DR200 Very noisy, low power

As someone else said, try checking the exhaust for obstruction if you haven't already. Also maybe repacking your muffler would help a bit, not much. but could help.

Great news!  I was able to solve the issue.  I installed new rocker arms in the head cover and it fixed the issue 100 percent.  The bike now sounds and runs as good as new.  

As an additional note, I noticed that the cam chain tensioner should NOT be installed until the head cover is on.  The cam just suts in there and if the cam tensioner is installed before cover it tightens too much and lifts it on the far side.

If you have any other questions please let me know.  Thanks to all who helped, I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 0:42 PM, jspicy said:

Great news!  I was able to solve the issue.  I installed new rocker arms in the head cover and it fixed the issue 100 percent.  The bike now sounds and runs as good as new.  

As an additional note, I noticed that the cam chain tensioner should NOT be installed until the head cover is on.  The cam just suts in there and if the cam tensioner is installed before cover it tightens too much and lifts it on the far side.

If you have any other questions please let me know.  Thanks to all who helped, I really appreciate it!

Huh, interesting...

Since mine blew up from obviously skipping timing, rocker arms couldn't cause that. So I guess either the cam chain was worn but the rocker arms were responsible for the noise, or my rockers are fine and the chain was the noise. I guess I'll only know when I get the cylinder serviced and the bike back together.

Definitely will put in a new cam chain before even trying to run it, so if it still makes the noise, I'll know what to replace next. Thanks a lot for the tip

the engines are made in china, you can order all the parts you need half price from aliexpress.com

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jspicy said:

the engines are made in china, you can order all the parts you need half price from aliexpress.com

Thanks, I did look into that thoroughly only to be talked out of it by my local shop based on their experience with them.

I decided to buy the only oversize piston I could find on eBay because even the shop couldn't find anything. I'll have the shop bore my cylinder .020" over once I get the piston and slap it all together.

Edited by hungrycamel

Aren’t these engines nikasil coated in the cylinders? If so, they might need another nikasil coat if they’re bored.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By WindsweptBiklife
      Hey everyone, please bear with me here...So i just purchased a street legal 2002 suzuki dr200s from a "mutual" friend here in massachusetts, and im thinking ive gotten myself into a big pickle here. The bike was advertised as off road only as the title and reg could not be found, so i really didn't buy this having any plans to put on the road. For what i paid its a great trail bike and i figured if i felt like it i would try to apply for a new title with the mass saftey dept.(i know i know. Never buy a street bike without a title, but i didnt think this would happen). After doing some research ive found some unsettling things. The kid i bought it from claimed he bought it from a 57 year old woman who bought it from the orig. Owner in 2010(it came with a copy of the original title, sales books, and a blank bill of sale supposably from her) and that she was suppose to be getting him a title but never got back to him, and that she claimed her registration was in the storage compartment but wasnt. After doing some research on her, i found that she passed away this last may, only 4 DAYS prior to when the kid's facebook says HE purchased the bike. However the bill of sale that was given to me was written out 14 days AFTER her death. I contacted the kid and mentioned this to him and he replied "thats probably why she never got back to me". OBVIOUSLY something isnt right here, and im thinking he knows more than he's telling me, even though he sold it as is with no title. Her obituary noted that she left behind several children, siblings, and a fiance. Now if im correct on my estate laws, if she had no will, only direct family/ heirs of the deceased can go to probate court and apply for a title to a vehicle, and i deffinetly dont think it could be done in 4 days. If i had to guess, it seems the fiance or someone sold the bike before the family/estate could get a hold of it. It doesn't show up as stolen with the police or any online check, SO what do i do? Again its not really getting a title that concerns me, but how do i find out if the bike was sold legally or not? Can i still get a title for this thing if it was/wasnt? even if it needs to be done in another state that doesnt require a title, is it do-able? Could there be some kind of hold on the vin? Am i going to get myself into any legal trouble by trying to title it, or even having it in general? I thought of reaching out to her relatives as i found them all on facebook but i dont want to be disrespectful in such a hard time and im afraid it will bring me trouble. Any advise is MUCH appreciated.
    • By johnniel1
      Hey All,
      I am in the midst of restoring a 1986 DR200. The carb is shot so I picked up a new TM33, after surfing the web and seeing that this is what others have gone to. The original TM28-1 or TM28SS are no longer available, and I want to stick with a pumper carb that will be a direct fit without modifying the intake or airbox flanges. Would anyone know how to jet this for a DR200?
    • By NortheastWoodsman
      Hey guys. I am totally new to this forum and to the world of motorcycles (well I've ridden them but never worked on them). I have seen a few similar problems in other threads however I am what you could call mechanical un-inclined. So basically I could understand most of the reply's. So if anyone has a ultra baby step solution to this problem I would be greatly appreciative.
      Okay so here's the deal. I just bought (yesterday) a 1997 Suzuki DR200 that I planned on using as a get around town and exploring bike as a pretty beginner rider. When I bought it it ran great. When I got it home yesterday it ran just fine. When I tried to start it this morning it wouldn't go. It was turning over but not firing. So I pushed it down the street to a friends house who is pretty good with bikes. I live on a hill so on the way down I was able to bump start it and it ran perfect until I got to his driveway and stopped then it stalled.
      So we took the Carb off and cleaned the jets and put it back on and it started right up. I took if down the road and back and noticed it idled to low so it would stall if you didn't give it throttle. We turned the idle up but then it was so high that it would basically keep going in second gear with no throttle added. So we turned it back down but once again it died. This time it would not start and we killed the battery. We tried several times to bump start it with no positive results. So we pushed it up the hill and on the fourth try it worked and proceeded to bump start every time after than. 
      But the problem still remained. We drove around and got the battery back to where we could start it with the electric start but it still wouldn't idle. And now it seems like it takes forever to come down to idle, like I will release the throttle and it will keep on going. 
      I am at a complete loss as I have no clue how to work on bikes. Heck I don't even know what half the parts are used for or called when I see them in other posts.
      Basically can someone explain this so an idiot like me can understand?
      Also I see that there is a place labeled kick starter but no kick starter. That would sure be nice to have. It there any way that one can be added? 
      Really any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.
    • By Redordead89
      I really miss this old bike and hopefully when I finish my cr250 project I'm gonna go get it back!

This was how the bike looked when I got it 4 years ago

It was a genuine low hour barn find and very good project bike, The tank was scabby and the seat was a bit burst, The front and rear exhaust were both rotten through!

My bro Peter sitting on my bike just after I pulled it out of my Little Peugeot 306 estate:-)))

This was how she looked after some new paint on the tank and a new seat cover from Canada and rear silencer from eBay America!

• By knuckleduster271
      Picked up this turd for my wife to ride.
      Thing was beat up pretty bad- needs a good amount of work- i bought it not running but the price was right so i can afford to throw a little money at it.
      It has an issue with the carb, i bet i got a gallon of gasoline out of the crank case when i drained the oil. The swingarm is broken right where the rear axle goes through, the rear brake linkage is twisted like a pretzel, the brake actuator lever is missing, both wheels are bent pretty good, the tank has a pretty big dent in it, someone spray bombed it blue, then black and never masked anything off and the rear running light has a short. -