2017 CRF 50 Air Screw?

Just purchased a 2017 CRF 50.  Seems to have a slight lean hesitation when adding power.  I don't see a air screw.  All I can find is the idle screw and a brass plug in the place of where an air screw would normally be.  Any Ideas on how I can adjust this carb?  I slid a torx driver in the brass plug and it does rotate.  Hopefully I didn't screw it up too bad.

Any info is much appreciated.

Unless they've changed it in the last couple of years, the brass cap you are referring to is actually the air/fuel adjusting screw. It has a "D" shaped head that requires a special tool to adjust. A lot of guys simply cut a slot in the screw to use a screwdriver. Post a picture of the "cap" and we should be able to confirm that's what you have.

• Like 1

Apparently on the new bikes the d shaped screw is covered by a brass plug.  The dealer told be to drill a small hole in the plug to remove it, which i did.  Do they sell an aftermarket air screw with a standard slotted head?

Thanks again for your help.

You can order a replacement air screw and spring ( part #16016-GEL-701) for an '03 XR50 and it should work for you.

On 5/11/2017 at 6:33 PM, 300Braaap said:

Thanks for the part number.

Nothing like bumping a 3 year old thread.

that said, i just pulled my sons 2000 xr 50 carb for a through cleaning after his first ride on it.  We just purchased it for him.  He is the last of my small riders (age 5).  The other 4 are all on larger 2 strokes.

anyway......

The A/F screw on this bike doesn't have a spring.  Manual says it should.  I have ordered a replacement; but like everything else now a days its like 2 weeks out.  Any idea how the bike will perform upon reassembly without the A/F spring, until it arrives?

It'll probably vibrate out and you'll lose it, hence the use of the spring, which is there for two reasons - to hold the setting you want, and to hold it in place so you don't lose it.

1 hour ago, dirtbkr188 said:

It'll probably vibrate out and you'll lose it, hence the use of the spring, which is there for two reasons - to hold the setting you want, and to hold it in place so you don't lose it.

ya, i get that.  I guess it would relatively no effect on performance (unless, like you point out, it moves during use).  the odd thing is.  it was rid'n for about 6 hours prior to me pulling the carb.  unscrewed the a/f screw - no spring.  Seems to have held without it.