Helmets, what brands and why?

At the risk of starting another oil war, what kind and brand of helmets do you guys and gals favor?  My last motorcycle helmet was a polycarbonet open face helmet which was suitable for the trials riding that I was doing at the time.  Now I want to do more general trail riding and I think I need a better helmet.  Any suggestions?

• Like 1

At the risk of starting another oil war, what kind and brand of helmets do you guys and gals favor?  My last motorcycle helmet was a polycarbonet open face helmet which was suitable for the trials riding that I was doing at the time.  Now I want to do more general trail riding and I think I need a better helmet.  Any suggestions?

Anything certified, light, and breathable. Go look at some and try them on.
  • Like 1

The YouTube channel endurocross training has a video on choosing a helmet.[emoji106]
  • Like 1

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to Helmets, what brands and why?

Most important IMO is snell rating. Then its whatever snell rated helmet fits your noggin the best. The more expensive helmets typically are just lighter, breather better and have a better field of view. There are some that have additional safety features as well but you're really paying for the other stuff I just mentioned. Go try a bunch of helmets on 

• Like 2

There are some obvious things like a certification (DOT cert in the US must just be based on it being advertised as a helmet.)  Then fit.  Brand means very little to me anymore. Buy one you can afford to replace as soon as it takes 'real' hit,  or the lining is worn.  I buy on the light side due to a neck injury from way back.  HJC and some of the lower priced helmets have come a long way in fit and comfort,  and weight.  Last fall I bought a Fly on sale,  as it fit and was on the lighter end of things,   even though I had one I was happy with that still hasn't taken a hit.  

My comment on the brands is due to some helmets such as Bell being traded on ownership and country of origin so much that they are not really recognizable anymore.  Bell used to be my choice due to fit and known quality.  They are not the only brand that has been swapped around.  

Tld supposedly makes the safest helmet. I wouldn't buy anything without "mips". 

Anyone see the Jordan smith crash last weekend? Troy lee spent a ton of time and money on r&d for that helmet, testing specifically for motocross.. 

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2017 at 10:40 AM, ossagp said:

There are some obvious things like a certification (DOT cert in the US must just be based on it being advertised as a helmet. )  Then fit.  Brand means very little to me anymore. Buy one you can afford to replace as soon as it takes 'real' hit,  or the lining is worn.  I buy on the light side due to a neck injury from way back.  HJC and some of the lower priced helmets have come a long way in fit and comfort,  and weight.  Last fall I bought a Fly on sale,  as it fit and was on the lighter end of things,   even though I had one I was happy with that still hasn't taken a hit.  

My comment on the brands is due to some helmets such as Bell being traded on ownership and country of origin so much that they are not really recognizable anymore.  Bell used to be my choice due to fit and known quality.  They are not the only brand that has been swapped around.  

Bell is still headquartered in IL, but the mc helmets are made overseas.  I think the bicycle helmets are made here.

I have a fly f2 Carbon with mips. I did a ton of research and it came down to that, the v3, the bell Moto 9/flex if you want to spend that much (regular 9 is insanely heavy can't say anything for the flex), and Leatt 5.5. The se4 wasn't out yet but if I had to do it again I would try one on. It all comes down to how it fits you. I had pressure points with the v3 and Leatt but the bell and fly fit my head fine.

• Like 1