How hard is it to kick start your Z??

Sup guys,

New to the hobby so don't have any experience with a kick start bike, but recently added one to my 400S after a summer of electrical issues  (which I have since fixed after finding a frayed cable which was replaced with the free power mod)

Now that it's back up and running fine, I tried to kick it a few times and just can't get the bugger to start with kick, starter gets it going Just fine. Just not sure if im not finding TDC before kicking, or if it's just a PITA without a manual decomp. P.O added a CW 434 and it's still got the stock S cams with the auto decomp but still no dice on the kick - just rolls over and a few meek putters.

Is this just a tricky bike to kick over, or is it just my inexperience that's to fault? Any advice is appreciated ? 

Edited by RC_ichard
Typo

I briefly had a S with a kick starter. It fired up readily. Does your bike start the instant you push the button? It could be your idle and/or fuel screw isn't properly set. Technique could be a big part of it as well. Generally 4 strokes don't want any throttle to start if everything is tuned well.

• Like 1

Technique/tune. I can start my 462 on the first kick and it doesnt have a decomp. 

Edited by albani
  • Like 1

Very encouraging, thanks guys!

On the electric starter it will fire up after 2-3 revolutions on half choke cold, and usually 1-2 once it's warm with no choke. Fuel issue are a very real possibility since I had the carb apart, but i made sure to put the extended adjust screw the same 2.5 turns from seated (which could have been wrong from the start and i never noticed) and set idle adjust to hit the OEM specs at idle.

I'll trouble shoot for lean/rich and work on my technique.... the ladder being my prime suspect. Also going to find someone local who knows how to give it a good go and make sure it's just me and not my bike.

Always open to any tips to make it easier, I'm 6'2'' @ 180lb so should be able to do it physically, so it's just down to how I execute, etc.

Thx guys!

Edited by RC_ichard

Have a 2000 E model with a kick.

Was having trouble starting it,replaced the valve shims to the correct specs. Now it fires up with one push of the button or on the first kick. No choke.

Have you checked your valves?

Mine were only out of spec on the intake side.

• Like 1