Suspension advice fom sm conversion

folks.

Ive got an 07 S model with enduro wheels which i mainly ride off road.

Ive been wanting to try the bike out on tarmac as a supermoto so ive 

bought a set of SM wheels fitted with S discs and am SM speedo drive. Im pretty much set to do a straight swap on the wheels with no additional mods needed at this stage.

Im aware of the brake updgrade but i dont plan on doing that in the near future

For now, what changes and adjustments to the stock suspension can you recomend in order to comensate for the smaller wheels without upgrading parts?

In its current state, with dirt wheels, the bike has been lowered with lowering links, fitted by the previous owner and the forks were also dropped through the yokes about 10mm to comensate at the front. Ive not changed anythign since ive owned it and it seems to most things i ask of it on the trails.

Im just after some advice on what i can do the make the most of what i currently have when running it as a supermoto

Thanks

Rob

Ive not fitted the wheels and given it a test ride yet. Just looking for some advance info.
Im riding dirt in a few days so ill leave it until the weekend to do the swap and test ride

Lucky for you, there are forum members that have experimented with suspension tweaks, settings and ride comments.

Long read, much to absorb.  Good time to gather up fork / shock oil, springs, shims n tools.

SM is typically less compliant and stiffer springs.  S springs are goofy, forks are too soft and shock is stiff (for a soft front spring).  

• Like 1

i dunno, i dont have any problems riding on the street with my S with SM rims on it .. you need to realize the smaller rims are going to 'drop' it already so your lowered links ect are going to make it look like a scooter haha .. the kickstand wont work with the lowered links either ... the bars are going to feel like theyre below your knees, so you'll likely want bar risers if you dont already have them .. you'll probably have to adjust your headlight aim up .. you have gearing to deal with .. and tire choice to deal with which is pretty important for handling as well as fitment and chain clearance .. and theres adjustment on the S suspension, when you get that far then decide if its alright for you or not, my opinion is if you arnt throwing it full bore into corners on a track the suspension will be more than fine though ..

i think that you need to remove the lowering link. you need the rear of the bike at standard height and the front at lower height, lowering link fights against you.

with stock link set the rear sag at around 80mm and move the forks so that the groove on the forks is about 10mm higher than top of the upper clamp.

Nice. Thanks for the advice. Ive been meaning to get rid of the lowering link and see how i can get on with the bike off road (im 5'5 but hey... I reckon i can give it a shot)
After that ill swap out the wheels and start making adjustments.
Im not planning on taking it on track as a supermoto so ill see how it goes before i start spending ££s on new brakes, springs and stuff

Understand the lowering link reduces the shock spring rate due to mechanical advantage.  Not a bad thing if you understand what's happening and order springs accordingly.