Beta 350 4 stroke dependability

My friend is a diehard pumpkin lover. I've considered getting a 350XC-F. I own a 2015 300RR. I like everything I read about the Beta 350 RR Race.

How do you 350 owners feel about the dependability?

Be honest, if you own one and know why I shouldn't get one, speak up.

Tell me what you love about it also.

I didn't go through all that, but first thing is they have been building their own 4t motors since 2009. The two stroke didn't come around until 2013. So they have plenty experience with fourstrokes. 

The motors are very  reliable, just like the other Beta  Fourstrokes. We have put a lot of hard race/practice hours on them with zero motor issues. 

The only thing I can say bad is it's just a big motor, bigger than a 350 should be in my opinion (same platform as the bigger cc motors) But that's probably why it's so trouble free. 

• Like 1

Mine has roughly 1,017 miles and about 45 hours if memory serves me correctly. I bought it in November. And I have had 0 issues.  I think somethings they could have done better for finishing touches. But overall it's a great bike. 

• Like 1

I bought my Beta 390 RRS from a dealer who sells both KTM's and Beta's.  He's been in the business for as along as I can remember...it is family owned.  He told me that they have less engine problems with the Beta four-strokes, that Beta made a great engine and didn't change the good design, only refined it. He owns a Beta 500.  Conversely, he felt KTM changed the designs too often which led to teething problems for the first year or two.   I certainly appreciated the Beta being ready to ride, with no issues of over-heating, flame-outs, and such that plagued my 2015 KTM 350 exc-f, even after some expensive modifications to cure that.  I ride very slow and technical single-track often, and the 390, even though not yet fully broken in, handles it well and stays cool running.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MasterBeta said:

I misspelled sense smh

Is there any reason why you would post a oversized weird Text message rant to this topic, Vs. explaining the highlights of it or any other part of a relevant conversation pertaining to the topic? 

I like the fact that he shared. Probably a chat with a trusted but biased friend like I also have so many. He was defending a smaller, more niche brand Beta, like I would have done. Keep on sharing and ignore the nay sayers

• Like 1

I also own a Beta 500 with 200 hrs, had a seal gone bad between the engine chambers and rear wheel bearing going for a toss. Nothing else really!

• Like 1

I like the fact that he shared. Probably a chat with a trusted but biased friend like I also have so many. He was defending a smaller, more niche brand Beta, like I would have done. Keep on sharing and ignore the nay sayers

Exactly! I was just showing what I'm dealing with out of my friend. I had the same treatment when I bought the 300RR 2015. They all thought it was a mistake. They were wrong.

Is there any reason why you would post a oversized weird Text message rant to this topic, Vs. explaining the highlights of it or any other part of a relevant conversation pertaining to the topic? 

The texts were the whole reason I started the topic. My friend is bashing Beta pretty hard because it's not orange and over priced so I needed the opinions of beta 4t owners. The texts were just for reference

I would just about buy the 350RR out of spite. I have so many friends that ride ktms and bash my choice of bike. But I think I'm just going to buy it because it's the smart thing to do. You get so much more comparatively speaking.

Back in '99 my best riding buddy thought I was Loco for buying a European niche bike the KTM 300. Fast forward 15 years and he once again thought I was Nuts for buying a Beta. (of course he has now owned several KTM's). Let him ride it in the forest and he was amazed that stone stock my Beta 2015 500 RS was like a works bike compared to his KTM 350.

What type of riding do you do? Why the smaller bore when it seems like your friends have KTM 500's? From my demo rides on KTM's the last 2 years the power delivery doesn't compare on the fueling of KTM's vs. Beta's as well the suspension and handling is better on Red.  2 friends bought KTM 350's after the demo day and both have struggled with running them stock and had to do lots of modifications to bring them around. KTM reliability has gone out the window with the redesign of the engines and chassis. Beta's are solid. Go Red. March to a different drummer.

• Like 1

Bomb proof don't listen to him. Baby the bike true I don't often hit the limiter as you don't need to. This is a mid range to upper mid style engine, the KTM is far more free reving but not as smooth. Their 2017 KTM's are better than the previous models  the exc is closer to the Beta than the xcf but the Beta feels stronger everywhere but the top end the xcf is faster. I do race mine in enduro's, natural terrain m/x, pony express events, in my class I'm at the pointy end of the field so its not babied. 

Far as stalling goes the Beta is king at not stalling I'm amazed at how this bike just lugs there is no other 4st I've ridden like this. In the US from what I can see the Beta can come with smog gear not sure about this as ours have none. It may have an effect as with different mapping not sure if i bought one there I'd take it off get a pipe and have the FMF map installed I like the 300+ map. If i was to buy new again and yes I'd buy another Beta if nothing else rides better, I'd go the factory model just for the closed chamber forks. I know some guys like the OC but for what I do CC are just leaps and bounds better. 

Your friend is right the top end is a pain but really its not needed often, valves are also harder to check compared to my 2014 YZ250F but every time I ride them back to back I'm glad my son races the Yam. Small issues the riding sure makes up for 20 minutes longer on valve checks. They are not perfect and do require some set up mainly suspension which is woefully soft in std trim if you ride with any agro a revalve is needed for sure. 

Here in Australia Husky are the most expensive, KTM, Beta are a good deal cheaper and parts are way cheaper. I like the new KTM's (xplor forks are junk)  but the BETA is BETA :):)

One other thing long rant I know ;) I posted up about Beta to give people information I was very wary about buying an Italian 4st as I also have raced road bikes and have history with Ducati and they are a true finicky Euro bike that needs $$$ Beta are not. 

MM 

• Like 1

My 350 and my 390 have been rock solid, always start instantly hot or cold, never flame out, and I really like that it holds 1500 ml of oil with separate oil for trans and engine.  My buddies 17 KTM 350 xcf on the other hand is the king of flame outs, hard starting, cold blooded and funky handling.  We traded bikes last week and he was instantly faster on my 390 race while I struggled to keep up on his KTM.  He was very impressed with the motor, handling and suspension.  Have two other buddies with KTM 350's another 17 that also flames out all the time and the other a 13 or 14 that has blown the motor twice, once when the cam chain tensioner let loose and destroyed the whole engine.  He's on a Beta now.

• Like 1

2016 430RRRE 80+ hours 

Valve clearance check @7 hours (no shims needed)

Re-map (FMF-0) @ 15 hours (no charge from dealer)

Throttle body failure (stepper motor) @ 41 hours (could be due to a mis-seated air filter that I caused, letting in pounds of dirt....) - warranty (15 months ownership)

Valve clearance check @ 41 hours (no shims needed)

Water pump seal failure @ 46 hours (parts warranty at 15 months ownership)

Hours spent regretting my purchase = 0 hours

Power quality (1 out of 10) = 9  (really good power delivery)

Number of KTM's tried previously, that were sold off out of handling and power frustrations=

-2012 KTM 500XCFW, kept for 30 hours. Flexy, underpowered, crappy suspended POS. Underpowered even after full uncorking, mapping, piping, etc.

-2008 KTM 450 SXF (from Darrly Eklund, for Caselli's dad, but he never rode it) kept for 40 hours - not bad really, but still terrible forks. Underpowered! Hard to believe....

-2013 350 XCFW (kept for 30 hours) - so cheap I couldn't pass it up, but just more of the same issues. Extremely underpowered!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Danceswithtrees said:

My 350 and my 390 have been rock solid, always start instantly hot or cold, never flame out, and I really like that it holds 1500 ml of oil with separate oil for trans and engine.  My buddies 17 KTM 350 xcf on the other hand is the king of flame outs, hard starting, cold blooded and funky handling.  We traded bikes last week and he was instantly faster on my 390 race while I struggled to keep up on his KTM.  He was very impressed with the motor, handling and suspension.  Have two other buddies with KTM 350's another 17 that also flames out all the time and the other a 13 or 14 that has blown the motor twice, once when the cam chain tensioner let loose and destroyed the whole engine.  He's on a Beta now.

Reason your buddy was faster on the Beta was the motor. XCF motors are the MX's for the woods and are (350cc) a handful for most riders. Put him on a 250XCF and he would be much faster then the Beta. Two very different motor design intents. Comparing a 350XCF-W/EXC would be more inline with the beta. 

Sorry guys I'm part ktm now. And wasting your time reading this topic. Still have my beta 300. But I went with the ktm mostly because it was more convenient. No local beta dealers. This will be my last post so it doesn't bump it upIMG_2865.JPG

• Like 2

WTF and why would you would listen to that cali fruit loop 

• Like 2