THIS IS OUR 2017 BETA 500RR-S & 125RR-S THREAD

On 6/19/2017 at 0:28 PM, Johnny Depp said:

And removed the kickstarter. Like the minimalist LED turn signals. Did you really drill that washer? Looks like works bike stuff, nice.

GOPR0125.JPG.e74b53e877fa205b4dce8b60eda906fe.JPGGOPR0130.jpg.6c0abf06c485ccc0b6336c382abf315a.jpg

Yeah I believe that I like the bike better without a kicker, it's weird but cool.? Hopefully I don't end up stranded out in the middle of timbucktu.:banghead: I have a felling that a kickstarter delete is gonna happen to Valentina.:thinking:

I like the led signals too, 5 bucks each, and DOT approved :jawdrop:,,,  

I&I drilled out the tank washer, no biggie, I just measured it out.  Long ago I fabricated some teeny little carpenters squares for building architectural models to scale, so I used those to lay it out, then I fired up the old drillpress. Not exactly exact but pretty close. I always wanted a drilled out tank washer like that, ever since I seen travis pastranas bike at the LA x-games around 2004,:cool: That drilled gastank washer really left a lasting impression on me. So I finally got one. I'm glad you like it. I'm stoked... my wife and kids don't care...

On 6/19/2017 at 3:03 PM, Ben500RR-S said:

The drilled out washer does look trick.  Super nice job on that.  Did you NOT need a relay for the rear LED turnsignals?   Your bike is unbelievably clean, right down to the spaces between the knobs on the tires, how is that even possible?  They are like showroom floor clean/new.  

Thanks, like I said my wife and kids don't care:doh:, but my dad likes it tho.

GOPR0128.jpg.051debf9586e88f5bf8017726e93150a.jpg

I DID NOT need a relay for the new truck stop rear led turn signals to work with the stock bulb front signals. However, when I hooked up the new front leds, the blinkers didnt work at all. So I rehooked the stock fronts with the new led rears and all is good. I ordered a new led relay last night while I was watching the 2017 erzberg. Hopefully this will allow me to ditch the stock front bulb blinkers and use the matching leds that are sitting on top of my toolbox.:banghead: 

GOPR0129.jpg.1b9909f4c5429aaa9b2a8be4571a8636.jpg

My Valentina bike looks clean because I rode her down to the self service carwash and degreased and powersprayed her. I even rolled her around to get under the tires and rims real good. And then I took a bit of gas and a toothbrush to her before I started opening her up for maintenance:awww:.

Today was:usa: "International go surf day":usa:, which coincidentally also occured on the 41st anniversarry of the movie "Jaws":bonk:. So after a morning surf, I lifted some weights, and even planked for a few sets?, Then I took off the chainguard:applause: and reinstalled the 15 tooth countershaft sprocket.:goofy: I also took some gas and a toothbrush to the rear wheel and countershaft areas, then I regreased everything.? I noticed some wear on the back chain slider part, behind the main chain slider. This is the part that also prevents the chain from smacking the back tire.:censored: Since I never cared about protecting rear tires before, I cut off the part that hangs down and protects the tire:naughty:. I then reattached the leftover part to protect the top portion of the swingarm. I don't know if this was necassary, but I did it anyways.  When I get a new tmd slider maybe I'll take this part off...:excuseme:GOPR0133.JPG.6dee236eb896af6307292d2e8f59ea0c.JPG

I then readjusted the chain, I read that about 45mm behind the slider from top of swingarm to bottom of chain was spec:prof:, so that's what I dd. 45mm =1.77 inches or ~ 1-6/8+ a c-hair for you carpenter types like me.:cheers:

Now I feel much better about her first impression.:banana:

GOPR0132.JPG.36d548c15226f7d6359d394b3d5f09d3.JPG 

I just got back from doing a surfcheck with Valentina:wub:, and the waves look funn, so I'm gonna fire up the 70's chevy van and go for a surf till the sun goes down. Valentina's running really good right now and I'm happy with her. :D I've had zero issues with her and she's saved me from wiping out at least a handful of times. 

Mann, I gotta tell you, this is the best mistress that you could ever hope for... :devil:

I'm almost done buying gear for my kids, so hopefully I get to start buying some stuff for myself, and Valentina of course.

I can't wait...

:blah::blah::blah:

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 4

On 6/20/2017 at 6:32 PM, surfer-dude said:

I DID NOT need a relay for the new truck stop rear led turn signals to work with the stock bulb front signals. However, when I hooked up the new front leds, the blinkers didnt work at all. So I rehooked the stock fronts with the new led rears and all is good. I ordered a new led relay last night while I was watching the 2017 erzberg. Hopefully this will allow me to ditch the stock front bulb blinkers and use the matching leds that are sitting on top of my toolbox.:banghead: 

I had the same issue with both the stock flasher unit and an aftermarket electronic flasher unit. Rears work as long as the stock incandescent turn are used, the second the front LEDs are plugged in along with rear LEDs, nothing. This is a little different then the KTMs which report the turns remain on steady if you don't isolate the L and R with a rewire/diode to the turn indicator light. May be the same issue just a different outcome.

I just installed the stock fronts (never broken F always R) and looped a zipty around the through an existing opening in the headlight mask to limit up/down/rearward movements that result in the little rubber nub to come out of the mounting hole. If you are OK with Just rear LED turns/stock fronts a new flasher is not required, they will just flash quicker than stock. If the quick flash bugs you order one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J4Z7PQI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plug and play with adjustable flash rate.

Bruce

Edited by BDM
  • Like 2

This was from yesterdays ride. She ran great. This weekend, we're thinking about going out to johnson valley for a few. So I'll probably do a video of that place too. It should be funn, so subscribe and stay tuned.

Edited by surfer-dude

1 hour ago, BDM said:

I had the same issue with both the stock flasher unit and an aftermarket electronic flasher unit. Rears work as long as the stock incandescent turn are used, the second the front LEDs are plugged in along with rear LEDs, nothing. This is a little different then the KTMs which report the turns remain on steady if you don't isolate the L and R with a rewire/diode to the turn indicator light. May be the same issue just a different outcome.

I just installed the stock fronts (never broken F always R) and looped a zipty around the through an existing opening in the headlight mask to limit up/down/rearward movements that result in the little rubber tit to come out of the mounting hole. If you are OK with Just rear LED turns/stock fronts a new flasher is not required, they will just flash quicker than stock. If the quick flash bugs you order one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J4Z7PQI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plug and play with adjustable flash rate.

Bruce

Thanks.  I do plan on using the stock fronts/incandescents and putting in some Tuff Lites for the rear.  Good to know I won't need anything, provided I can live with the faster flash rate. 

Did you just cut and splice the new wires in under the tail?  

29 minutes ago, surfer-dude said:

use some male bullet connectors

those lights look nice, so they should come with them. 

Bullet connectors?, to be able to disconnect in the future?  

Did you just cut right where the wires exit the fender to the actual light?, and left the connectors for future access?  

2 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Did you just cut right where the wires exit the fender to the actual light?, and left the connectors for future access?  

male bullet>>>images.jpeg.595600f2e76d779b67b5fa939d80c7e6.jpegimages-1.jpeg.43099d3d8f0d914cd318da9b921bc839.jpeg

I did not cut with the factory wiring at all I just pulled off the stock license plate hanger, and signals and drilled the 2 holes for the new leds and all the rest was just cimping on 4 new bullet connectors to my new leds plugging them into the stock wiring, and then reassembly. 

You actually need to disassemble a bunch of stuff to get access the wiring. I hooked up the leds with male bullet connectors that go into the female connectors on the chassis  wiring harness, just like the stock blinker assemblies. Then I just pulled the wiring tight towards the airbox so that it is neat, and wouldn't hang out the back, this way incase I get a ticket I can put the stock stuff back  really easily for the write off. So yeah, all I did was tighten it up under the fender towards the airbox, everything else was just plug and play.

Hopefully the led I ordered works for my front blinkers too, if not I'm gonna be bummed. as I am constaly bumping the front blinkers on stuff too, they are almost perfectly in the way, the rears are perfectly in the way.

594af04e455a3_ScreenShot2017-06-13at8_22_58PM.png.e670f67bb3b954652902696b157747d2.png

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben500RR-S said:

With assistance from others on the board.  I bought some LED strips from Amazon they were precut/wired and all I had to do was add a bullet connectors to plug them in.  They are nice and low profile so my stubby legs don't kick them off.   ?  I tucked the wire under the brake light unit so it one did happen to detach it would be held on from the wire sandwiched between the black fender and the tail light lens.

I have regular bulbs in the front so I am using a normal relay flasher.  If you go LED front and back you will need a new flasher (Edit:  I see that was addressed above) as the LEDs sets alone won't draw enough juice to trigger the flashing unit.

BetaTurnSignals.jpg

Edited by RhinofromWA
  • Like 2

Yup same as the others added bullet crimp-on. I am a strong believer in not straying any further from stock then needed and being able reverse a mod if I'm unhappy (not going to happen with the rear turns). Like to keep things at OEM quality or better, no splicing. I know the TuffLights (the best stock style IMO) are available with KTM connectors or bare. Also note on their website they sell a wiring kit which may solve the issues with running 4 LEDs.

Bruce

Edited by BDM
  • Like 2

OK, So my new led relay came in. I tested it out. And BAM, it worked. So I drilled a couple of holes in the front numbeer plate, installed them, and I think they look great.

Heres some pics:

GOPR0174.JPG.70135d42e146989ccdf61e6b55367f94.JPG

GOPR0175.JPG.9b3d1a63c3b381c71b09b3c8382a7db5.JPG

I used this relay that has an adjustable speed on it.

61rkzKaJcWL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.9ea802a9600cbe0c205b5a0347d3fdbf.jpg

here's a link to the relay:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011BTMDQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DOT approved Led turn signals for less than 30 bucks... 

Howz Dat???

• Like 1

:snore::snore::snore:I quit drinking coffee and it's a bummer:blah::(:cool: But I'm still getting us ready to head up to gorman for some sunday morning riding,:ride: So I thought I'd share what I did to my bike yesterday.:blah: Previously I had already ditched the smog equipment and stuck a crummy blue vent hose on the cap instead of the black stuff that came with the bike.:blah: Yesterday I went to the bike shop to get some more motul fluids, and I bought a new gas cap vent.:blah: :D

GOPR0178.JPG.42058ed0dac039be57f9260c444a704f.JPG

Even though I was looking for a dice or an 8-ball vent:naughty: I bought this one. I wasnt exactly what I wanted but it was exactly what I needed.:bonk: I haven't seen anyone with a gascap vent on their beta 500 so I thought I'd share mines.:D:D:D

GOPR0179.JPG.75fd0587d49c65132655b4d932742525.JPG

I really like how the bike is coming along with these few simple and easy modifications.? She feel like much more of a motocross bike now.:ride:

GOPR0177.JPG.ef4c5b7c40e2d31c437fc3eca2a8e432.JPG

Oh yeah my wife got mad at me:bonk: and wants me to work on her bike now:applause: haha:banana:

heres sundays quick ride edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBf5pvQsYI

I thoroughly tested the new blinkers and they are good, no issues just a little rock rash from hugging the edge of the cliff. even the gas cap vent is cool but I did notice it burping a bit, kinda weird, but whatevers???

Still havent crashed or laid her down. hahaha

Edited by surfer-dude

12 hours ago, surfer-dude said:

heres sundays quick ride edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBf5pvQsYI

I thoroughly tested the new blinkers and they are good, no issues just a little rock rash from hugging the edge of the cliff. even the gas cap vent is cool but I did notice it burping a bit, kinda weird, but whatevers???

Still havent crashed or laid her down. hahaha

Gas cap burping?  The vent tube style cap you are using has given my buddies fits not doing what it is supposed to do... vent.  ?  Had a biddies bike quit running multiple times during an arena cross practice.  It would die, eventually refire, then die again...repeat.  The vent tube plug was barely venting and the tank would create a vacuum and gas couldn't leave the tank... bike dies... slowly it repressurizes letting fuel out and bike fires.... then fuel stops again... bike dies.  He took it off and the bike ran fine the rest of the day.

You may want to check it out.    I like the OEM vent tube placement (plastic plug on the frame).

3 hours ago, RhinofromWA said:

Gas cap burping?  The vent tube style cap you are using has given my buddies fits not doing what it is supposed to do... vent.  ?  Had a biddies bike quit running multiple times during an arena cross practice.  It would die, eventually refire, then die again...repeat.  The vent tube plug was barely venting and the tank would create a vacuum and gas couldn't leave the tank... bike dies... slowly it repressurizes letting fuel out and bike fires.... then fuel stops again... bike dies.  He took it off and the bike ran fine the rest of the day.

You may want to check it out.    I like the OEM vent tube placement (plastic plug on the frame).

Hey Rhino, I am not familiar with what your talking about. you got a pic?

I wonder if I'd be better off with just a regular piece of hose ran down next to the radiator like how my bike came to me with, hmmmm??? I noticed a couple of times when I was waiting for her to cool down a bit, I would flick the tip thingy and gas would splash off of it. I thought that was kind of strange.

Maybe this could be causing the bike to run a little lean, and hott????

On my last ride I had issues with it overheating. I stopped about 5 times to let her cool down. I've got the full video coming in a few.

5952f2d5e3818_pirucreekscreenshot.png.4f0b971a330880ed2d50b16e246ad420.png

Edited by surfer-dude

15 hours ago, surfer-dude said:

Hey Rhino, I am not familiar with what your talking about. you got a pic?

I wonder if I'd be better off with just a regular piece of hose ran down next to the radiator like how my bike came to me with, hmmmm??? I noticed a couple of times when I was waiting for her to cool down a bit, I would flick the tip thingy and gas would splash off of it. I thought that was kind of strange.

Maybe this could be causing the bike to run a little lean, and hott????

On my last ride I had issues with it overheating. I stopped about 5 times to let her cool down. I've got the full video coming in a few.

The aluminum bit on your gas cap vent tube.  It can either clog, or vent so slowly, a vacuum would build in the gas tank to the point the bike can't pull anymore.  I wasn't positive on what your cap burping meant.

But if the tank is building pressure it is probably from the gas heating up.  Now I see that you had to stop to let your bike cool down... I may have ben off on my assessment.

GasCapVent.jpg

• Like 1

So I was reading up on different 2017 4 stroke beta's. I have read that there is a california map, which causes the bike to have less power, and run hotter which is probably what I have. And I have also heard that there is a 50 state legal map that has more power and that it would also run cooler.

I was just wondering if any of this is true? I also wonder how this would work with the dual map switch thats on the handlebars, which I cant really say that I notice a whole lot of difference out of.

I could use more power for deep sandy stuff and hills, and I would definitely like my bike to run cooler in the slow tech stuff.

Also any ideas on where and how to get this map would be pretty sweet if you could help me out.

Thanks guys___

13 hours ago, surfer-dude said:

So I was reading up on different 2017 4 stroke beta's. I have read that there is a california map, which causes the bike to have less power, and run hotter which is probably what I have. And I have also heard that there is a 50 state legal map that has more power and that it would also run cooler.

I was just wondering if any of this is true? I also wonder how this would work with the dual map switch thats on the handlebars, which I cant really say that I notice a whole lot of difference out of.

I could use more power for deep sandy stuff and hills, and I would definitely like my bike to run cooler in the slow tech stuff.

Also any ideas on where and how to get this map would be pretty sweet if you could help me out.

Thanks guys___

Those stubby gas cap vents are junk I've gone through two, they eventually clog or stick and bike leans out from lack of vent

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lajons said:

Those stubby gas cap vents are junk I've gone through two, they eventually clog or stick and bike leans out from lack of vent

Do you think the computer for the fuel injection would compensate for the lean condition???

I trust what youre saying so I'm gonna put a regular breather hose back on, and see if I still overheat. I'm just wondering if the computer will compensate is all.

The breather cap looks cool, and thats about the only reason it's there.