Do you always change chain/rear sprocket?

Years ago I was told to change both together or they will be toast in no time, I've always done it so not sure if it's true. My oring chain is beyond old and beaten, do I need to change both or only chain, the sprocket looks really good!

I only change the rear, but have you ever not and ran into problems by not doing so... thanks

Depends on if the chain has worn or not.  If it hasn't begun to stretch the center to center distance between links has not changed and it will pull the whole sprocket under load.  If it has stretched it will transmit power through fewer and fewer teeth on the sprocket which causes the accelerated wear.

Running a good oring chain you can often go through a few countershaft sprockets and maybe one rear before the chain wears at all.

• Like 4

I've always ran aluminum on rear and have seen them start to curl a bit when wore out but mine is absolutely perfect looking as far as shape goes, front is also perfect, I've hit one notch before having to break links to get adjustment

Seems like chains last a long time for me.  Much longer than sprockets, even steel ones.  I replace parts as needed and pretty much ignore old school advice even though I'm old.  Ha, ha.  I do use good EK or DID o-ring chains and I maintain them.

• Like 1

I'm old mostly also, just hit 43 recently, been following this advice for 20 years that I remember but never heard or asked why just did it! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

It's more important not to use a worn chain with good sprockets. The worn chain won't ride at the correct pitch line, instead riding higher on the addendum of the tooth causing the premature wear.

Makes sense!

Looks like lots of sprocket/chain topics :)

Take a picture of both your current front/rear sprockets and post them.

One of the tests is when you put on a new drive train and its adjusted, try pulling the chain away from the back of the rear sprocket, then compare it to your current drive train.

When my sprockets start look this, I'm replacing the whole drive train.

maxresdefault.jpg

KYPyWWS.jpg.49386d3de876cf367047be4c0add5b9a.jpg

• Like 3

Ya I was going back in my log book and I think I put on my last full drive train on October 2015 BUT I know I'm do pretty soon.

My front sprocket is still not hooked but the rear is starting to a bit. This is what I mean about pulling the chain from the rear sprocket which is an good indicator that the chain needs replacing (and sprockets)

Bikes still dirty after Sundays ride in the PNW :)

20170510_175900.thumb.jpg.8fe086ecc714421220bd95c24d3d9f51.jpg

20170510_180010.thumb.jpg.6e0d7a8dcca98d546a82e55ea7da4389.jpg

I'm guessing the guys riding in alot of mud or sand wear sprockets first.

I've found with my terrain the chain wears (stretches for some) first, and causes the sprockets to wear.

Even more true for street bikes.

Assuming components of equal quality.

I replace everything at once.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

IMG_20170510_205009720.jpg

IMG_20170510_204957537.jpg

Both of those need to be replaced!  Are those the ones you said "look really good"?

When I need to replace the chain I replace both sprockets as well. Iv always done it that way and never had an issue. I use a steel rear sprocket because I'd rather have a longer lasting sprocket than saving 1 pound.

I replace 2-3 fronts per chain.  High quality o-ring chain (Renthol R3-2). As soon as I see signs of hooking I replace.  The renthol steel rear will last me 2 chains.  I run real low gearing (12/53) and ride a lot of mud.

I remember one time in a group ride I had let it go way too long and stripped the teeth off a front sprocket on a steep hill climb.  Worst feeling ever..  Once I got back to flat ground the nubbs were good enough to get me to the truck as long as I babied it real gentle.