Chain Guide's ...

What are you guys running for A lower chain guide? I just got in an Outlaw red ano one from ebay for my 230, total waste of money. I just couldn't see paying over 70 bucks for a TM Designs one so opted out cheap on this one for 35 bucks, doesn't fit worth a damn no matter how I shim or beat on it. It's actually about 5 mm narrower, inside width, then the stock one and rubs, as you can see from the pic it's already eating the color off along the inside, spent over an hour messing with this thing, so disappointed that I'm just gonna put my stock one back on.

slider 1.png

I haven't either but it's just so "Blah" you know, just wanting something a little more custom looking. I've kinda been buying every little trick anodized piece I can find for this one just to dress it up a bit. I looks much cooler then the stocker but just wish it was a little better fit.

I whacked the stock guide coming down rocks. The guide broke loose and rotated all the way around the rear sprocket. Front insert was ripped out and the rear bolt sacrificed itself. Was glad to have complete hardware kit at camp.

Except for the front mount being torn, it went right back on and seems fully functional. Did its job. But I am curious if anyone has had good results with aftermarkets which are not too expensive.

Yes I went up and cut the tree first. Hard enough without decapitation.

Rocks.jpg

Guide.jpg

Edited by RedMesa
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RedMesa said:

I whacked the stock guide coming down rocks. The guide broke loose and rotated all the way around the rear sprocket. Front insert was ripped out and the rear bolt sacrificed itself. Was glad to have complete hardware kit at camp.

Except for the front mount being torn, it went right back on and seems fully functional. Did its job. But I am curious if anyone has had good results with aftermarkets which are not too expensive.

Yes I went up and cut the tree first. Hard enough without decapitation.

Rocks.jpg

Guide.jpg

Dang!  That's impressive!  Lol.

I have actually had several issues that I'm 99% sure are the result of the stock chain guide, and thus I, too, am in the market for something decent, assuming I don't just make something myself.

It's a little hard to describe what happens, but it always occurs after I hit something in the rear area of the bike on a rock on the left side of the bike.  This is where the 99% comes in:  it could be the sprocket/chain that's doing the hitting, but I'm 99% sure that it's the chain guide.  And my theory is that it deflects over towards the center of the tire, causing the chain to come off the sprocket on the inside side.

Well, this is when the real $hit happens.  Since this 'event' inevitably occurs when I'm hard on the power (usually a hill climb), the motor becomes unloaded and able to speed up in rpm very quickly.  It does this more quickly than the chain on the bottom side of the counter sprocket can get out of the way, and the chain doubles back and binds itself up between the back of the counter sprocket and the front of the swing arm.  

This thread has a picture of exactly what it looks like:  

This is my working theory, at the moment.  I can't think of much else that could cause it.  It always happens immediately following a large impact of some sort in the rear end on a rock, and yes, the chain is properly tightened.  It has now happened 3 times, and each time we were able to get it pried back out with a large, sturdy tree branch, but it's a major pain in the butt each time it happens.

Coincidentally, it also happened to one of my friends when we went riding in Moab last year (we were all on 230s then, too).  

22 minutes ago, sneaky98gt said:

It's a little hard to describe what happens, but it always occurs after I hit something in the rear area of the bike on a rock on the left side of the bike.  This is where the 99% comes in:  it could be the sprocket/chain that's doing the hitting, but I'm 99% sure that it's the chain guide.  And my theory is that it deflects over towards the center of the tire, causing the chain to come off the sprocket on the inside side.

My swingarm is off at the moment and I can deflect the guide 5 mm towards the inside with hand pressure. Seems like 10 mm under heavy impact would be possible without breaking the guide. That could be enough to take the chain off.

I'm pretty sure an aluminum guide would not flex this much. I looked on RAMC, CrfsOnly, and other sites and am not seeing anything specifically for the CRF230F. May have missed something of course.

Might be possible to modify a TM 

http://tmdesignworks.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

or similar plastic guide that is tougher. I would lean more towards the Fredette guide that I had on my KLX250S which was beefy aluminum:

http://www.frpoffroad.com/fredette-racing-products-frp-chain-guide-detail.htm?productid=-153652

Seems like one of the CRF race bikes could be close enough for some mods to fit the CRF230F.

BTW, my chain was at the loose end of the acceptable range which is probably the only reason my guide traveled all the way around the rear sprocket instact.

Edited by RedMesa

After tearing two factory ones up by leaning over in a deep rut and bending it over thus rolling chain off of sprocket and wadding up chain around front sprocket I built my own. Then I polished it to make it look pretty. Two rides later not polished any more. So I built another one and anodized it gold. I used the factory lower wear block and cut the top block out of HDPE plastic. Been working for about three or four years now, no more problems.IMG_2018.jpg

• Like 4

Nice to see some updates!

Ironically, in my last post, I mentioned that we'd always been able to trail-side fix it via prying with a large tree limb or similar.

Well, a few rides back, it happened again, and this time, we couldn't get it pried back out.  Luck was on my side, though, as the master-link was readily available to take the chain off the rear sprocket, and we were pretty much at the top of the trail from the parking lot.  So I was able to zip-tie the chain out of the way, and push/coast the bike back to the parking lot.

I had to actually take the swingarm off in order to get it unbound.  Yikes.

I immediately ordered a 14 tooth counter sprocket, and have not had any issues yet with it installed.  As much tighter as the clearance is between the sprocket and swingarm, I can't possibly imagine the chain actually making it up in there like that again.  So, (fingers crossed) this will fix the problem.  Haven't had an issue in about 5 rides so far.

I was adjusting the chain and did a double-take... the master link did not look right.

Never had this happen before. With an X-ring chain I don't carry a link press so if the link had come out it would have left me stranded or worse.

Yet another item to add to the checklist... wonder how long it was like that

Master Link broken.jpg