TAT Choices

I'm thinking of riding the TAT.  Here are some details.  I live in FL, so I'd most likely trailer up and ride for a week or so at a time, although I'd love to do the entire trip.  If I could get away long enough for the whole trip I'd go BMW, but that is not likely. 

So, here my thoughts.  I am 6'2" and 210 lbs.  I do not want a schizophrenic motorcycle and something easy to work on and repair.  I do not know much about KTMs and they look complicated.. I'm not a KLR fan.  So I am leaning towards an 2017 XR650L.  It will require some mods for saddle bags, lights, skid plate, bigger tank ect. 

What are your thoughts on a good bike for a trip like this and why?  I appreciate your 2 cents..

• 2 weeks later...

Properly set up DR650. Either the XL-R or the DR would be a good choice, and both are going to require some mods to be what you want. There are lots of well set up DRs on ADV rider and others for sale, which will save you a ton of money from starting new and adding to it. I have owned the XL-R, KLR, and now DR and like the Suzuki better than the others by far. All failure points are known, maintenance is a snap, they are cheap, and work reasonably well everywhere including the slab ride from your home to the start (you can install the dirt tires when you get to the beginning) Check out the DR650 thread over on ADV rider or the drriders forum to learn all you could ever want to know.

Yep, both the XRL and DR are very very excellent choices. Also easy to find nice used ones that have been well maintained if you are patient. ADV Rider is probably the best source of info for adult riders. At your height I lean to the Honda but overall its a tossup.