Boot Fit Advice?

Hi, I just got a pair of Gaerne SG-12 boots. Normally I wear size 7-7.5, so I got them in size 7 (smallest they make). My toes aren't really super close to the end of the boots, maybe half an inch or maybe even three quarters of an inch. Is that normal? Overall if I tighten the buckles, they feel solid enough, I guess, but I was expecting a little more snug of a fit. It looks like Sidi starts their Crossfire 3 at size 8.5, so unless they size way differently, those might be too big. Any advice on how I can determine if it's a good fit or not? If the toes aren't near the end of the boot is that OK? How snug do I want the foot to be in terms of ability to wiggle the foot or lift the heel?

Really would appreciate any help! Thanks!

If they feel good riding then they fit right.  I wouldn't worry about 3/4 inch.  It's all about how they feel and how well you can control the bike wearing them.

So basically if they feel snug I should be good? Can you guys lift your heel when you're standing on flat ground? How does it feel when you walk on the ground? I know those aren't the same as riding but I can't really take these for a ride to test them--if I do I can't return them.

Really appreciate the advice so far, y'all might be saving me a big headache if these $$$ boots don't fit right.

I have the SG12s. They definitely run big in the toe box. I measure size 8.5 but I tend to get anything that goes on my foot 1/2 size or more larger because I have a pretty wide forefoot. Mine are snug in the ankle which I like. I do not notice any lifting of the ankle but I don't know that a little lifting in the ankle is that bad in MX (in snow skiing it's a very bad thing).

I also have a high arch, pronating foot and a bunion on the pinkey toe. My feet are a disaster when it comes to putting them into ski boots; MX boots are a joy in comparison - LoL. 

One thing you are going to find out if you decide to keep the boot is that the toe box is also very high. I would just about guarantee that you are going to need to adjust your shifter up higher. Even then it is going to take a while to get use to shifting with the SG12s. It took me about 3-4 visits to the track before I finally stopped mis-shifting and accidentally hitting the rear brake. Prior I had Fox Comp 8's.

I really like the protection the boot offers. A riding buddy also got SG12s after I did. Seems that it took him a bit longer to get use to the boot; same mis-shifting and braking issues. He says he's still not 100% over the shifting and braking issues but prefers the SG12s for the feel of the protection. He had to raise the shifter as well. Prior he was using Fox Instincts.

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I ended up getting Sidi Crossfire 2 SRS (they don't make Sidi Crossfire 3 SRS in my size). I got 41 in both Sidi and Gaerne (41 is the smallest Gaerne makes in SG-12 I believe). The Sidi fits so much better! I have a normal width foot and it's not too tight at all! The Gaerne was comfortable, but sloppy, The Sidi is comfortable but doesn't let my foot move around inside the boot much. Both appeared to be great boots, but my advice to anyone in the same boat, if the Gaerne is too loose, try the Sidi, and if the Sidi is too tight, try the Gaerne. If you have options for multiple sizes and want to stick with the same brand, going up a size in Sidi or down in Gaerne may also work. For me, the length seemed about the same on both 41s, so the only difference seemed to be the volume of the shoe (tightness of the sides, top).