Swapping Shifter Help!

Hey guys I bought a new hammerhead shifter, nothing was wrong with stock one i just thought the hammerhead black and red looked good. But when i loosened 8mm nut on bottom of shifter, it wont come off... But i dont want to put any force or anything on it because I know the spleens on the shifter fork are delicate and i dont wanna end up being one of those guys with a screw drilled through the shifter... Please help I cant get old shifter off it just slides a little in and out when its completely loose.... Any advice would be helpful! Also its a 2002 honda cr250

Edited by smallz700r

Ok is putting a flathead screw driver there safe??? And if I can get old shifter off, how tight should the new one be? Im.just nervous because of how small and delicate the shifter spleen is. Thanks

1. Take the pinch bolt all the way out.  There is a u-groove in the shaft that captures that bolt.

2. Putting a flathead screwdriver into the "pinch slot" of the shift lever and gently prying it open by twisting while working the lever off of the shaft is acceptable.

3. You might have to spread the new shifter apart a bit with the screw driver to get it back on.

4. Run that pinch bolt down with a ratchet and socket with your hand at the pivot point of the ratchet/socket mechanism.  You only need to put the "pinch area" of the shift lever tight enough to keep it from rotating on the splines.  That should be easily do able with wrist tightening only.

Edited by GlennRay

Dude...take bolt out, yank that lame stocker off and throw it in the extras bin, throw that freshy on, put the bolt in and snug her up. Re tighten after a little riding

• Like 2