Bike smoked after washing?

Newb here checking in, I have an '09 200 XC-W that I'm learning all this dirt riding stuff on. So far I've got about a dozen rides in without issue, aside from small stuff for maintenance. Tonight I had a weird experience after the usual hose down though. 

I shut the fuel off, went in the house to get something, came back out after a couple minutes and hosed the bike down (just a garden hose to loosen the mud). Afterwards I went and turned the fuel back on, but it just started pouring out one of the carb drain hoses until I turned the petcock off again. I tried to kick the bike a few times, but it wouldn't start till I held the throttle wide open and kicked it, at which point it blew white steam or smoke for 2-3 seconds and then resumed back to idling like normal, it wasn't very dense but definitely a bit thicker than the usual smoke from the bike, and definitely not blue. I didn't smell anything odd when it came out, wasn't really sure what it was though. After that I revved it and let it idle for a minute and everything seemed normal, but I've hosed the bike after every ride and that's the first time I've seen that. The fuel draining out the carb problem also went away after I leaned the bike over on it's side and then rolled it over to the garage right before starting it. So, did I do something wrong or...? I just reread and saw in the manual they mention draining the carb via the bolt underneath "following every wet cleaning procedure" so that water isn't in the float bowl.

Did u plug your pipe. U prob got water in the pipe when u were spraying it down

IMG_2307.JPG
U could honestly use anything to put in there as long as it doesn't fall into your exhaust and make sure it is not letting water in, but I highly recommend one of these.

Newb here checking in, I have an '09 200 XC-W that I'm learning all this dirt riding stuff on. So far I've got about a dozen rides in without issue, aside from small stuff for maintenance. Tonight I had a weird experience after the usual hose down though. 
I shut the fuel off, went in the house to get something, came back out after a couple minutes and hosed the bike down (just a garden hose to loosen the mud). Afterwards I went and turned the fuel back on, but it just started pouring out one of the carb drain hoses until I turned the petcock off again. I tried to kick the bike a few times, but it wouldn't start till I held the throttle wide open and kicked it, at which point it blew white steam or smoke for 2-3 seconds and then resumed back to idling like normal, it wasn't very dense but definitely a bit thicker than the usual smoke from the bike, and definitely not blue. I didn't smell anything odd when it came out, wasn't really sure what it was though. After that I revved it and let it idle for a minute and everything seemed normal, but I've hosed the bike after every ride and that's the first time I've seen that. The fuel draining out the carb problem also went away after I leaned the bike over on it's side and then rolled it over to the garage right before starting it. So, did I do something wrong or...? I just reread and saw in the manual they mention draining the carb via the bolt underneath "following every wet cleaning procedure" so that water isn't in the float bowl.

You probably got water in the exhaust

51 minutes ago, Flo-Orange said:

..turned the fuel back on, but it just started pouring out one of the carb drain hoses until I turned the petcock off again...

There is only one way that can happen, problem with the float needle/seat. This can happen from debre in the fuel getting stuck between the needle and seat.  There are other ways this can happen like bad float, worn needle tip, or bad seat o-ring/gasket.  By far the most common is debre.  Smoke will come out when it is staarted after being flooded.  You should check the bottom of you fuel jug for dirt or rust flakes.

Well funny enough this was the one wash that I couldn't find my exhaust plug (until later I found it in the parts bin), so instead of stuffing something down down the pipe I just tried to avoid it as best as possible. I'm kind of surprised though because it seems like it would take plenty of water to cause something like that, and I really made sure not to spray near the exhaust opening in that case, but I guess it makes sense if I've been fine every wash except this one...

58 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

There is only one way that can happen, problem with the float needle/seat. This can happen from debre in the fuel getting stuck between the needle and seat.  There are other ways this can happen like bad float, worn needle tip, or bad seat o-ring/gasket.  By far the most common is debre.  Smoke will come out when it is staarted after being flooded.  You should check the bottom of you fuel jug for dirt or rust flakes.

So basically just follow what this article says? http://www.championpowerequipment.com/media/2048/how-to-cure-a-carburetor-that-is-flooding-fuel.pdf

The reason it smoked for a little while was due to the motor being flooded with fuel after the float needle got jammed or had a bit of dirt wedged in it no more no less and I very much doubt any thing to do with  water in any way shape or form.

Worth going into the carb to look for a bit of debris in the float needle seat.

• Like 3

Ok, so the washing part was actually just coincidental, judging by the symptoms and the fact that it turned over with the throttle wide open, I'm going to go with the "clogged float needle causing flooding" situation. Thanks for the help guys,  now my only other question is, should I just take the carb out now and clean it or test ride it once more and see if it happens again after a short time?

Is there dirt specks in the bottom of your fuel jug?

Is there a float bowl inspection plug you can remove so you don't have to pull the carb?

Yes #6. You loosen the band clamps to the intake and air filter boots.  Then rotate the carb a little to get access the bottom plug.

I am guessing you are fine to ride it.  They make inline filters if you are worried about it happening again.

Well that would make things a whole lot easier, I'll make sure to do that instead of wedging a wrench down there to make 1/4 turns on it. Just part of being a newb I suppose, lol.

Seems like a pretty good idea, but I'm guessing you mean it's a PITA because you have to wait for the fuel to filter through the screen?

Just guessing, but it looks like you remove it from the tank after fueling and it is all wet and stinky.

Ya you have to wait for it to filter through, and no need to take out, it threads in and you just leave it in there

I was thinking how could it thread in with all the different tanks out there, now I see.  They only make it for a few bikes. Not mine.

theres already a filter on the fuel petcock. no dirt from your gas is getting to carb. if theres dirt in your carb it most likely came from the vent lines.

• Like 1