Cleaning bike, getting rid of baked on dirt

How do you guys clean your bikes? I'm super religious on cleaning my bike after every ride but my last ride I had to work and had to leave my bike at my parents house with dirt all over it for over a month now. Pretty sure the dirt is going to stain the engine a bit what do you guys use? Simple green and a brush? Degreaser? Just want to buy what I'll need before I head down there because there aren't any stores for about 20 miles out. Heres my bike by the way:ride:IMG_7397.JPG.jpeg.6fbb5072d7383edb4b8f9a4455d72d1c.jpeg

How do you guys clean your bikes? I'm super religious on cleaning my bike after every ride but my last ride I had to work and had to leave my bike at my parents house with dirt all over it for over a month now. Pretty sure the dirt is going to stain the engine a bit what do you guys use? Simple green and a brush? Degreaser? Just want to buy what I'll need before I head down there because there aren't any stores for about 20 miles out. Heres my bike by the way:ride:IMG_7397.JPG.jpeg.6fbb5072d7383edb4b8f9a4455d72d1c.jpeg

This happened to me too. Spray it off with a hose with a jet nozzle, spray simple green, let it sit for 5 min and spray it off. U may have have to repeat this once or twice. When u do wait after 5 min use a brush like a horse brush that could reach far into thre engine. For me this worked.....take the plastics and gas tank off and spray the engine with carb cleaner and use a paper towel, brush, whatever works best in little spots at a time so I don't waste it cause it dries fast. Spray it off, dry it with a towel and a leaf blower and put a fan on it inside with the plastics still off and all. While there off u could clean them too. Plastics are honestly the hardest thing to clean after it has been sitting, especially when there white. This all takes about an hour of u have that time. This works, obviously not after every ride, but since it has been sitting. Here is a pic off how it looks after it had sat with mud on for a week after I did all that.

IMG_2305.JPGIMG_2303.JPG

• Like 1

I use an electric Karcher pressure washer, 1600 psi, and 50/50 simple green. Works great.

If no pressure washer available, a garden hose with a good nozzel and full strength simple green.

If I can't clean right after a ride and the mud dries, just saturate the dried mud and let soak for a few minutes.

Spays off pretty easily when wet again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-L-C said:

This happened to me too. Spray it off with a hose with a jet nozzle, spray simple green, let it sit for 5 min and spray it off. U may have have to repeat this once or twice. When u do wait after 5 min use a brush like a horse brush that could reach far into thre engine. For me this worked.....take the plastics and gas tank off and spray the engine with carb cleaner and use a paper towel, brush, whatever works best in little spots at a time so I don't waste it cause it dries fast. Spray it off, dry it with a towel and a leaf blower and put a fan on it inside with the plastics still off and all. While there off u could clean them too. Plastics are honestly the hardest thing to clean after it has been sitting, especially when there white. This all takes about an hour of u have that time. This works, obviously not after every ride, but since it has been sitting. Here is a pic off how it looks after it had sat with mud on for a week after I did all that.

IMG_2305.JPGIMG_2303.JPG

That is clean! What year of bike?

2 hours ago, CySinyard said:

Check out the post by Upallnight in the following thread.  Started doing this and find it works wonders for a fraction of the time.

Very interesting I never would have thought of laundry detergent

4,000 psi on the wheels and under the fender then bump it down to 2,000 for anywhere near bearings. Scrub the engine with a bit of elbow grease and soap then top off the plastics with a bit of shine and go.
That's just how I clean. Your probably a lot more carful. :)

I use tuff stuff engine cleaner magic eraser and pressure washer and my 2000 looks factory

If I'm trying to get out stains on my cases I spray them down with SHOUT and let it soak for a minute, then scrub with a brush and wash off.  Used for pre-soaking stains on clothes before you put them in wash, but works just as good on the bike.

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Its a dirt bike.  Dirt bikes get dirty.  No big deal, IMO.

True but I've always liked keeping my stuff looking mint. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony477g said:

True but I've always liked keeping my stuff looking mint. 

At my age its too much bother, lol.

• Like 4

In Canada the Canadian shields dirt is corrosive to lines and fairings

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Makes them easier to work on when they're clean.

• Like 2

So I tried the tide and water bottle thing and it worked like a charm! Fair warning if you have stickers on (not graphics) it made them fall off. Other than that I had a lot of dirt and oil where the chain meets the frame and I just sprayed it with the hose and it cleaned it right off. Didn't scrub the bike one bit. One question though, how many of you wd40 the engine? I've never been a huge fan of wd40 but it seems like a good idea to keep the engine nice and clean

• Like 1

Also if you do wd40 your engine do you just spray and pray? or do you spray it on a rag and try to wipe it on?

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:25 AM, S-L-C said:

IMG_2305.JPGIMG_2303.JPG

Ought not leave your bike outside unattended. Looks like someone has stolen your camshaft.

5 hours ago, mikeridered said:

Ought not leave your bike outside unattended. Looks like someone has stolen your camshaft.

two strokes don't have camshafts and its not something you would see from a bike just sitting there. you mean chain, but Im sure you knew that. anyways its just an optical illusion created from the angle of the first picture. you can see it in the second picture.

It was outside for pics after it was clean. I took the second pic right after I put the chain on while it was outside. I would never leave my bike unattended.

18 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

two strokes don't have camshafts and its not something you would see from a bike just sitting there. you mean chain, but Im sure you knew that. anyways its just an optical illusion created from the angle of the first picture. you can see it in the second picture.

No, I didn't mean chain. Had I, I would have said chain. As it was, I said CAMSHAFT. Which in the first picture I can plainly see the bike in question does not have, proven in the second picture of the expansion chamber side. It was meant as a joke.