2006-2015 Axle shaft and nut

Just got a 2015 which appears to be in pretty good shape. Original tire ! So says the original owner. Upon closer review today to attempt replacing sprockets and chain I noticed that the wonderful Aluminum Axle nut threads were completely gone. How it stayed on from riding around the parking lot I don't know. 

the only part numbers I see ( 41068-1466 ) from 2004 (250's) to 2013 -450's are All the same. 

The 2014 and 2015 I suspect just wasn't available at the time it was posted. 

You'd think that if Kawasaki was saving time work and money keeping it simple that the dimensions would still be the same , right? After all who wants an aluminum nut ? The older ones are just as hard as the axle. Thoughts? Thanks 

btw thanks to the hack in Denver Colorado that either let his kids work on it or is just a fool. Said he changed oil too. Lies. Thank God the motor is obviously too complicated for him to screw up. 

A 2013 axle takes a castle nut and cotter pin while a 2015 axle uses a self-locking nut (the axle doesn't have holes drilled for a cotter pin, which is why the PNs are different). Both have M22-1.5 threads.

The swingarm and axle blocks share the same PNs between those model years so it's safe to assume the axles are interchangeable.

Lastly, at the 81 lb*ft of torque required for the axle nut, there's no way it would be made of aluminum.

You'll find 2015 rear axle PNs here

• Like 1

Thank you for the wealth of info. very much appreciate. I'll see if I can't post a pic of the nut. It's light as a feather. In the name of performance, aye ? Pretty sure I know what aluminum is. Threads on shaft are fine. My sprocket is aluminum ?

I'll be getting a good old one with a nice heavy nut and cotter pin

Well Mario I apologize. It is a grade 5 steel nut. It just looks so much like a cheap alloy though. The way the nut was ground into the threads looked reminiscent of the weakness and sometimes vulnerability of aluminum. 

Anyhow I think you and I are the only guys in the country that know an 06 axle will fit a 15. ?

My hats offer to you, oh knowledgeable one. Thanks again 

• Like 1