hungrycamel

DR200 Very noisy, low power

26 posts in this topic

As someone else said, try checking the exhaust for obstruction if you haven't already. Also maybe repacking your muffler would help a bit, not much. but could help.

Great news!  I was able to solve the issue.  I installed new rocker arms in the head cover and it fixed the issue 100 percent.  The bike now sounds and runs as good as new.  

As an additional note, I noticed that the cam chain tensioner should NOT be installed until the head cover is on.  The cam just suts in there and if the cam tensioner is installed before cover it tightens too much and lifts it on the far side.

If you have any other questions please let me know.  Thanks to all who helped, I really appreciate it!

1 person likes this

On 3/30/2018 at 0:42 PM, jspicy said:

Great news!  I was able to solve the issue.  I installed new rocker arms in the head cover and it fixed the issue 100 percent.  The bike now sounds and runs as good as new.  

As an additional note, I noticed that the cam chain tensioner should NOT be installed until the head cover is on.  The cam just suts in there and if the cam tensioner is installed before cover it tightens too much and lifts it on the far side.

If you have any other questions please let me know.  Thanks to all who helped, I really appreciate it!

Huh, interesting...

Since mine blew up from obviously skipping timing, rocker arms couldn't cause that. So I guess either the cam chain was worn but the rocker arms were responsible for the noise, or my rockers are fine and the chain was the noise. I guess I'll only know when I get the cylinder serviced and the bike back together.

Definitely will put in a new cam chain before even trying to run it, so if it still makes the noise, I'll know what to replace next. Thanks a lot for the tip

the engines are made in china, you can order all the parts you need half price from aliexpress.com

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, jspicy said:

the engines are made in china, you can order all the parts you need half price from aliexpress.com

Thanks, I did look into that thoroughly only to be talked out of it by my local shop based on their experience with them.

I decided to buy the only oversize piston I could find on eBay because even the shop couldn't find anything. I'll have the shop bore my cylinder .020" over once I get the piston and slap it all together.

Edited by hungrycamel

Aren’t these engines nikasil coated in the cylinders? If so, they might need another nikasil coat if they’re bored.