hey guys, I'm new to the world of bikes and my uncle has experience with bikes and showed me a few simple things like brake pads and bleeding my brake lines, i just bought my first bike a 2006 rm125. first time i went to ride we started it up and went to put it in first gear, slammed first gear and stalled. figured out if i rev while putting it in gear it goes in fine with a little lurch (no problem just getting my bearings riding the bike for now).clutch plates are brand new, swapped in a new clutch cable hoping that was the only issue. so with a brand new cable I'm still having this problem it seems as though the fitment is off. i was wondering if anyone has an opinions on what might be wrong, i was told something might be missing on the inside (from when previous owner replaced clutch) because the arm that holds the clutch inside the engine (no idea the name of it) could be a little bit lower so that it engages sooner and better. again like i said i apologize I'm a newb with all this and just looking for opinions on what may be wrong. my question is, why wont a clutch cable made for my bike not fit right? could i be missing an internal component causing issues? and should i just go with a whole new clutch kit?

Edited by mxrook

I am not sure if I understand the question exactly, but it sounds like you clutch cable is too loose and not fully disengaging.  On some bikes, there are adjustment threads where the cable meets the engine case, in addition to the threads on the lever. You would probably want to turn this so it makes the cable housing longer.  Some bikes have a threaded section in the middle of the cable instead.

13 minutes ago, Still Bill said:

I am not sure if I understand the question exactly, but it sounds like you clutch cable is too loose and not fully disengaging.  On some bikes, there are adjustment threads where the cable meets the engine case, in addition to the threads on the lever. You would probably want to turn this so it makes the cable housing longer.  Some bikes have a threaded section in the middle of the cable instead.

sorry, thoughts were all over the place. the threaded sections up nears the bars is on the last threads. the cable is as long as possible. my question is more or so, could there be a missing part causing the cable fitment to be off? or could it just need an entire clutch replacement.

I not totally familiar with this bike but I would think if something was missing it would be to long. Is the cable ran correctly? Is the arm on the case adjustable and maybe installed in the wrong spot, my son's rm85 is splined and can be put on in different spots.

Like I was saying, some have an adjustment at bottom end in addition to at lever.  Like photo below.  Does yours?

s-l1000.jpg

smoking 2's I'm like 97% sure the cable is ran correctly, my uncle helped me out and he knows his way around bikes. the arm doesn't seem to be adjustable, it moves up and down obviously to engage and disengage, and it has another piece down at the end of the arm that can swing either in toward the engine or out but it doesn't stay in place. that's the issue we've run into. he believes that the arm should be in a different position, but not sure about it. thank you for the input by the way I appreciate it.

Edited by mxrook

3 minutes ago, Still Bill said:

Like I was saying, some have an adjustment at bottom end in addition to at lever.  Like photo below.  Does yours?

s-l1000.jpg

I don't have the adjustment down near the case my adjustment is up near the handlebar

Without being there it's very hard to judge, I would Google clutch diagrams or maybe find a YouTube video on your bike

I had this same issue when I purchased a used 2005 Rm250 two years ago. The original clutch cable was stretched and all out of adjustment. I ordered an aftermarket cable from Motosport.com. I cant remember the brand but when I put it on the cable was too long. I adjusted all the slack out and the adjuster was on the last thread and it was still too loose. I thought maybe it needed new clutch plates so I replaced those and that didn't help at all. So I loaded up the bike and took it to the Suzuki shop thinking something was else was wrong. First thing they said to try was installing a factory "Suzuki" cable. Luckily that worked. Thats all it took. Also something to be aware of with the Rm250, in 2005 there are 4 different part numbers for clutch cables. Maybe that's the case with your 125, you just ordered the wrong cable.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fxbrry said:

I had this same issue when I purchased a used 2005 Rm250 two years ago. The original clutch cable was stretched and all out of adjustment. I ordered an aftermarket cable from Motosport.com. I cant remember the brand but when I put it on the cable was too long. I adjusted all the slack out and the adjuster was on the last thread and it was still too loose. I thought maybe it needed new clutch plates so I replaced those and that didn't help at all. So I loaded up the bike and took it to the Suzuki shop thinking something was else was wrong. First thing they said to try was installing a factory "Suzuki" cable. Luckily that worked. Thats all it took. Also something to be aware of with the Rm250, in 2005 there are 4 different part numbers for clutch cables. Maybe that's the case with your 125, you just ordered the wrong cable.  

I will bring it by my local shop and see what they have to say thank you so much I appreciate it!!

Do us a favor and report back the problem, we all offer alot of thoughts and rarely hear the definite problem back, thanks

16 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

Do us a favor and report back the problem, we all offer alot of thoughts and rarely hear the definite problem back, thanks

for sure, ill definitely let you guys know thank you!

The perch where your clutch cable attaches into the engine will be loose and move about when there is no cable attached to it. If the previous owner mentioned something may be wrong or missing then theres a possibility this is the case...I guess this perch could be the wrong one for the bike or another internal component but without lookingat it then it's impossible to say. You can't really put the perch in the wrong way...if the cable fits then it's in properly. I'm sure your local shop will help you and yeah, keep us updated!

Your bike is missing the little ball between the push rod and the pressure plate actuator.  Look up an OEM systematic and you will see all the parts.  Lets not rev it up and stomp it in gear anymore.  You will be knocking out a set of transmission gears.

8 hours ago, Padgett said:

Your bike is missing the little ball between the push rod and the pressure plate actuator.  Look up an OEM systematic and you will see all the parts.  Lets not rev it up and stomp it in gear anymore.  You will be knocking out a set of transmission gears.

When you say ball do you mean a ball bearing? I tried looking up the factory clutch assembly and didn't seem to find any ball in the diagrams.

On 5/12/2017 at 3:06 PM, Padgett said:

Do you mean part 18 or 19 on this schematic?IMG_1918.thumb.PNG.80170d9a614a32a0bf5f9c6c686769c4.PNG

Back in 90's they used a ball on the end of 14 but don't they've done that for awhile but I'm not familiar with every year or model

4 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

Back in 90's they used a ball on the end of 14 but don't they've done that for awhile but I'm not familiar with every year or model

I have an 07 RM250 and there's no ball bearing in that. 19 is the seal and 18 looks like the bushing for the clutch actuator (16).

8 minutes ago, AE448 said:

I have an 07 RM250 and there's no ball bearing in that. 19 is the seal and 18 looks like the bushing for the clutch actuator (16).

What part were you referring to that I could be missing then I'm confused 

Only way anyone here will know if anything is missing is if you pull it apart and lay everything in the order the way you found it and take a picture. Any thing missing will be a problem!