wr450 Crankshaft stuck in the left crankcase half

Hi,

I am trying to replace the counter balancer shaft in my 2011 wr 450. Everything has been fine until I got to splitting the crankcase. The manual says that I should remove the right CC half (as I understand this is the one with clutch) first and transmission and crankshaft should stay in the left half. Well, the opposite happened in my case :)

I did remove the right CC half but the transmission and the crankshaft stayed in and I lifted them up with it. It looks like the crankshaft is stuck in the right CC half - I tried to pull it out with my hands but It doesn't want to move (for now I avoided using a mallet - will it damage the bearing?). This worries me a little cause the manual says that it should practically slide out without any problems and in the current situation I cannot remove the counter balancer shaft cause the crankshaft is in its way.

If anyone could help me with the following doubts that would be great :)

1. How can I remove the crankshaft from the right CC half without damaging the bearing? Is it possible at all in my case?

2. Is it normal that the crankshaft is stuck in the right CC half and slides out the other side easily? Or does it mean that something is wrong? Manual says that I have to use a special tool to put the crankshaft in the left CC half but in my case it goes in without any problems. It is not loose and there is no free play, though. Just goes in without too much force.

3. Once I am done. How do I install the crankshaft in the right CC half when it doesn't go in easily?

I will appreciate any help here.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by peteroo

Since no one else replied so far, I'll add my 2 cents.

It's been years since I split a case and that was a two stroke.  That being said, I when I need to do my 4 stroke I know you need the tools to do it right (and way less headache) when you split cases.  Are you changing the crank?  What exactly are you changing?  I had just changed the connecting rod out on my crank (In 1990), but seems easier now to just get a whole new crank. 

I have been told that it's one of those rules where if you split a case, you change main bearings.. Like if you pull an oil pan of a car, you change the oil pump. (Change your oil pump if you got the case apart too)

Here's a link to the type of tools you need to install crank and split the case:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-Crank-Case-Splitter-Separator-And-Crank-Puller-Installer-Tool-Dirt-Bike-/181692690763?hash=item2a4dba714b:g:MPEAAOSwRLZT-gp-

A bearing installer would also be good, but people seem to have luck with heating the case and dropping the bearings in after they have been in the freezer.

Edited by mch

I am trying to replace the counter balancer shaft. In 2011 WR 450 you have to split the crankcase to do that (I know there is a trick to avoid that but I thought I would do it by the book :))

From the research that I did it looked like I should have been fine without the crankcase splitter since the crankshaft should stay in the left CC half (and slide out easily from the other) and then it should be possible to remove the counter balancer shaft. But in my case the crankshaft stayed in the right CC half and went out of the other easily. Now it is in the way of the counter balancer shaft and it looks like I will have to remove it somehow.

The tools I linked are what you need.  It will nicely take the crank out of the side it's stuck in, and the installer will make it so you aren't having to mallet your cases back together.  If I had my cases apart, I would also take the opportunity to change the main bearings and oil pump. 

warm the case,  heat gun or propane torch.  even a hair dryer and patience will do it.  I have the "presses',  just prefer not to force steel in and out of aluminum.   One more thing,  I don't reuse main bearings.

Thank you for your help. The crankshaft needed a few delicate mallet taps and it went out. 

I will replace the main bearings just to be sure. Won't do any harm and since I have it all disassembled anyways...

Out of curiosity - is it ok if main bearings have a little left - right free play when I push on the inner race (cc halves positioned as if they were in the frame)? Or should there be no movement at all?

Edited by peteroo

I have a similar job ahead of me and ordered the special puller/installers.  I checked the new bearings, and there is very little play side to side, I mean very little as just able to tell a little movement like one would expect with new bearings, just normal manufacturing clearances.  I'd say definitely replace them if you have it apart.  Freeze the bearings and heat the cases only until water starts to steam off (saw that on a video) meaning they'll be just over 200 degrees F.  A little oil on the outer bearing or the case and hopefully they'll go in with little or no pressure.

From what you're saying, raYzerman it seems that my old main bearings are fine, but I agree that there is no point in keeping them since I have everything disassembled. Plus, I checked other bearings and one from every pair (counter balancer, gear drum, main axle, drive axle) is either hard to move or has rough spots. That probably means that main ones will probably need replacing soon as well :)

The only thing that worries me is that my bike has only 13000km on the clock....seems a bit early for bearings to be failing in my opinion.

6 hours ago, peteroo said:

From what you're saying, raYzerman it seems that my old main bearings are fine, but I agree that there is no point in keeping them since I have everything disassembled. Plus, I checked other bearings and one from every pair (counter balancer, gear drum, main axle, drive axle) is either hard to move or has rough spots. That probably means that main ones will probably need replacing soon as well :)

The only thing that worries me is that my bike has only 13000km on the clock....seems a bit early for bearings to be failing in my opinion.

They may just be a little tight when cold. It's possible when they heat up with the motor temp the loosen up. 

But you usually replace what doesn't feel right when it is apart.