What made you want to get a Beta?

I'd like to hear how those of you who have purchased a new Beta in recent months or over the past couple of years heard about the brand and were convinced to drop thousands of dollars on what was a relatively unknown, non-mainstream bike for the US. Was it through Beta advertising? Magazine reviews? This forum? YouTube reviews? Your friends or people on the trails? I don't have one (yet), but what motivated me to look into one was the Australian Barry's cross training YouTube channel. I ride a cr250 off road and needed a dual sport for daily commute and was just going to go with the DRZ400 like most penny pinchers who couldn't fathom to pay what KTM was asking. But somehow after watching video reviews and reading the overwhelmingly positive reviews on this forum I'm now looking buy a 500 rr-s, even though it's really not that much cheaper than the KTM!

• Like 1

For me it was all about function and reliability. Dave at get Dirty Dirt Bikes was racing them and had a really sweet desert course laid out to demo his personal bikes. Not to mention mine had a carb. The KTM's are a real money pit just to get suspension dialed in and keep in running condition.

My Beta required nothing more than proper springs for a great handling bike. Daves bikes were revalved and that much better. I had my suspensioned tuned at bushing changing time. The Marzocchi forks and Sachs shock have been some of the best components out there. Both fork and shock internals are just like works bikes. Internal hard anodizing does not flake and zero wear on the fork tubes after 250hrs. 

The 498 motor is super reliable and will take you anywhere. 1051 miles in 17hrs to a 3 day 850 mile Death Valley ride. Slap on a 10 paddle and run it for hours full throttle up the dunes. Come back to camp swap out wheels and run it hard in the desert for a few more days. 

Change out plastic oil pump gears every 100 hrs or switch to steel ones for max reliability.

• Like 4

Best combination of features. Great price for a new bike with those features.

In my case the xtrainer has things stock that no other bike has. Road legal 2 stroke. 125 chassis. 300cc torque. Low seat.

It helps that they are gaining in popularity and support is available via internet.

If Yamaha or Honda or ktm made the same bike for the same price I might have gone that way, but they don't.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, md30 said:

I'd like to hear how those of you who have purchased a new Beta in recent months or over the past couple of years heard about the brand and were convinced to drop thousands of dollars on what was a relatively unknown, non-mainstream bike for the US. Was it through Beta advertising? Magazine reviews? This forum? YouTube reviews? Your friends or people on the trails? I don't have one (yet), but what motivated me to look into one was the Australian Barry's cross training YouTube channel. I ride a cr250 off road and needed a dual sport for daily commute and was just going to go with the DRZ400 like most penny pinchers who couldn't fathom to pay what KTM was asking. But somehow after watching video reviews and reading the overwhelmingly positive reviews on this forum I'm now looking buy a 500 rr-s, even though it's really not that much cheaper than the KTM!

I wanted a bike that was light like a KTM, but with REAL suspension and handling.

I tried to make multiple KTM's work for me, but $1000's of dollars later, a had acheived very little.

Now the '17 KTM's are vastly improved in suspension and handling, but they are still not as 'robust' as other brands, overall.

......but nothing is easier to ride than a BETA, both slow and fast.

• Like 6

BACK IN 2012 MY HOMIE AT THE DIVE SHOP GOT A 450 AND WAS PRETTY HAPPY WITH IT ALONG WITH HIS CRF450, AND THE BETA CAME CA. PLATED, SO BIG TIME BONUS POINTS FOR THAT. THAT WAS THE FIRST I HAD HEARD ABOUT BETA, BACK THEN I WASNT RIDING AT ALL, AND I WAS SPENDING ALL MY MONEY ON MUSIC GEAR FOR MY MUSIC STUDIO THAT I BUILT. SO NOW THATS ALL IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE, AND SO THIS YEAR I DECIDED I WANTED TO GET READY AND GO RIDE THE MOUNTAINS DURING THE SUMMER TIME AND GET BACK TO NATURE A LITTLE BIT. SO, I WENT AND CHECKED OUT ALL THE BIKES DISREGARDING PRICE, AND I HADNT EVEN READ ANYTHING ONLINE OR IN PRINT ABOUT ANY BIKE, YET. BECAUSE I WASNT EVEN SURE I WANTED A DIRTBIKE, SO AFTER LOOKING AT ALL THE KTMS AND HUSKIES, HONDAS, SUZUKI'S, AND KAWASAKI'S I FOUND THE BETA.

BAM, I GOT MINES.

IVE READ EVERYTHING ONLINE THAT I COULD FIND ABOUT THE 3 BIG PLAYERS IN THIS CATAGORY, AFTER I BOUGHT MINE.

NO SECOND GUESSING, THE BIKE IS ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS AND DIPS. IVE EVEN GONE BACK AND CHECKED OUT THE OTHERS ON THE MULTIPLE OCCASSIONS THAT IVE GONE AND BOUGHT NEW GEAR FOR ME AND MY LADY. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT I LIKE THE BETA BEST. THE OTHER BIKES ARE REALLY NICE TOO THO, BUT YEAH I'M HAPPY AND I'D BUY IT AGAIN.

I LIKE THE OTHER 2 PLAYERS AND THOSE ARE PROBABLY GREAT BIKES TOO, IN MY OPPINION I LIKE THE HUSKY A LITTLE BETTER THAN THE KTM, BUT THE BETA JUST FEELS MORE CAPABLE, LOWER CENTER OF GRAVITY AND ALL, JUST MAKES IT FEEL COMFORTABLE AND PLANTED TACKLING SOME OF THE CRAZY STUFF WE'VE BEEN THROUGH. I STILL HAVENT DROPPED OR CRASHED MY BIKE, BUT WE DID FALL DOWN A SMALL MOUNTAIN IN AN AVALANCHE. MY HANDS NEVER LEFT THE BARS AND MY LEFT FOOT NEVER LEFT THE PEG AS WE SKIDDED DOWN THE MOUNTAIN, BUT I DIDNT CRASH OR LAY IT DOWN, ONCE AGAIN MY VALENTINA WAS ABLE TO RIDE IT OUT.  SHE ALSO LOOKS GOOD, AND REMINDS ME OF A DUCATI, AND WHO DOESNT LIKE THAT???

CIMG2593.JPG

Edited by surfer-dude

Enduro360.com, Cody Webb's Endurocross success, Thumpertalk, Beta Riders Forum and other's contributed to the decision to buy a bike I'd never ridden and get back into the sport after a long layoff.

I was looking for the best choice for a jack of all trades that could hold it's own on the MX course. Wanted something more durable than a full race engine.

Must haves: 6 spd., e-start, , linkage, correct power delivery, easily streetable. Bonus items like BYOB, red steel frame, warranty, passenger pegs available, keyed ignition and steering head, cooling fan, dual oil chambers etc. put it way over the top.

FWIW there is a dealer for the white bikes walking distance from my house. I bought from a dealer 3 hours away and have never visited the local dealer once. 0 warranty claims. Would do it over in a heartbeat, even if it meant going fuel injection:ride:

Be careful though, it turns out they are addicting..

Beta500RS.jpg

• Like 5

I bought the Xtrainer for many of the reasons above. I was also influenced by all the raving magazine and online reviews. I had never owned a dedicated enduro bike before. I figured if I was going to add one to the collection, I might as well buy the hottest one. It's so much more fun on tight, slippery trails then a MX bike.

And then there is the price. Much like a sore peter, you can't beat it.

Being able to have a Street legal 2 stroke in New York. Simply wasn't possible with the KTM or huskies.  

same here in jersey

Being able to have a Street legal 2 stroke in New York. Simply wasn't possible with the KTM or huskies.  

It is possible, ktms/husky come with a open title. You just have to tell the dealer or they will make the title offroad only

13 minutes ago, sixdaysoffun said:

It is possible, ktms/husky come with a open title. You just have to tell the dealer or they will make the title offroad only

After calling every NY dealer none would commit to doing it including my local ktm dealership. Every beta dealership was more than happy to.  

There's other reasons i chose beta as well such as a bit lower seat height, not as twitchy a front end as the KTM's and huskies and the oil injection is a nice touch albeit most seem to think its the worst thing since nazi's.  The beta's are a bit cheaper than the others as well when all is said and done.  

Plus its nice to have something different in a vast sea of orange.

The new KTM's peak my interest but I doubt i'll ever get one considering the taller seat height and more of a hassle to make it street legal(if at all).

Edited by k4f5x0r
  • Like 3

After calling every NY dealer none would commit to doing it including my local ktm dealership. Every beta dealership was more than happy to.  

There's other reasons i chose beta as well such as a bit lower seat height, not as twitchy a front end as the KTM's and huskies and the oil injection is a nice touch albeit most seem to think its the worst thing since nazi's.  The beta's are a bit cheaper than the others as well when all is said and done.  

Plus its nice to have something different in a vast sea of orange.

Huh thats dumb they wouldnt do it lol

My experience's always steered me away from questionable reliability from the KTM actually went to buy a new Husky. George Erl said the electronics are Chinese and the bike is not supported as in the old days of Swedish Husky or Italian Cagiva...Rode the Beta- read up, considered that in the past 8 years Beta has increased N. American sales 30% EACH YEAR and said, "ummm less price + lighter weight+ support from George=I'm in!"

Ride, Raced over 51 years. Owned over 46 bikes, best out of the box bike I have ever rode or owned. 

• Like 2

I used to have both a streetbike and a dirtbike(s).  I got rid of both once my firstborn was on the way.  I ended up with a Corvette.  

Once my daughter was on the way, had to get rid of the Vette and got a sedan.  My commute used to be a 54 mile roundtrip, now it is a 11 mile roundtrip.  My wife told me to get a bike, or a scooter which is what I really wanted but realized that a dual sport would be perfect both for the commute and to have some fun at night or on the weekends as there is enough dirt to ride on nearby to keep things fun, fun and interesting.  

I thought I wanted a CRF250L.  That it was all the power I'd need or want.  I was not sure I'd be happy with a non-adjustable suspension so I started thinking about the WR250-I wanted to stick with FI and e-start.  I never considered the DRz as I wanted FI.  Once I realized that I was ok with possibly spending $6,500 on a Yamaha dual sport, what is wrong with spending $10,000 on a dual sport.  

The only three that can be considered at the top are the KTM 500 EXC, the Husky 500, then the Beta.  I had read, watched, and trolled every post/thread on every forum for everything on the 500 RS/RR-S and just like Johnny Depp, the 2017 RR-S hit all the right notes.  The best reads were the shootouts between the bikes and the review where they took the stock 430 RR-S and raced it in the 24 hour Glen Helen.  

Again, like Johnny Depp, I had never even seen or ridden a Beta.  I went to see and sit on a 430 RR-S at the only dealer near me, 25 miles away, and once I sat on it I knew it was the right bike.  With white plastics and the 2016 graphics, which I'm so glad I got as they have grown on me, the bike has been nothing short of awesome.   I just can't stand how the bikes look with the red plastics.  The red plastics make me cringe.   15 hours and 300 miles and the bike is mint. 

I do need the oversized kickstand pad and the rear cush drive sprocket to make things just a bit better.  

P1110059_zps75rwt5gh.jpg

When it comes down to it, the Beta 500 RR-S was the best dual sport I could buy and to me, it is.  I love the bike.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 2

I'll add to that, that KTM/Husky dealers that I spoke with seemed to be so confident that they would sell every unit allotted to them that they didn't "seem"to care if I bought or not. Full boat, retail, +$800 for freight and set up, no budging. The two beta dealers I spoke with at least pretended to want me for a customer. I've got no problem with firm pricing, that's a business decision, just act like your excited about your product. As a result I drove three more hours to a dealer that was hungry for my business. I had never seen a beta but I was excited and wanted a dealer that was in it with me. KTM is an awesome bike but our dealer seemed entitled... I'm sure that's the exception but it made a difference to me. BTW, as a note to dealers: if your guys aren't passionate and know their stuff it shows. By the time we walk in we have researched endlessly. I don't know how many dealers I spoke with that had to grab a 2017 KTM brochure to tell me all the wonderful things about the bike they were "in love" with. I got mine from Donnell's in independence, MO and when the salesman didn't know he put the owner on The phone who owned a beta and he walked me through it good and bad.

• Like 2

Beta makes a 2 stroke that is street legal in NY?!?!?!?