On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:08 AM, surfer-dude said:

Tomorrow I'm gonna be picking up some new tires for my 2017 Beta 500 rr-s. I decided to go with a goldentyre fatty front, and an original 130 IRC m5b for the backend.

Heres the dilemma, I have only ever attempted to install my own rear tire once before, and I pinche flatted it. So should I buy some tire irons and the beadsaver thingy and have at it. or should I spend the 30 bucks (15 each) to have the bike shop install em?

Watchu think?

Your bike came with a 130 M5B stock?  I put the M5b on the rear as well, but the stock size was 140. Love the tire, just curious. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, drumiv said:

Your bike came with a 130 M5B stock?  I put the M5b on the rear as well, but the stock size was 140. Love the tire, just curious. 

nah dude, it came stock with a 140 michelin comp of some sort.

In the quest for traction, I put an original rubber compound m5b on it instead of the newer evo m5b. I woulda liked to have done  a 140 but all I could find was a 130, So I just rolled with it.

I like the m5b, it does good for some stuff, and not so good for other stuff. I also liked the stock michelins too though

9 minutes ago, drumiv said:

I've got the Evo. What's the difference?

supposedly the rubber is harder so it lasts a little bit longer. The evo is supposed to be more of a gummy compound, maybe other very small difference but not much else.

I still need to mess around with air pressure but I think it's a really good tire.

Here's a cool video, with some cool music. I suck at using the gopro camera, because I missed the best parts of the ride; The 2 hard hills, and the rock splat session. I've got a bunch of 2-4 second videos, of just before the good stuff. I kept turning it off by trying to turn it on. story of my life. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

Enjoy...

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 1

I accidentally broke off the shifter tip of my wifes 2017 125rr-s. Besides the stock shifter does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it. I lost the tip, and it was just made out of cheap sheet metal. It was kind of an under engineered part in my opinion, so I'd like to upgrade it if possible. The lever itself is stought, but the tip was pretty weak. So I need an entire shift lever or hopefully just an aftermarket tip.

any ideas are greatly appreciated. 

besides the issue with my ladies shifter tip that I broke. I'm considering putting on a 50 or even 51 tooth rear sprocket, but I'm also wondering if anyone has put a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket on??? i"m thinking even 12-50 would be cool for what i"m intending.

Currently, I'm running 13-48 and it's cool and all but I think I'm gonna go get myself into some gnar, so lower gearing and tire pressure is gonna be welcomed.

15-48 is perfect for the streets and most of the DS stuff, 14-48 would probably be good for DS too.

GOPR1030.JPG.32cc0612714090297c8810c352b8c54d.JPG

i shaved the seat on my ladies 125, and i couldnt find an aftermarket shifter for her bike so i modified an ims xr50 shifter and all is well.

i also switched out the rear irc m5b (desert paddle) for a goldentyre 333, and its still all good. i went riding at the farm and had a great time, blasted a bunch of hills, and i also practiced my balance stuff, pivot turns, and slow speed wheelies, enduro cross training style. then i hit the turn tracks, and i even aired out the 500 a few times before i started out on the hills and trails. life was good, and i'm happy. i even tried giving valentina a tramp stamp on her neck.

heres the video, it's about a half hour long so kick back, throw on you favorite tunes  and enjoy. About halfway through i turn into a vampire, so let me know what you think...

oh yea, my fastway evo4 footpegs arrived yesterday, so hopefully i can sneak away and do an install, and go back again tomorrow.

Edited by surfer-dude

the new fastway evo 4 footpegs installed. lowboy mount, medium cleats except tall ones on back and on the side, 3 camber shims 2 fat 1 thin on each peg.

She feels very different, tomorow we test on some hills and trails.

GOPR1081.JPG

GOPR1082.JPG

Edited by surfer-dude

I got the chance to ride a new yz450, and I liked it in the fast whooped out stuff. But in the tech stuff and on hillclimbs Valentina ruled. The yammie is a more aggressive bike, but the Beta 500 still seems to me, the best all-around enduro bike. And it has the go anywhere license plate.

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 2

IMG_1512800238.799624.thumb.jpg.efb2b0e1d926dc692dff30513fc61300.jpg

I got some new bullet proof radiator guards, but I didn’t like how they fit so I was gonna send them back. But today, before I had a chance to ship em, i got into a bit of a gnar-ride with some friends and I dumped my bike and bent my radiator and I think I cracked the inlet for the thermostat. So now I get to have the radiator straightened out and soldered, because I was a little too critical about the radiator guards not fitting exactly perfect. Then as I’m tightening my hose clamps to try and stop the leak, 2 dudes showed up and showed off their bpd rad guards and other bpd & fastway swag.One of them on a newer 300 husky, and the other dude on a 15’ 300 Kati. The husky dude was also raving about his rekluse. But what I really liked about it, was the handbrake for the rear. I thought that was pretty trick, and I could probably use some of that in my life..

Yep, lesson learned; they may not have been exactly what I wanted, but they were exactly what I needed. I wanted something like the old devol rad guards that wrap around the sides and the bpd’s are totally different. But on the husky they wrapped around but not so much on the ktm. My bpd’s also share a ktm part number so we’ll see how they fit. Probably still won’t like em, but watcha gonna do????

Edited by surfer-dude

I’ve also had my black plastics on back order for at least a month now, I’m getting sick of checking my front door for them.

I’ve been riding a lot lately, I even made a trip out to Vegas to do some riding and fishing with some friends that live out there. As a guide bike, my 2017 beta 500 is an absolute blast to ride around on and find new fishing spots along the river and lake. The night sessions are definitely gonna make it to the highlight reel.

IMG_0142.jpg.ab8804ec86f85715fb02f77868483702.jpg

I also tried using full waffle odi grips and for some strange reason I slipped my throttle hand off the grip at least 6 times today I dont remember my hand slipping off before. So I’m gonna try using some spiders again, and if that fails I'll go back to stock grips just like I did on my old honda. I like the stock beta grips.

My clutch is also wasted so I guess it’s time to start thinking about the 90 hour maintenance coupons.

What’s a gearbox bearing???

It’s probably somewhere under the clutch pack.

So yeah, it’s time for a clutch, and I get to mess with the radiators now too. I can’t blame the bike, it was all my fault. Although my list of beta faults is growing.

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 1

Being so close to Christmas, there may not be much dirt bike riding in the near future for me, except for little easy putts with my wife and kids.

A couple weeks ago I went out and got a 2018 se bikes mike buff big ripper. It’s a 29” bmx bike. Instead of driving or riding a motorcycle, I’ve been riding this bike around town to do errands and stuff, as well as just enjoying going for a bike ride. It’s a great commuter bike. And I get a surprising amount of attention about it. I also got a new surf rack for it so that on normal ordinary days I can ride my bike to the surf spot instead of driving all the time. IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0105.jpg
I’ve already lost a little weight and my legs are getting stronger in a different way than in the gym. But most importantly my knee pain is going away. I think all the jogging and weight training that I had been doing was hurting the miniscus.

So yeah my Valentina bikes a bit clapped out, but I’ll fix her up. My body was feeling clapped out too, and I’m working on that also.

I bought some pink odi half waffles for my ladies Giuseppe bike. She took them to work but forgot them on her desk so I can’t even put them on for her. Untill next week.

Tomorrow we gonna go down and cruise Venice beach as a cool little family bike ride.
Wish we could ride the hills on our dirt bikes but mines is clapped and wifeys has no grips, the kids bikes are styling tho.

But now they want new grips too...

Haha

Just got a phone call about a desert ride in Barstow tomorrow am,
oh well life’s a beach

Edited by surfer-dude

They’re here, I guess that they had to import them from europe or something.
IMG_0182.jpg

Edited by surfer-dude

I took my wife’s bike out to go get some new wetsuits for all of us. And on the trip down to visit my friends in Newport Beach,

I got the little Giuseppe bike up to “IMG_0183.jpg.d68eec621efccc6e0b3d898c017b2226.jpg

it wasn’t too bad, a little shaky but not that bad. We clocked about 36 miles round trip down PCH and back. It sustained a 60-65 mph cruise speed thru the bolsa chica area without too much engine strain.

Let’s just say I kept up with the Prius’s that were out there. I wouldn’t want to do to many miles like this but the 2017 beta 125 rr-s is now officially Pacific Coast Highway cruise approved. So that means that this is a cool bike for just about everyone.

Edited by surfer-dude

Oh yeah totally stoked on the new training sessions, all designed to make me happier when I go dirt bike riding, and vice versa
IMG_0178.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg
The past few days it’s been good for barebacking some longboard waves and riding the big ripper. So, why not do them both. :thumbsup: I actually have a slight sunburn going into Christmas. Lol

I’m searching for clutch plates for my B-girl. So if anyone knows of a good place to get them from I’m open to suggestions.

-

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 1