Sign in to follow this  

Are there performance pipes made that are State Forest legal or can they be made that way? I want to do it right and avoid a hassle.

I read all kinds of posts about "opening up" new bikes to get more performance from them.  I have a stock 2013 Honda CRF250X that I ride where ever I can.  Sometimes that is in State Forests.  I've seen guys getting checked out by Rangers and I assume it is about their bikes, most obviously 2 stroke MX bikes.  The Forest Service requires a spark arrestor.  I would like to open mine up but still be able to ride legally.  Are their aftermarket performance pipe that are SF legal?  Thanks! 

Edited by Benski
rewording

FMF pipes for your bike are legal and have a spark arrestor.

• Like 1

Any major exhaust manufacturer will have a spark arrestor option for their mufflers. FMF and procircuit are the two big ones in the US, but Yosh, Akraprovic (sp?), and many others are good options too.

3 hours ago, woods-rider said:

Any major exhaust manufacturer will have a spark arrestor option for their mufflers. FMF and procircuit are the two big ones in the US, but Yosh, Akraprovic (sp?), and many others are good options too.

Thank you!  I didn't know that. 

Lexx on my 250x. I did get the bigger sized spark cap, if you use the one it comes with you might as well just run the stock pipe. FWIW the stock x pipe looks big heavy made of stainless, but they surprisingly don't weigh that much.

Now did you guys notice a big difference with the new pipe and I assume adjusted jetting?  Was the money spent worth what you got out of the change?  Would this be your first recommendation for a performance upgrade?

• Like 1

On 5/12/2017 at 10:56 PM, Benski said:

Now did you guys notice a big difference with the new pipe and I assume adjusted jetting?  Was the money spent worth what you got out of the change?  Would this be your first recommendation for a performance upgrade?

There is definitely increase in performance out of my 250x with the fmf powercore 4 installed and airbox opened. Most likely you will need to rejet. But this is also one of the best things to do to a 250x. All bog was removed from my bike and just wheelies when you twist the throttle. Absolutely recommend new pipe/jd jet kit!

I'm not typically an aftermarket pipe guy. I prefer stock exhaust. However the crf250x is my exception. I bough the bike with the dr D's exhaust and the PO also gave me the stock. I put the stock exhaust back on and although it was quiet, the bike lacked the power and snappiness that I once had. So back on with the durbach exhaust system. If I can pass tech at the rides I attend (96db) I do not have no use for the stock exhaust any longer, (I'll let you know the sound level this weekend) I also believe the PO jetted the carb to match the pipe. So yes I think this is a worth while mod for these bikes.

• Like 1