I was just wondering if the oil mod is for just the YFZ quad or for the YZ dirtbike too?  I have an 03 yz450f and that is why I was wondering.  

He's referring to the addition of a spray nozzle directed at the underside of the piston crown for cooling.

It was added to the YZ/WRF 450 in '06 ('07 for the WR).  The '03-'05 models never had a problem because it wasn't there, and the '03 I had lived a very long time without one.  Never a failure of anything, and still running fine when I sold it.  I don't consider it necessary or worthwhile.

1 hour ago, grayracer513 said:

He's referring to the addition of a spray nozzle directed at the underside of the piston crown for cooling.

It was added to the YZ/WRF 450 in '06 ('07 for the WR).  The '03-'05 models never had a problem because it wasn't there, and the '03 I had lived a very long time without one.  Never a failure of anything, and still running fine when I sold it.  I don't consider it necessary or worthwhile.

Im not to sure how to do it but i have read a little bit about it. how long did you go with no problems?  also if i was to do it to my 03, would i have to get the newer side case?  thanks 

I'm not certain.  The '03-'05 YZ450 and the Quad for which this is recommended were of the same Gen1 design.  Probably have to use some new stuff for the YZF engines of the affected year.

Note that Yamaha never issued any such recommendation for the Gen1 450 motorcycles.

My '03 had well over 250 hours on it.  Desert stuff mostly, including long runs at speed in 4th gear.  There's no chance you could talk me into spending as much on this mod for my own '03-'05 as it would likely take to do it.

There is info on this in a YFZ quad forum. 

I looked at it out of curiosity for my '03 YZ450F but found it's only needed for a certain big bore piston that fouls the Gen 2 Yamaha spray nozzle irrc. Yamaha or Vertex pistons are fine apparently.

Do a search for it. Good luck.

3 hours ago, Maiphut said:

There is info on this in a YFZ quad forum. 

I looked at it out of curiosity for my '03 YZ450F but found it's only needed for a certain big bore piston that fouls the Gen 2 Yamaha spray nozzle irrc. Yamaha or Vertex pistons are fine apparently.

Do a search for it. Good luck.

So you are saying it is for a big bore kit?  But my stock bore with a wiseco piston is okay?

Google it mate. Don't take what I say for granted am only recounting what I read on a YFZ quad forum.

It's on YFZcentral.com and yes it's an oil upgrade for big bore motors, cover, oil pump etc. Interesting too read through. May help understand why some do it.

Edited by Maiphut

I just re read the forum, yes its for stroked and big bore 501cc YFZ quad. So nothing too do with our '03 Gen1 450's.

I guess you could do it if you really wanted too, but I'm not going too bother.

Best getting everything in your rebuild done right too factory specs. Good luck I'm just finishing off a complete rebuild on mine.

Edited by Maiphut