First harescramble coming up since 2010 and honestly I forgot a lot of my routine of stuff to do before race day and on race day. But one question is what should I put in my camelbak for the race? Half water half pedilyte? Is there a supplement at a local store I could get that helps with cramping and all that good stuff? A little late to order something offline but I could for the next race. It is only supposed to be 54 so I won't be dying of heat out there but I know I'll be sweating lol. Plus it is going to be pouring rain so let's see if the race even happens. Thanks everyone.

I always run water and ice or gatorade hydrating the week be for the race to keep the cramps away.

I just found an old thread started by myself lol. The answer I came up with is vitalyte. Does REI still sell it? Is it still good stuff?

• Like 1

Does anybody else have an idea instead of buying a Camelback? I just went to REI to look at one and they are $70 for 80 ounces. I am looking for something with the similar amount of ounces but not as expensive thank you.

26 minutes ago, Hondaracer1318 said:

Does anybody else have an idea instead of buying a Camelback? I just went to REI to look at one and they are $70 for 80 ounces. I am looking for something with the similar amount of ounces but not as expensive thank you.

Do you mean other than the Camelbak brand? You can get the off-brand models (Wal-mart/Target etc), but as always, you get what you pay for. Antimicrobial bladder (and hose) with wide mouth opening, smart storage, good shoulder straps. All these would be in a good waterpack. If you drink alot/long races, 3 liter, if not so much, 2 liter. But definitely hydrate for several days leading up to the race. 

Do you mean other than the Camelbak brand? You can get the off-brand models (Wal-mart/Target etc), but as always, you get what you pay for. Antimicrobial bladder (and hose) with wide mouth opening, smart storage, good shoulder straps. All these would be in a good waterpack. If you drink alot/long races, 3 liter, if not so much, 2 liter. But definitely hydrate for several days leading up to the race. 

Yes other than

Just found this https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1520/67032/Klim-Fuel-Pak

10 hours ago, Hondaracer1318 said:

don't buy camelbak. they support the closer of riding areas and trails

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hondaracer1318 said:

Seriously?????

Yes. They support the Sierra Club and are in general anti motorized off-roading...That's why I have a USWE waterpack. Last time i bought Camelback was 2002

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Hondaracer1318 said:

I like the uswe but it's a little expensive for my taste. But I do like the straps

You'll be wearing it for several years, i'm pretty sure you'll forget about the $0.36/month extra for the USWE...

• Like 2

You'll be wearing it for several years, i'm pretty sure you'll forget about the $0.36/month extra for the USWE...

Is it really that much better? I would love to have the comfort on my shoulders and not the constant pulling.

Just now, Hondaracer1318 said:

Is it really that much better? I would love to have the comfort on my shoulders and not the constant pulling.

You just answered your question lol

I used mine for the first time this past weekend, and couldn't feel it on my back. No jiggling around, no straps getting caught on bodywork, and one latch to release it.

You just answered your question lol
I used mine for the first time this past weekend, and couldn't feel it on my back. No jiggling around, no straps getting caught on bodywork, and one latch to release it.

Sounds good thanks.

I found that if I put cold, or ice-water, that I drink it up too fast, before race is half over.  Not cold, then it lasts longer.

20 hours ago, Hondaracer1318 said:

Amazon - I found a great waterpack for under $20. Or Walmart.

I use hammer nutrition supplements in my water pack.  I like the Endurolytes Fizz tablets for cramp prevention and that is all I do for racing anymore.  They are sold at REI.  Also, the water you carry is not going to help much for hydration.  You need to be drinking a gallon or more a day for at least the two days before the race.  Once you are racing, it's too late to hydrate.

• Like 1