surfer-dude

THIS IS OUR 2017 BETA 500RR-S & 125RR-S THREAD

163 posts in this topic

I installed one side of the BPD radiator guards.
IMG_0188.jpg

The other side is gonna need to be banged straight, but I did manage to tighten up the hose clamps enough that I stopped the leak. I think
IMG_0189.jpg

Next step is to pull off the radiator and bang on it. Should be funn.

Well I banged it out and did my best to straighten out the cooling fins. I drained the bike, and pulled the radiator off and took it to the bench. The radiator was bent a good 3/4 inch + but I banged it straight and all is well now. I then reinstalled it and filled it with water then let her idle for about 20-25 minutes to check for leaks. There weren’t any leaks so I drained it again and tomorrow I’m gonna go get some engine ice.

IMG_0203.thumb.jpg.020962211fcc30a005eafa4aa6b9931e.jpg

I didn’t mess with the thermostat because I’m planning on taking my bike to the ski resort and do some cruising around the lodges and stuff.

2 hours ago, Danceswithtrees said:

20 - 25 minutes idling!  whether you know it or not you just did a stepper motor reset lol.

sweet, I did turn her off and back on a couple of times to let the pressure build inside the cooling system. The hottest temp that my 2017 beta 500 rr-s got up to while idling in my driveway with the fan functioning properly with the factory thermocouple switch was 236. So I guess thats normal temp for this kind of bike, just in case anybody was wondering and decided to google. the fan turned on and off a few times while she idled. Without the fan she would've easily overheated. 

I was almost gonna do the thermostat delete with some 1/2 inch copper fittings, but I decided to leave it in there just because its winter time and I dont need any new negative surprises in my life right now. Sweating some copper pipe ain't no thang. But I dont want to do any motorwork for as long as possible on this bike.

I believe I do the stepper motor reset at just about every new ride spot. And I always get her up to at least 160 before taking a rip.

1 person likes this

Merry Christmas, I finally got to open up the black beta plastics for my 2017 Beta 500 rr-s .

They are not polisport, They are in fact beta plastics. They do not exactly fit as perfect as the stock red ones but they're close enough.   

My clutch is still toast, but she looked so good we had to take a quick romp.

IMG_0226.thumb.jpg.a2f2d19112e48e1295cb29e1193b3052.jpgIMG_0221.jpg.87a0c17f6a5d2d6f61b2e1dac7febf61.jpgIMG_0227.jpg.279e34540d8b7850fead260af88ca91a.jpgIMG_0236.jpg.137388f24fd6d0455c4e3641514ecfaa.jpgIMG_0248.jpg.bf6fd6ab2a76ec74db25a03a20a3b368.jpgIMG_0245.jpg.33415830f171839ef9ea91c9be15e09b.jpg

Valentina's pretty ninja now, blackout switch and all.

IMG_0243.jpg.a8a1b1c9b0de36c3403e88efc3f4fab8.jpg

Edited by surfer-dude

Alrighty then,
The steel oil pump gears are in, and the clutch and fluids have been freshened up. Time to go shred the hills. Unless the surf keeps being really good, Then I guess it’s still time to surf. Someone’s trying to talk me into cruising out for some goodtimes out in jawbone and dove springs. Dude Keeps saying much funn it is.

I'll post up a video of the oil pump gears and the clutch packs so that you jokers can see how easy it is. 

Edited by surfer-dude

This doesnt realy matter: but I was buying my motul oils and water wetter at mid cities and so I got to checking out the husky 500 which I still think is a cool bike, except for the tires. Now I'm cool with them and all, but the tires that come stock on the beta 500 are much more off road worthy than those. I just dont get how betas tires are a low point, but there isnt anybody complaining about the stocky husky street treads. I dont know... then the sales guy came up and started asking me some stuff so I just said I ride a beta500, he said "what's that?" I replied "an upgraded husqavarna 500". :lol: He laughed and then walked away.

I was also checking out the 300 husky and I gotta admit, it's a pretty freaking killer bike, but the beta300rr is prettty nice too. I'm not sure which one I want.

That husky300 feels really light and flickable, at least on the showroom. at this point if I can keep from blowing my money, a 2019 might be happening. We'll see...

I'll probably keep Valentina forever, She's still the perfect bike for me, except for the clutch cover.

Has anyone done a 2018 clutch swap on an earlier model 4 stroke? 

Edited by surfer-dude

2 hours ago, BDM said:

What's the problem with the clutch cover?

Bruce

The brake pedal rubs right up against it. I keep bending mine out with a couple pairs of plyers. I guess its my clumsy riding style. I should probably have a spare clutch cover in my field parts kit is all I'm saying. You'll see if you can handle my video. I'll try and narrow it down to the nitty gritty in a relatively short time frame but it's tuff so I'll try my best. 

Edited by surfer-dude

That's OK, I get it. Sounds more like a brake pedal problem, you can file/grind away the first row of teeth so if it does catch the cover it will be more blunt, less sharp. Also there are several clutch cover guards available. Plastic, billet and carbon fiber I believe.   

Bruce

1 person likes this

On 1/19/2018 at 11:36 PM, surfer-dude said:

The brake pedal rubs right up against it. I keep bending mine out with a couple pairs of plyers. I guess its my clumsy riding style. I should probably have a spare clutch cover in my field parts kit is all I'm saying. You'll see if you can handle my video. I'll try and narrow it down to the nitty gritty in a relatively short time frame but it's tuff so I'll try my best. 

I've had that problem with another bike.  What I did was glue a strip of hard plastic to the clutch cover that provided a slippery wear surface for the brake pedal.  It worked very well and never came off.  I think I used shoe goo to bond it (I use that stuff for just about everything). 

2 people like this

Here goes a rowher flats video 

check it out

I shoulda cut out some stuff but theres also some cool stuff:

Wash that RED dirt off ASAP!

I woke up and read this and shot each of the betas to the car wash. Gonna do a bit of maintenance to both machines.

I went the next day with my wife and kids and it was perfect for them. Nice and easy...

Posted (edited)

CHECK OUT THE LATEST GNAR RIDE!

ENJOY...

I had to do a second upload because I overloaded the youtube sound convertors, too much compression

My battery cable fell off but my bike loves me soo much she never failed on me...

I did experience the high idle surge, but just when the cable was off. After I put it back on there was no more worries.

Edited by surfer-dude

Posted (edited)

the search for shangri-la continues

This was the first 1/2 hour of the first ride of the new spot that I remembered from back in the day. Its Kinda just a "is there an easier way to get the truck in and out" kind of ride check. So I was just taking it easy, and getting familiar with my location. Later in the day I kicked it up a couple of notches, and sessioned some of these obstacles and hills with a bit more purposeful manner. But, I guess I forgot to hit record, so I only ended up with about 20 minutes of footage. Its a cool place, some nice hill climbs, really good ravines, and rocks. Lots of rocks...

I will be going back here real soon, maybe tomorrow...

My riding buddy was really aggravating me; not taking the hardlines and making me backtrack to go look for him, racing past me on the fireroads and then stopping for no reason, and the worst was when I pointed out some sketchy lines and he went around the easy way to get a better view, and stopped right in the line I had just pointed out. I nearly ran him over a few times because he kept stopping on the hills. If I ever do a crash video, he's gonna be in it a lot!

Aaarrrgghhh... 

friggin millenials...

Sometimes I miss riding by myself!

I'm just a beginner, and I feel this way, sheesh...

Edited by surfer-dude