08 reliability questions

I'm going to look at a 08 rmz450 tomorrow. Bike looks awesome. Owner claims low hours. No issues. I've owned 15+ bikes over the years, have always been a Honda guy.... Anyway my buddy says the RMz are notorious for valve/motor issues. I've searched and can't really find anything. Any insight? How are they reliability wise? I know it depends on the maintenance of the bike...I mean in general. Thanks!!!

The 2008 had a known defect that caused the motor to fail. Suzuki full replaced any 2008 motor with a newly redesigned one that didn't have the problem. Without actually doing it, Suzuki basically issued a 2008.5 model. If you were to get an original 2008 that never had the motor replaced AND it blew up - I doubt Suzuki would cover it now 9 years later. 

Call up your local Suzuki dealer with the vin number, they can tell you if the motor was replaced under the recall. The original 08's had an issue with the cases being too thin, causing the crank bearings to crack them and literally blowing the bottom end apart. Other than that issue, things I would ask about, when was the CAM chain replaced if ever, does it have a OEM cam chain tensioner (if it does, replace it with a manual tensioner) both of these go with the "valve issues" not really issues, just people neglecting maintenance and needing something to blame when their bikes blow up. As far as I'm concerned every bike has things that they are notorious for, but you'll have 10000 other owners that have never had the problem. I have a 05 still kicking on the factory top and bottom end, runs like a dream and I never hesitate to take it with me when I ride my 2012. Sometimes they have carb "problems" but like all bikes that are about to be 10 years or older, they all have carb issues from time to time. Rebuilds are cheap at a whopping 30 bucks every couple years or so. Pull the trigger!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Well then if it's a good price and well cared for - go get it.

Trying to upload a pic now....

Great bike, the exhaust is really choked up from stock, either modify it or buy a slip on, send the ecu to tom at the motolab, it will give it a much broader spread of power and easier to start.

the best thing to do when looking at a used rmz, lay the bike on its side and remove the metal strainer by the gear shifter and check for metal deposits, it will tell you a lot about the motor and the owners maintenance habits.

check the valves but I imagine they will be in spec or close to and I would replace the spark plug. It's pretty much a 2017 with a few minor differences :ride:

• Like 1

Update...

Bike was a POS!

Wouldn't idle right. All loopy and puked coolant like crazy! Guys owned it for 2+ years and never checked the valves. Yeah..right....NEXT!

• Like 2

@Rob Rupprecht

adjust valves and maybe a reprogram, my rmz has been solid,

best of luck, sorry the pro neglected your bike!

Edited by RawbW