Sign in to follow this  

'12 350 SXF Battery Draining

Just sold my '12 350 EXC-F and got a '12 350 SXF. Am very pleased with this bike although the battery drains when not in use. 

I can charge it, leave it overnight and the bike won't turn over the next morning (this happens overnight). I read something about it possibly being the starter relay. Bought a new starter relay and same problem, battery drains when not in use. 

Right now i'm just taking the negative lead off the battery when I'm not riding it but this is getting old and I'm looking for a permanent fix. 

To be honest I'm terrible with electronics, looking for the magic bullet here. 

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue? Or a direction to point me towards? Thanks for any and all advice. 

So, if you unhook the battery overnight, then hook it back up its starts like a champ? If you leave it hooked up, it's dead the next day? If that is the case, then something is drawing power. You'll need an ampmeter or low amp probe. Once you confirm the amperage draw, you then disconnected stuff one at a time to see where the drain is coming from. In most cases, the mystery turns out to be a bad battery, but occasionally there is a weirdo problem.

Correct, leave battery unhooked and hook it back up and fire right up. Leave it hooked up overnight and it will drain. 

I thought it was a bad battery too but I'm on #2 right now. Not a bad battery. 

What do I need to focus on amperage draw? I'm terrible with electronics. 

I would start checking across things that should be off , sounds like something is not turning off all the way when engine is off.

I pulled my gas tank this weekend to install new throttle cables and when I put it back together to "FI" light started blinking. I believe this may be a symptom but didn't get a chance to use the voltmeter this weekend as linkage bearings took precedence. Wanted to update and see if anyone had any other ideas after FI light started blinking.