Ignition switch/key reposition on sub-mounted 450/500 EXC for handguard mounts

I picked up some nice aftermarket anchoring mounts that for handguards for my 17 500 EXC-F. They bolt over in place of the handlebar clamps. They completely cover where the key would go in the ignition switch and I was reading when I bought them this was the case so wasn't surprised.

Anyone re-positioned their ignition switch, and if so have you got any pictures or advice for doing it?

I spent $5 on the eliminator plug and relocated mine to the box under my bench with the stock mirrors and emissions items.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wFo said:

I spent $5 on the eliminator plug and relocated mine to the box under my bench with the stock mirrors and emissions items. emoji1303.png

Do you have any kind of a switch now? What keeps someone, from... err... just walking up and riding off with it? I would enjoy not having that thing up there. I also want to get rid of the emissions stuff.

10 hours ago, kayakingsteve said:

Do you have any kind of a switch now? What keeps someone, from... err... just walking up and riding off with it? I would enjoy not having that thing up there. I also want to get rid of the emissions stuff.

The trick is to buy the 16 500EXC key switch tab and relocate it.  I think the tabs are 6-7 dollars and if you buy 2 you can cut one down for a spacer.  There is a post on here about someone doing that.

I bought a few tabs but it turned out I didn't need it.  Even though my bar mounts were covering the switch, by the time I was done getting my SUB mount and bar risers in I had all the clearance to the switch that I needed.

On 5/10/2017 at 11:32 AM, bldmtnrider said:

The trick is to buy the 16 500EXC key switch tab and relocate it.  I think the tabs are 6-7 dollars and if you buy 2 you can cut one down for a spacer.  There is a post on here about someone doing that.

I bought a few tabs but it turned out I didn't need it.  Even though my bar mounts were covering the switch, by the time I was done getting my SUB mount and bar risers in I had all the clearance to the switch that I needed.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of your setup would ya? :) I'll look for that post also