Where to buy sprockets?

I am currently running the 14/48 combo on my '96 XR. I'm looking to gear it down a bit, and since I'm a pretty big guy, I figured the best option is to change the rear sprocket instead of the front. I can't really find any options online though. The usual places, such as Rocky Mountain ATV, only carry 48 tooth rear sprockets for the XR600. Does anybody have any suggestions for where to look for bigger sprockets?

Not sure if it's the same, but with the stock chain slider on my XR650L, I'm not sure anything bigger than 48 would work. Regardless, I've not seen a larger rear either. Might get more bang for your buck going to a 13 front.

I order the xr650r sprockets,more choices. The difference is, the xr650r has tapered counter sunk holes. You can purchase the bolts at a good hardware store. Also IIRC you might have to drill out the holes slightly bigger on the sprocket. I run a 13/52 and is great for climbing and real tight stuff without clutching, but sucks on the road, engine is reving a lot at 45-50mph. I'm planning on the 5th gear mod, but will probably try some like a 15/49 for road and carry a 13 along for dirt, without chain issues. The chain guide does wear faster along with the swing-arm slider, using the 13 t.

• Like 3

It would definitely be more economical, not to mention that I can actually find the 13 tooth front. I just worry about stripping teeth, because I'm a heavy guy (close to 280 lbs). Do you guys think that would be an issue?

I order the xr650r sprockets,more choices. The difference is, the xr650r has tapered counter sunk holes. You can purchase the bolts at a good hardware store. Also IIRC you might have to drill out the holes slightly bigger on the sprocket. I run a 13/52 and is great for climbing and real tight stuff without clutching, but sucks on the road, engine is reving a lot at 45-50mph. I'm planning on the 5th gear mod, but will probably try some like a 15/49 for road and carry a 13 along for dirt, without chain issues. The chain guide does wear faster along with the swing-arm slider, using the 13 t.

Bork on my 95, it stays at 650r-15t/45t- nx 5th. PBI cs sprocket/ Vortex custom 520 vfr 45t (and I had a Vortex 43t before the nx gear was in)
But on my 88, the cs is different so it's not the 650r sprocket. But I got 15/43 on the 17" setup (that doesn't have tires. OEM and Sunstar.
And I have a 13 and a 14t/47t dirt. OEM and Sunstar.
I just built this bike.

cookiebox, try to use a wider front sprocket other than the stock width, to help extend life of your countershaft splines. Use an xr650r backwards or order a fritzco which he had made for this condition. (search function is your friend) Also try to keep the RPM from falling to low, and chugging, especially on the street. Each power stroke firing of cylinder jerks top of chain tight and when cylinder going thru other cycles, the chain loosens a tad , thus kinda like an impact/rattle gun on your drive train. Back when I had a yami xt500, I used to chug, because I thought it was amazing & cool, how it would chug like an old steam train. But I dont anymore, after learning the side affect. A little higher rpm wont cure situation, just lessons it. Dont worry about the riders weight, a bunch of us here are in same boat. Keep check on the spokes, and get correct spring rate for your suspension.

I have a 13/53 on my '92 xr 600. The rear 53 is off of an '87 cr 250r any bigger and ill need to remove the lower chain guide. 

Thanks you guys. I've checked out all the avenues you've suggested, and feel like I've got some good options now.

3 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

Let us know if they manage to send them to you before the next millennium. :smirk:

Tracking says UPS delivery tomorrow ordered 5 days ago.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Titanman said:

Tracking says UPS delivery tomorrow ordered 5 days ago.

:thumbsup:   They're well known for poor customer service and indefinite waits for delivery.

1 hour ago, JoeRC51 said:

:thumbsup:   They're well known for poor customer service and indefinite waits for delivery.

Ordered from them twice with fast shipping so far.  Glad to know.  RMATV and Procycle have been outstanding fast as well.

• Like 1