WARNING about Leatt 5.5 Pro HD Body Armor

I want to let people know that the Leatt 5.5 Pro HD Body Armor WILL BREAK YOUR RIBS!!!!!!! My cousin and I both have the Leatt and we both got injured from it in the same place. What happens is this. If you fold the front wheel and go down, the handlebars catch the armor plate that is supposed to "protect" your ribs and it gets driven up under your arm causing major injury. I dumped my bike going too slow in soft sand and I bruised the HELL out of my ribs. My cousin did the same thing at a little higher of a speed and he broke 5 ribs and a small bone under his shoulder blade and is in the hospital as we speak in major pain. Both injuries were 100% caused by this product. What happens is that the rib "protector" on this is attached to elastic that clips in the front and when the bars get caught under it as you are being brought forward and down due to a front wheel fold, the elastic stretches and it digs right into your upper rib cage. There is absolutely NO protection under your arm in that area. IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to wear extra padding underneath the 5.5 that protect your ribs high up. Something like the Forcefield Rib Protector (www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-r...gHlIs0A6GgIwA_D_BwE. Some guys are even using rodeo vests underneath. I'm actually waiting for Leatt to contact me back to discuss this with them. PLEASE heed this warning guys!!!

21 minutes ago, sixdaysoffun said:

Ive never had a problem and have gone down hard plenty of times

Trust me, if your bars grab that piece that's on the elastic you are leaving in an ambulance.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like no fault of Leatt's other than maybe inadequate protection.  From your description it sounds like you would have had the same injury if you weren't wearing it.

• Like 6

Yeah, Sounds like operator error to me as well. G

• Like 5

So you're the reason they put the "No protective gear can prevent all injury, user accepts risks and responsibilities" etc etc sticker on everything....

Because no protective gear can prevent all injuries....

• Like 7

I have the same one. Went down extremely hard the other day and if I didn't have this on I'd be writing from the hospital. I think it's the best out there. There will always be a freak thing that happens remember you riding a dirt bike on the edge of control in unstable conditions. Shit is gonna happen. Do blame the equipment

• Like 2

I sure hope the OP has read the comments here and reconsidered bitching at Leatt about a problem that isn't a problem.  They are a company that is all about safety, their equipment is tested way beyond conditions in which it will ever be used.  But, there is no way to account for absolutely every possible scenario.

• Like 2

Just imagine if your handle bar end went into your helmet opening and jammed in between you're head and the helmet.  That could be really ugly.  Better not wear a helmet just in case. 

• Like 6

On 5/11/2017 at 6:14 AM, cjjeepercreeper said:

I sure hope the OP has read the comments here and reconsidered bitching at Leatt about a problem that isn't a problem.  They are a company that is all about safety, their equipment is tested way beyond conditions in which it will ever be used.  But, there is no way to account for absolutely every possible scenario.

I totally disagree. No engineer or testing is perfect. Real-world scenarios and failures are more useful than any testing. They should contact Leatt and describe their injuries and crashes. If there is a way to improve upon the current design they will.

I have one and am glad to know there is a chance of this. I don't know that I will wear a protector for my protector, but always wearing a jersey over-top might help so less gets caught. These things are too damn hot for that though so oh-well!