16 vs 17 350 (submitted on KTM and Husky Forum)

Hey Guys,

I have been off the site for several years, but wanted some input.  Getting ready to purchase a new to me 350  either Husky or KTM.  I cant decide between buying a used 16 for a lot less $ or buying the new 17.  I had a 2015 FC350 that I got to ride for just a couple hours before it along with my RMZ450 were stolen last July.   I had been considering the 450, but I think I am pretty happy with the 350.  Anyone here have a 16 that has gotten the 4CS to work really well?  I hate the 4CS stock, and know it would take some $ to make it better, but not sure if anyone has come up with a reasonable fix <$1k that would justify passing on a new 17 with AER fork.  I have to admit that I have pretty much decided to go with the 17, but I am really hoping someone will chime in and tell me how awesome  xxx shop was and made their 4CS amazing for $800 or so.  Thoughts?  Anyone here with a 17 that could chime in?  I ride mostly MX and have some property of my own.  Occasional racing, and lots of track practice.  I am a relatively quick Intermediate Vet rider about 175 lbs for reference.

Easy answer.  Buy a Yamaha.  KTM / Husky has made too many sacrifices to save weight in the last several years.  I have a 2016 FE 450, I've done a lot of work on it to get it where I like it, in addition to general maintenance.  I see many design decisions that have been purely weight driven that result in a much less durable product.  The bike seems cheap and fragile in my opinion.  And just to be clear, the 4CS forks absolutely suck unless you don't know any better.

The frame on the '17 is much better then the older ones. You can get the 4CS to work as many tuners have them figured out for a minimum $800. Some people are not liking the ARE forks in stock form. This will add some to the purchase price if you are a picky person about suspension. Overall the '17 is a better bike for performance and should have the same durability.

• Like 1