Rattling noise coming from engine

Okay so I have a 2008 KX250F its making a rattling noise from the engine, left side. It doesn't do it right when it starts up but as it warms up it gets louder and louder. I can't hear it over the exhaust when I rev it though so I'm not sure if it stops when I rev or it just simply isnt loud enough for me to hear. I recently took my bike to ridenow and they suspect its the cam chain or the tensioner however I didn't have the money for the to check it out so now I have it back at home. I took off the cylinder head cover today and checked the cam chain to see if it was loose, its in spec. However I'm not sure what I would be looking for in the tensioner to see if its bad or not so I didn't mess with that. If you guys could give me some input on anything else it'd might be and what I would be looking for when looking at tensioner that'd be greatly appreciated, thanks. 

Edited by Robert2496

You wouldn't be looking at the tensioner, directly, you'd be looking at the chain tension it's giving by lifting the chain and measuring.
Next to feeling it with your fingers to see if it obviously damaged.