Jump to content

2016 KTM 250sxf knocking sound(video)

Recommended Posts

Hey guys so for starters I haven't owned a dirt bike in almost 4 years. I bought a brand new 2016 KTM 250sxf a couple of months ago. First KTM I've ever owned, only owned a 09 CRF250R. Love the bike so far. However when the engine is on I've noticed almost a knocking sound. You can kind of hear it on the video I have linked. Bike only has about 5 hours of use. Changed oil at 3 hours with Motorex 10w50. Is the sound normal and nothing to worry about or something of concern? Sorry for the newb question I just can't remember if its normal or not. When I pull the clutch it gets a little more muffled, but no real big difference. 

 

Edited by Tony477g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the noise go away with the clutch in ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mog said:

Does the noise go away with the clutch in ?

No, still there but it gets a little more muffled, someone told me it's the cam chain tensioner, but they didn't specify if it was normal or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does sound like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mog said:

It does sound like that

Are you saying it's supposed to sound like that?

1 hour ago, Dirtshark808 said:

Ya that does not sound normal at all I would stop running the bike and check the cam chain.

How would I go about doing that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to remove the seat,gas tank and then the valve cover. Maybe your cam chain tensioner is just lose so you might just need to tighten it. But my 250sxf does not sound like that. If your not very mechanical I would give it to a shop to diagnose the issue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dirtshark808 said:

You need to remove the seat,gas tank and then the valve cover. Maybe your cam chain tensioner is just lose so you might just need to tighten it. But my 250sxf does not sound like that. If your not very mechanical I would give it to a shop to diagnose the issue.

what year is your bike?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully its nothing, i emailed the dealership i bought the bike from emails me back, just hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tony477g said:

Hey guys so for starters I haven't owned a dirt bike in almost 4 years. I bought a brand new 2016 KTM 250sxf a couple of months ago. First KTM I've ever owned, only owned a 09 CRF250R. Love the bike so far. However when the engine is on I've noticed almost a knocking sound. You can kind of hear it on the video I have linked. Bike only has about 5 hours of use. Changed oil at 3 hours with Motorex 10w50. Is the sound normal and nothing to worry about or something of concern? Sorry for the newb question I just can't remember if its normal or not. When I pull the clutch it gets a little more muffled, but no real big difference. 

 

Lol that is your cam chain tensioner dude, it's ticking because it's letting go to much slack in the chain so it rattles, either re tune it or get a manual tensioner. The bike isn't going to blow up and you can still ride but you should take care of it. The auto cam chain tensioner KTM puts in them are junk.

 

 

cheers

Edited by TomTopDog12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TomTopDog12 said:

Lol that is your cam chain tensioner dude, it's ticking because it's letting go to much slack in the chain so it rattles, either re tune it or get a manual tensioner. The bike isn't going to blow up and you can still ride but you should take care of it. The auto cam chain tensioner KTM puts in them are junk.

 

 

cheers

Ya I'm pretty dumb when it comes to these 4 strokes haha so what should I do next is there an aftermarket part you recommend or what should be my next move

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend the nhilo manual cam chain tensioner though if your not very mechanical I would have a mechanic install it. It also allows better oil flow to your cams. I have it on my bike.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
if it changes when he pulls in the clutch how is it cam chain related?


All ktms will get a little quiet when you pull the clutch in. But anyone who has heard a 250sxf engine run can tell that his defenitly does not sound right. For how new of a bike it is I'm shocked it's making that sound. But you need to check the cam chain it's very simple to take the gas tank off and then the valve cover. Then see if your timing chain is tight and the timing is right.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Dirtshark808 said:

 


All ktms will get a little quiet when you pull the clutch in. But anyone who has heard a 250sxf engine run can tell that his defenitly does not sound right. For how new of a bike it is I'm shocked it's making that sound. But you need to check the cam chain it's very simple to take the gas tank off and then the valve cover. Then see if your timing chain is tight and the timing is right.

 

Exactly, it's not hard to put one in and the easiest thing you can do is check the slack, or lack of. And see if it's nice and taught. I'd still replace it regardless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nhilo one is a bit tricky it's still not hard but you need to punch out an passage and then block it. If you type it in Google and read about it you'll see it's kinda interesting but it's really worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So first step would be take off the valve cover. Is there a special tool I need to check the tension or is it just pull on the chain and make sure it's tight? Is there instructions on how to install the nhilo?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that's the part but first you need to remove your valve cover and see if your cam chain is the issue before you start ordering parts. Although the stock tensioner is not very good. Here are the instructions it seems harder then it is but if your not confident I would have a mechanic install it for you.

Screenshot_20170512-071442.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×