New Rider DRZ400SM Questions

So I recently bought a 2014 DRZ400SM and I'm having some issues with its height. The seat height is 35"+ and I only have a 29" inseam so I look pretty goofy getting on and off of it. How much weight can the side stand take? I weigh north of 200 lbs. so would it be ok to step on the foot peg with the stand down to mount/dismount?

Second question is what's the easiest and/or best option to lower the bike? Or is that a bad idea and I should just get used to it? Thanks!IMG_4276.JPG

Easiest way to lower seat height is to get a lower seat. You sacrifice comfort and personally I think they look ridiculous. You can also get lowering links for the rear suspension but it can negatively affect handling. I wouldn't worry about the footpegs or kickstand giving you an issue.

I was looking at some motocross stuff. And there was something about dropping the triple down on the forks to change the handling characteristic, but there where some trade offs. It was only a difference of a couple mm's on the forks. Can your toe's touch the floor when your on the bike? I'm 6' and I can't flat foot this bike it is tall. You can look at all that stuff to get maybe a little more room but if your really far off i don't know if it would be worth it to do all that stuff.

Sometimes to mount I hold it by the handle bars kick stand up and lean the bike over so I can throw my leg over easier then muscle it back to upright. I keep the little tool bag on the back and its always a pain in the ass to throw my leg over with my cheap stiff mx boots when its upright.

The side stands pretty tough on these things but I haven't tested it and don't know what its rated at. A friend used to knee the bike up to move it like you would to put it on an MX stand on the side stand to 180 the bike to get out of the parking garage and stuff all the time. He was really rough with it, i haven't heard of one breaking. Nice bike by the way, the 2014 plastic scheme is my favorite by far. The sticker that says 400sm I figured would be 20 bucks. So I took one off and then found out they are like 50-70 bucks a pop for the sticker, lol.

Edited by SKIPPY PB

Cool thanks for the advice guys. I'm just short of 5'10" so I can just barely tippy-toe it. I definitely don't want to negatively affect handling so I guess I'm just gonna try to get used to it. I found a gel lowering seat, but it seems a shame to get that when the bike came with such a comfortable Seat Concepts seat already. If I keep struggling with the height tho I'll have to try that.

I have a 28" inseam and can flatfooy one side if I slide to the very edge of the seat. Also helps that I'm a little heavier than you, and yes I always climb on the pegs while it's on the stand. Never felt it budge or want to bend. Best thing to do is try to get used to it, I dropped it probably 2 or 3 times a week when I initially got the bike, but you'll learn what to do when you stop. Proper footwear/boots give you a bit more reach, and a lower seat could help, but try to get used to it first.

Gotcha thanks that's exact kind of input I was looking for. I think just being able to step on the pegs is gonna solve most of my problem. I was planning on selling my old XT225 and getting knobbies on the DRZ, but I'm thinking I might forget that and just keep the XT as my trail bike and the DRZ as my street bike.