bike will start easily with no air filter, doesn't want to start when a BRAND NEW one is installed, 08 full mod klx110

so I just built my mod 110's motor. but a 55mm stroker crank, all new bearings, 4 speed shift drum, mikuni vm26 carb, and oversized intake. started the bike yesterday for its heat cycles without the airfilter, started 3rd kick. after one heat cycle I put the air filter on (brand new BTW) and went to do the next heat cycle the next day when I got off work. went to start it, and it was struggling to start. took the air filter off, and I got it started right away. now this carb comes jetted for the 143cc bore/race head kit, but with the stroker crank it makes it a 155. if I start it and put the filter on it runs exceptional.....its just the hard start with it. I'm assuming, I could be wrong....but adding the air filter will richen it up some?  I feel as if it would be adding a choke to a bike that's not running an air filter....am I correct or wrong? vm26 has a pilot air screw I believe...so does this symptom sound rich or lean to you guys?

The vm's I am familiar with have an air screw.  Rule of thumb is that if the "screw" is on the air filter side of the slide, it is an air screw,  and a fuel screw if it is on the cylinder side of the carburetor slide.   If yours is an air screw,  turn it out a measured amount and try it again.  If you don't have it set to idle, it may act overly rich when starting if it is like the vms' that I had on four strokes.