Hey Guys,

I have been off the site for several years, but wanted some input.  Getting ready to purchase a new to me 350  either Husky or KTM.  I cant decide between buying a used 16 for a lot less $ or buying the new 17.  I had a 2015 FC350 that I got to ride for just a couple hours before it along with my RMZ450 were stolen last July.   I had been considering the 450, but I think I am pretty happy with the 350.  Anyone here have a 16 that has gotten the 4CS to work really well?  I hate the 4CS stock, and know it would take some $ to make it better, but not sure if anyone has come up with a reasonable fix <$1k that would justify passing on a new 17 with AER fork.  I have to admit that I have pretty much decided to go with the 17, but I am really hoping someone will chime in and tell me how awesome  xxx shop was and made their 4CS amazing for $800 or so.  Thoughts?  Anyone here with a 17 that could chime in?  I ride mostly MX and have some property of my own.  Occasional racing, and lots of track practice.  I am a relatively quick Intermediate Vet rider about 175 lbs for reference.

This has been covered over and over ......  but I'll play along.

Get a 17.  The forks alone are the reason.

• Like 1

The 16 4cs work fine. I smoke guys with thousands of dollars in suspension work. A good rider can ride anything. But, if the price difference isn't that big, get the newer bike. I like spring forks since I'm comfortable servicing them. The airfork is unknown to me, so for now, I'm not going to sell my 16 for a newer airfork bike.

There was over a $2k difference between a 16 and 17 when I bought mine. I bought the 16 and put the money saved into the suspension. I pulled the stock 4cs internals out and put Dal Soggio Sphere inserts in. Any money invested into the 4cs is a lost cause and you'll never see a dime back. At the very least I could sell my inserts or transfer them to my next bike. The other advantage to the 17 is the traction control which cannot be found on the 16. The AER forks are considerably better then the 4cs but still need work... A lot of guys I ride with are seeing this with their AER fork... 

Edited by Monk

Get the 16, the 4cs when revalved by a good tech can work great. I had mine done by a local guy for woods riding and they are great. And if you really want the Tc and cool bling of the 17 just buy the wiring harness and ECU of the 17 and put it on the 16....Yes the 17 is overall better but the 16 is a fantastic bike none the less. The forks CAN be made right. regardless of what others say. 

• Like 1

But the fixes you suggest would cost as much as a 17 overall with the same resale as a 16

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mog said:

But the fixes you suggest would cost as much as a 17 overall with the same resale as a 16

It probably comes out close, but what I'm saying is that he can get a 16 and if he wants, still get a lot of the 17 stuff down the road. But it's his choice 

On 5/9/2017 at 6:17 AM, jclarke450 said:

Hey Guys,

I have been off the site for several years, but wanted some input.  Getting ready to purchase a new to me 350  either Husky or KTM.  I cant decide between buying a used 16 for a lot less $ or buying the new 17.  I had a 2015 FC350 that I got to ride for just a couple hours before it along with my RMZ450 were stolen last July.   I had been considering the 450, but I think I am pretty happy with the 350.  Anyone here have a 16 that has gotten the 4CS to work really well?  I hate the 4CS stock, and know it would take some $ to make it better, but not sure if anyone has come up with a reasonable fix <$1k that would justify passing on a new 17 with AER fork.  I have to admit that I have pretty much decided to go with the 17, but I am really hoping someone will chime in and tell me how awesome  xxx shop was and made their 4CS amazing for $800 or so.  Thoughts?  Anyone here with a 17 that could chime in?  I ride mostly MX and have some property of my own.  Occasional racing, and lots of track practice.  I am a relatively quick Intermediate Vet rider about 175 lbs for reference.

I have a 16 and love it.  I got Pete from NOST Suspension to revalve the 4cs forks and they are WAYYYYY better.  He charged me $900

• Like 1

Just now, bkevinmar said:

I have a 16 and love it.  I got Pete from NOST Suspension to revalve the 4cs forks and they are WAYYYYY better.  He charged me $900

Yea, like i said you can make the 4cs work really well if you get the right guy. 

• Like 1

The 17 exc's all have the new generation frame, engine and suspension so... 

You can put a set of AERs on a 2016 in a heartbeat. They cost ~$800 to $1k, and you can always throw your 4cs back on there when it comes time to sell.

2018 info was just released and this might reduce the price on a new bike, somewhat.

just to close out this topic, I ended up buying a 2017.  by the time discounts were done, I probably paid a little bit more than I could have bought a 16 for and then added the AER.  But its brand new and its always fun having a new bike.  

Thanks to all for the feedback.

• Like 2

And the resale is higher

• Like 2