Decompression cable

Could someone please explain what the purpose of the decompression cable to the clutch? Mine is currently disconnected....want to make sure it's not damaging anything

Assume Honda?

Works on kickstart mechanism, and holds exhaust valves open a tiny bit too allow for easier kicking.

Not essential on a 250, but risky to not have on a 500.(Unless you have a handlebar mounted de-comp lever)

Pretty easy to bust a shin/kicker/shaft without a properly working de-comp.....

Sofiedog is right.  Got nothing to do with the clutch.  Don't be kicking your motor over wearing flip flops if the decompression cable is disconnected.  What's an OP?  

https://i.gyazo.com/2eb8278c53da75d6bbf314a2b1f20d1b.png
     Arrow shows cable going from behind kicker to head,, and also lower end of  other cable going to handlebar

I've never had a bike with a cable actuated decompression feature. So, one cable comes from the handle bar. What's the other cable for that goes behind kick starter? Maybe, that's what OP (original post) was talking about when he said it was a cable that went to clutch?

Sorry guys for late​ response....it's an 1985 XR 350r.... There is a decompression cable going to the head then down behind the kicker .. the decompression cable is connected at the head but disconnected behind the kicker... Decompression does work as I can feel the difference...was more curious of why it's attached at the bottom by the kicker....I'll have to get a photo tonight..I'll see if I have any currently

IMG_20170512_162259.jpg.eeab4f816e3f16bbfd110f5108bb37b5.jpg

I had the same bike for almost two years and I took the handlebar mounted decomp cable off when I got it. You don't need it on an XR350R. 7F7FF14F-78C6-4389-84E9-9753484ABDB2_zpswm5fkfdd.jpg
The PO used it as a kill switch, after I put a proper kill switch on it I needed room from my tusk lighting kit controls. You are not damaging anything.
  • Like 1

And mine never had a kick start decomp cable. Although I wonder if I had left the decomp on, would it have been easier to start when hot?

My issues are usually cold starts....fires right up when warm...wonder if I should get a new cable and install it

With my 1982 XR500R I would not be able to start it without the decompression cable. Mine works two ways. Automatically with the kickstarter cable attachment the compression release and also a manual cable attached to a lever on the handle bars. I removed the kickstart cable and just use the manual lever.