Hi, I have an issue with my RM 85...

I bought it a couple months ago and am having a problem. For the most part my bike will run just fine. But once in awhile I will let off the throttle and the rpms will hang for a few seconds then drop back down. I know for a fact my bike is running pretty rich so it definitely isn't a lean condition. I know it isn't just me whiskey throttling because I will completely let off and it will still hang for a couple of seconds. This may be a carburetor problem or cable problem I don't know. I turned the handlebars both ways and I don't hear the rpms go up. Please help me because I have no idea what it truly is. And just to restate, it will only do this very rarely, like once a ride but it usually is fine. Thank you for any help. 

Disassembly your throttle tube and clean it up and try relubing your throttle cable it's probably just dirty and gumed up

Well... my throttle snaps right back into place when i let off of it. It isn't sticking so i don't think its that.

Its not a throttle problem, its a jetting / adjustment problem in the carb.  Google "hanging idle".

The hanging idle scenario is possible, but the OP should still fully inspect the throttle tube and cable before going much deeper. There could easily be a burr in the cable or something fouling the action of the tube. Could also be a simple as a couple of grains of sand jamming the slide, or a worn spot on the slide or slide tube part of the carb.

• Like 1