Carb experts technical

Can someone explain the theory behind drilling a small hole in the needle jet funnel/holder, that portion the sticks up into the carb. It is done to somehow reduce fuel from the main. But I don't wish to try it to see. It is common among ufo adapters

still trying to figure out how to keep the main from contributing to the idle circuit. I got a thicker needle. Have not tried it yet. Why is it that the idle circuit will not support itself? 

You do not even need a main jet to start the bike and get an idle, so I don't understand what the heck you are tying to say.....

Idle is nearly 100% the pilot jet and the fuel or air screw trim adjustment, along with the pilot air jet (four stroke)

43 minutes ago, Krannie McKranface said:

You do not even need a main jet to start the bike and get an idle, so I don't understand what the heck you are tying to say.....

Idle is nearly 100% the pilot jet and the fuel or air screw trim adjustment, along with the pilot air jet (four stroke)

My freeride will not idle with slide bottomed out. I am trying to figure how to make it idle with the slide fully down. When you crack the slide open just a we bit, so it will idle, it sucks fuel, giving it a den, den, den, den even though  I have chopped the throttle.  When the slide is all the way bottomed out, it purs like a kitten, but I have to feather the throttle to keep it going, or just don't stop. Trials riders, which I sometimes pretend that I am, want the low end to be perfect. I can get it almost perfect, but it then knocks off on me often. I have the factory JJH in it now.  So I am going to try the thickest needle offered, an S.  Which I think will slow the anuerysm of the main. 95% of riders spend zero time at idle or near idle, so they never notice it

Edited by 1gr8bldr