Sign in to follow this  

Hard to decide what to do

Went to the local 'vintage' MX races sunday, both arms still out of action but could watch.  There is the dual purpose class where it has to be 'plated' and street legal (mirrors must come off) and from what I saw my 'L' will be 'competitive' based on what I saw.  Rode the track on the X last year, know what I am looking at, and since it is a 'vintage' track not as hard on suspensions as the more modern tracks, but 'stock' may be a little hard on this old body.  Do I go all the way with 'Race Tech' front and rear, or just Race Tech front and the less expensive Hagon on rear.  I have no problem with it on the back yard track as it is, but 5 'fast' laps will more than likely beat my old body to death on the vintage track.

Momma had to drive me to track Sunday ( I can't drive as both arms are out of action due to surgery and medications (that damn pulse pain drives me nuts, 8 in long scar down across elbow both sides) and interacted with all my friends and 'kinda' gave me a 'go' to try it one more time as she saw how much I miss MX.  So maybe the 'Dual Purpose Class' in the mix, and the 50Plus Class as last.................

I still got here at the farm either way, as it is good physical activity to get heart pumpin and parts movin, and chasing Lilly is getting harder and harder....her first race this year is last weekend in May, her and her 'class', 4 of the 5 girls that ride her 11-16 class ride here at the farm will be training this weekend, gave them all the exercises to do at home, we work on jump approach, take off and landing this weekend, next weekend cornering and transmission gear selection and shifting timing (one has a semi auto still).  Starts are still a comedy of errors that's later in the year.

Will try and get some pic's up later of the farm track improvements, and the girls, racing by proxy is still fun.

Saddletime Ceresco on Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/Saddletime-Ceresco-986591398057786/

• Like 1

You're old enough to know that you never regret buying quality. If the money isn't an issue I'd go RT front and back.

12 hours ago, oldsoldier173 said:

Do I go all the way with 'Race Tech' front and rear, or just Race Tech front and the less expensive Hagon on rear.

I have the Race Tech extra front spring in the forks and YSS rear shock...that's about as budget as you can get, but is a huge improvement over stock!

Right now it is budget issues.  Grand daughters bike rebuild and modification, the suspension upgrade on the 250L, and getting that California compliant crap off the KLR 650 and its required performance mods.  The sponsorship deal for grand daughters racing fell through, really bad 'change' to the conditions wanted from sponsor, and the truck needs front end done.  Have a lot of work to keep the KLX110L competitive one more year, she will be on a 150 next year, she is too short for the 150 as of today.  We are just dealing with Mr. Murphy's law of personal finance.

The vintage track is doable stock, just will beat me to death, meant for the vintage era suspensions, but still a lot of banging around.  I want to be up and running physically and equipment wise by September for last of season, and right now it is the priority is grand daughters bike then the L then the KLR.

I looked at YSS, and Hagon as alternatives for rear, based on cost, there are a few options for front as well, but the RT front to me looks like the only way to go.  I just can't let go of racing, once you stop living, all you do is begin dieing.

Edited by oldsoldier173

8 minutes ago, oldsoldier173 said:

Right now it is budget issues.

Have you called Race Tech and asked about discounts for Vets ?  I do not believe it is advertised but, have heard they give out a pretty good deal to those that have served .... 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gnath9 said:

Have you called Race Tech and asked about discounts for Vets ?  I do not believe it is advertised but, have heard they give out a pretty good deal to those that have served .... 👍

I did not know that either, thanks Gman. I really need to get these forks sorted out. 

2 minutes ago, PatriotUSMC said:

I did not know that either, thanks Gman. I really need to get these forks sorted out. 

Be sure to call them and talk to them personally ... 👍 

• Like 1

One consideration is the Racetech uses a floating piston, some of the others are emulsion, which isn't as temperature stable, wouldn't notice much on trails or road, but few race with them anymore because of fade.  would definitely go with a remote reservoir to gain a compression adjustment in addition to rebound, and more oil volume, pretty much leaving the Racetech and Ohlins, although even the standard RT shock is pretty good.  Even compared to Hagon and Yss as far as cost, Racetech is pretty generous with discounts, and being US sourced is better suited for customer service and tech assist help.  You could save some money by having the stocker rebuilt by racetech, but between shipping it both ways, downtime, and ending up with an inferior product, it really isn't worth it, especially being you can sell the race tech and reinstall the stocker if you get rid of the bike, or sell off the stocker if you plan on keeping it.

Edited by alucard0822
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alucard0822 said:

or sell off the stocker if you plan on keeping it.

I sent my stocker to Race Tech's R & D department as a gift ....  👍 

because ..... well you know ... I am a super fan ... :banana:  

bythenumbers_freestone17.jpg

Edited by gnath9