lights were off the heat would be about 40-50 watts. The heatsink on the regulator should be adequate. Later XRs mount the regulator under the tank just behind the steering head along with the CDI module and coil in the area between the backbone tube and the small tube above the cylinder head .  Some other Hondas  mount it behind the number plate. So some options.

Thanks.  This is what I ended up doing, for anyone that runs into this in the future.  Mounted the regulator to a random bracket I had laying around in the shop, then used 1 self tapping screw and a couple zip ties to mount it to the frame.  I can then get to the adjustment screw for the voltage regulator without having to remove the regulator and it's nicely protected by the fuel tank and frame, while not being too close to other components.

I got the tail light installed.  Finding a place to install the spring-type brake light switch was sortof a pain.  I ended up zip tying it to the handlebars.  It's not very professional but hey, it works.  Don't have a switch on the rear brakes as I just couldn't figure out a way to do it that wouldn't interfere with the kickstarter.

Still waiting on my Vermont title to come in.  I sent the paperwork in on the 8th.

IMG_20170516_181803.jpg

IMG_20170516_181813.jpg

IMG_20170515_194653.jpg