Switch from modern 250 4 stroke to "older" 125 2 stroke?

Hi.

Im looking for opinions from people who made a "trade" like this. Today I got a very nice 2016 fc250 with 30hrs and its a total blast in every way I can think off and it has enough power everywhere. 

I bought a fresh bike like this because I dont enjoy problems with 4 strokes and I wanted to compete and pretty much got the "best" that was available for me. However, plans change and without ambitions to compete I think its too much to have a 6k bike unless you are aiming for more, atleast with my budget. 

Im thinking off stepping back to a older yz125 2010-2015. You pretty much get 3 pistons for 1 and a whole top/bottom end rebuild for the cost of a rod on the 250. Even if things have to be changed earlier on a 125 its so much cheaper in the long run. How is it with clutches and other wear for a 190lbs rider?

Sure, Im in the position that I could put 60-70hrs on the bike, rebuild the top end at 100hrs but the value will drop and for a good rider its about time to check valves and crank at those intervals. 

Im well aware that it will be harder to ride the 125, even alot harder but as I dont care for competing maybe it doesnt matter. Ive owned a 250 2t and 250/350/450 thumpers and the 250 4t is the only one Im really confident on. Ive tried 250 2t (ktm 2013) but it was such a beast that I was scared on the track, not even funny as it could get dangerous very quickly. 

So, yeah. 125 might be the right 2 stroke even if I might miss out on some power but on the other hand I could keep the throttle open more..?

So anyone who has made the switch to a 125 for any kind of reason is more than welcome to tell me what you think. 

Maybe its stupid to make a switch when I got such a nice, but I just feel like I have to much money locked in a very fine bike when Im not very good at riding and no ambition to compete. 

It's a personal decision. I think 125s are too twitchy and a pain to ride. It's fun to rip one around, but at one point we had both of the bikes in question in our fleet. We swapped back and forth, raced them down the street, rode them on the track, then sold the 125.

I would move to a 2006+ YZ 250 or KTM 250SX first, you're going to be underpowered at 190lbs on a 125. 125's are fun bikes to Moto

28 minutes ago, FM1R said:

I would move to a 2006+ YZ 250 or KTM 250SX first, you're going to be underpowered at 190lbs on a 125. 125's are fun bikes to Moto

They are way too much. I owned a 2013 250sx and it was a monster. If I touched the throttle in a corner it would spin out, touched the gas on a jump and it tailed. I was downright scared riding it. We dont have big tracks like in the US, most tracks resemble a supercross track in size. On a whole track I think I revved it out once per lap, it wasnt fun. 

I really like this bike but value over time and the more costly rebuilds when "riding for the fun of it" putting me off. 

I know there is 125/150sx but the parts for those are almost as expensive as the 250f parts. 

Those YZ parts are on the other hand almost thrown at you. 

2 hours ago, Wessmen said:

They are way too much. I owned a 2013 250sx and it was a monster. If I touched the throttle in a corner it would spin out, touched the gas on a jump and it tailed. I was downright scared riding it. We dont have big tracks like in the US, most tracks resemble a supercross track in size. On a whole track I think I revved it out once per lap, it wasnt fun. 

I really like this bike but value over time and the more costly rebuilds when "riding for the fun of it" putting me off. 

I know there is 125/150sx but the parts for those are almost as expensive as the 250f parts. 

Those YZ parts are on the other hand almost thrown at you. 

You said that a 250 4t is the only bike you've felt confident on.. how much is that worth to you? If you're not going to be competing, you're not going to be as hard on the bike so you could stretch service intervals out further than if you were racing. TBH I really don't think that you're going to save that much money over a 2t that you're not going to enjoy as much. If you were racing competitively, I would say that you'd probably save money going to a 2t. But i'm assuming you're not going to be cranking out multiple race pace motos just beating the shit out of the bike every weekend while you're out there riding for fun? I have 9k tied up in my husky and I don't race. At the end of the day, riding is all about fun. What bike is going to get you the most fun for your dollar?

• Like 1

You need to ride a 125 to see if you like the all or nothing type power delivery​. 250's in my opinion are easier to ride.

A YZ250 with slightly retarded timing, torque pipe and a 9 oz flywheel weight would probably be right up your alley.

• Like 4

I would expect that you would be fanning the clutch quite a bit on a 125 at 190lbs. So you may find yourself doing more clutch maintenance than you would on a 250 - 4t or 2t.

It's a shame that an older 2502t is out of reach for you financially; it would probably provide the best of everything in terms of power, affordable maintenance, and general satisfaction.

It's not a big deal to detune a 250 2t, and keep in mind that as you get more comfortable on the 125 you will likely ride it harder and harder thereby shortening time between overhauls.

125s are a lot of fun, but they are best for jockeys and not larger types. A 250 2t will give you lots of room to grow.

• Like 1

Not sure where you live but 125's and 250 2 strokes are close to the same price out here. I've owned both a 125 2 stroke and a 250f. The 125 was so much more reliable, seriously I rode mine every single day and only changed the oil and air filter when I wanted to(I was a newb). Kept the bike for over a year and didn't see a single problem. The power delivery is a light switch, you have to be in the right gear. One thing are your tracks hard packed? If so you're going to be spinning out a lot on the 125. The 250f made me a  faster rider because I was able to get away with mistakes, if I wasn't in the right gear i didn't have much of a problem where as the 125 would just bog out. The 250f I maintained A LOT more. Every 5 hours air filter clean and swaps, every 10 hours oil changes. Never had a problem other than having to shim the valves. It comes down to personal preference. I had the option this last year of buying a 125, 150, or 250f. I chose another 250f. If you're set on a 2 stroke I'd say get a 250 2 stroke and tame it. Did you ever put a FWW in it? If you're scared of it I'd probably look at a 150

Thank you for the replies. 

De-tuning might be an option, need to find someone who has one at the track. Tracks are soft loamy dirt or hard pack, occasional big sand track as that was the only track I had fun on the 250 2t, its the size of "real outdoor tracks" but it only happen once in a while. 

Maybe youre right about abusing other parts on a 125. 

Main thing is the maintaince coming later on, it gets really expensive if you have to do lower end and/or new valves, but hopefully it takes my gentle riding very well.

I like the power on the 250f because I feel like Im always in control. On the other bikes it felt like I was just "on for the ride" and when I got tired mistakes could get very amplified. 

Maybe Im just derailed from watch those fast guys at the track who just pins the 125s, because I know thats not how I would ride it. :p

I'm going to throw another vote for a detuned 250 2 stroke. Take a yz250, shove a gnarly pipe, fww, retard the timing of you really want to tame it down.(I'd skip it personally). It'll last a long time like that.Or buy a Ktm 200

• Like 1

"older" lol 2010-2015 :lol:

The newest bike i have ever owned was an 05 125 and that was 6 years ago.

Right now it's a 91, i also have an 87, an 84, and a 74 :devil: . Sold my 92 and 03 recently 

Other than looks the yz125's are practically the same back till like 06- 07 and any used bike is going to need wrenched on so don't count them out, same goes for the yz250's.  Some good deals to be had.   

If you like the power characteristics of a 250f i am not so sure you would like a 125 2t, I think they are lots of fun in the right environment for sure but maybe a mid 2000's to newer ktm exc/xc 200-300 would be a better fit, would have more low end grunt and more smooth linear power, adjustable power valve.  

But probably just keep your current bike, keep up on maintenance and don't do stupid crap and it will last you a long time with out any major issues.  

Edited by subxero
  • Like 1

I've had 125 and 250 2t I liked my 125 but it didn't have much power down low. I sold it and moved on to a 250 2t I'm loving it and can handle it no problem I ride trails and am 125 pounds. Go for a 250 2t just don't get too throttle happy. Hope this helps.

Less maintenance on a 250 compared to a 125... just saying... You could go for a big bore 125. Make it a 167, you'll get a lot more off the bottom..

150sx. Hands down one of the best 2 strokes. It was the same size as my 250sx but much easier to manage

Im offroad not moto. I ride faster and techie terrain. 

I bought a 04 125sx as a second play bike . I was worried it would be horrible as my primary bike.  My very nice 03 cr250 began to sit so I sold both and bought a 16 tc 125 with a 150 kit. 

The small bikes have proven to be far more fun .  A 250f is a "better" bike for most people though. 

• Like 1

I would love too run a 125 for the weight aspect, my son is running a 85 2stroke vrs 110 4 stroke and having a ton of issues, I figure I'll change clutches out in a month because he's riding the crap out of them to keep rpm's up enough to carry up the small switch backs

You can read about 125s on here for WEEKS. Wide variety of opinions on them. I say you should get the 125 and ride it hard! If you don't like it, sell it and get the next thing. I'm a FAT guy who rides an off road 450X who likes to torque around on it but having recently got a GOOD 125 I have been enjoying it entirely! 

I ignored the 125 for years based on what I read here. :bonk:

• Like 1

Well well, a 150sx would be great but they are very rare in Sweden. Only seen 1 2016 for sale this year.

I was thinking about other brands as their parts are very cheap compared to KTM/Husqvarna OEM but I know OEM KTM are like "best of the best"-parts, but for lets say a Kawi you get 2 pistons for 1 on KTM and so on. But then I went into the sections here and saw bikes with less than 30hrs blowing up... Damn, I dont know.